Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCOS and the uphill struggle of gaining no matter how hard I try

Hi everyone !! 

So I have been working at this for a year now. Last year I was in so much pain trying to get down in weight when November I hit a plateau. I am still technically at this plateau despite losing inches monthly. I was down to the 260s and since November I have actually been gaining weight again. Not for a lack of trying. Then I was diagnosed with PCOS by my gynecologist after I approached her with my concerns and after my PCP not knowing what was wrong with me. 

I am sad to say that that is as far as my diagnosis has gone. I have been researching what works the best and this week I celebrated a week of plateau. Since November I had seen in a week such a weight flux that it was discouraging. 4 pound gains in 2 days type flux. This week it was within a half pound! This is not for a lack of calculating my calories - which are 2000 or below most days. Protein intake has been increased. Water is no less than 100fl oz. And now I'm increasing my dietary fiber from 20 grams to 30 grams based on heavy research. I have also made the switch to lactose free milk and most of my major carbs are whole wheat (I even managed to switch my entire family too).

I take at least 6 different vitamins to help balance my hormones including inisotol for insulin resistance. This past month has felt great. I'm not dropping weight but I feel less bloated and less unbalanced. I am hoping that this coming week will show the decline in my weight I need. I am also anemic so 2 of my vitamins are to manage that. 

Ladies with PCOS I have discovered a plan that I'm not killing myself either! Monday and Friday are restorative yoga. Tuesday and Thursday are resistance days. I rotate days so one week it is leg then arms and the following week is arms then legs. Wednesday is HIIT and I never go over 20 minutes of HIIT.  I feel less fatigue. I feel less sore. 

The research I found has been helping with this. Let's hope that the balance stays and the weight comes off. 

Has anyone here experienced insulin resistance in the form of gestational diabetes? Both of my pregnancies I have had to have the 3 hour fasting test done due to it but when my doctor runs my blood tests I never come up with high blood sugar levels. With this happening I decided to go on inisotol to see what it does for my journey. 

Has anyone also seen weight gain by being put on birth control? I have been put on nexplanon and it seems to be causing a weight gain. This is super frustrating because it's meant to regulate my body but at the same time I'm packing on the weight. 

Anyway there's hope out there for my fellow PCOS but even I still have a bunch of questions for people who have had this longer than I have. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

@TheCemeteryMom2  I'm sorry you have PCOS which puts you at greater risk for lots of serious health problems.   When I was young I noticed what I thought was weight gain caused by birth control pills.  But I take estrogen and progestin replacement now.  Weird?  Anyway I only have one suggestion.  You might be lots better off to try to limit diary and grains.  Eliminate sugar, and flour.  Don't eat any bread.  Oatmeal is a whole grain and maybe the only one you should consider.  Artificial sweeteners are safe.  Supposedly Stevia has some benefit but I don't like it.   Eliminating flour will be hard for you.  Eat popcorn.  It is dry.   I have a book that states diary is bad for your health.   But it is so tasty.  Frozen blueberries and fat free greek yogurt is a favorite treat of mine.  Blueberries are very good for you.  I like to sprinkle in a bit of Grapenuts cereal for crunch.    I followed someone's suggestion and baked the cereal 10 minutes at 375 degrees on a baking sheet.  I haven't tried it not baked.  I was using chocolate sprinkles, but they have 8 times as many calories.

Best Answer

I went to fat free lactose free milk and also drink Silk almond and cashew milk (chocolate flavor to get the sweet snack taste) about 2 months ago the silk milk I went to in May. We switched to whole grain pastas 2 weeks ago. I have been 27 grain or oatmeal breads and whole wheat buns for about a year now. 

I'm rarely eating breads. When we get subs I take the bun off and to get my fiber in put it on a gluten free tortilla. I even switched to the impossible whopper when the family eats at burger king and the grilled caesar salad at wendys to reduce calories when eating out. 

Fruits and veggies are not a problem eating in the house it's keeping up with demand at this point. I grow my own cucumbers and tomato in the summer so I am having lots of cucumber salads (just cucumber and lite balsmic or a vinegar and Italian seasoning mix I make on my own. I'm a big sprout fan too. We usually have strawberries on hand as a snack with blueberries and raspberries and black berries.  I make fruit parfaits without the granola with it and vanilla greek yogurt. 

When I do eat dairy now its just cheese like cheddar (low fat), cottage cheese, or smoked gouda. 

Best Answer