Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over estimating calories

Please can someone help as I’m slightly at my wits end.

My BMR is calculated at 1550 on my Fitbit, this is correct for my height, weight etc. I consume 1500 calories a day and I want to track my total calories burned to make sure I’m in some sort of deficit .

Yesterday, my Fitbit calculated that I’d burned 2417 calories in total, which puts me in a deficit of 867 calories. I did not work out. I was relatively active gardening and cooking etc and do between 8-10k steps a day but there is just no way I burned 867 calories outside of my BMR. I full understand what a BMR is which is why I know mine is correct, I’ve checked it using other websites.

Am I being really dim? I’ve contacted customer support but they’re just hopeless. Has anyone else had the same issue? I just want to be able to track the calories, simply! 

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

So Fitbit says you burned 2417 calories in total. But you want to track the calories, simply.  How could you want it be any more simple than saying you burned 2417 calories?

I guess I don't understand what it is you want.  Are you just looking for someone to tell you the Fitbit numbers are grossly wrong?  Is it that you want to believe that you are not in a calorie deficit?

Or is it that you want the Fitbit calorie burn numbers to be presented in some other format?

P.S.   You don't even have to be concerned about BMR. Fitbit includes that in your total daily calorie burn.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Double check the calculators you used and look at the fine print. A lot of the BMR's give you the baseline value that your body burns without any activity at all, which would be requirements to power the brain, keep blood pumping, keeping tissues and muscles alive, etc. They will then often ask if you are sedentary, lightly active, moderately active, and extremely active; which will then tack on additional calories for those levels of lifestyles. So even though your BMR is 1550, because you move about your caloric expenditure is going to be more than that. 

Best Answer
0 Votes