Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not sure why i cant lose weight

I'm 21 years old and currently weigh 58kg and I'm 5ft 4. My body is probably what you would call skinny fat at the moment so I've been looking to drop a little bit of weight (aiming to lose about 3kg). Typically in a day I do not burn many calories as I have a desk job and I'm sat down all day - except for lunch when I go for a walk to the shop for half an hour. When I get home I go for either a 30 minute run or an hour walk 5 times a week. For the last 4 weeks now I have been tracking my calories religiously weighing foods and ensuring I eat enough fruit and veg during the day, I've been eating between 1400 - 1500 a day with one cheat day a week where I eat 2000 calories, and I haven't managed to lose any weight at all. I drink about 2 litres of water a day and get on average between 6 and 7 hours of sleep a night. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong, is it the cheat day a week holding me back? Can anyone suggest anything for me to do differently?

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

Has your weight changed at all?  I wonder if you are building muscle with the exercise?  You’re definitely within the healthy weight range for your height.  The cheat day wouldn’t be helping with that amount of calories though, and your calories might be a bit high if you have a sedentary job. You could try dropping down to about 1200 - 1300 calories and see what happens.  Perhaps also look at 16:8 fasting a few times a week,  to ‘surprise’ your body (as my dietician put it.)

Best Answer

My weights fluctuated over the 4 weeks between about 58kg and 57.5kg but that's it and by the end of the week its always back up to where I started. I'll try dropping my calories down a little bit more, I'm just scared to drop it too low as I've heard it can ruin your metabolism if you're doing it constantly (Not sure if that's true) and I don't want to put weight on when I go back to eating a normal amount. I usually eat within a pretty small window at the moment anyways having my breakfast at about 10:00 and my dinner at around 5:30/6:00 ish but I do have my morning coffee around half 8 so could that impact that?

Best Answer
0 Votes

I thought that about my metabolism as well (I’m on 800-900 calories, but I’m a lot heavier than you) but my dietician said it won’t.  She suggested the 16:8 to me.  If you’re having coffee with milk and/or sugar, then you’re breaking your fast at that time.   

Best Answer
0 Votes

Okay thank you I'll try lowering my calories and giving that a go see if it makes a difference! Ah that's alright then - I drink it black with no sugar so that doesn't impact it.

Best Answer
0 Votes