Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perimenopause/ Menopause and Losing Weight

ANSWERED

Hi Folks,

My name is Yvonne and I am 53. I am presently going through perimenopause and what a shock it was to almost instantly gain 20 pounds over a couple of months! I wasn't particularly happy with my weight prior to that ( 5'2" and 150 but I'm curvy and sports/ exercise kept things in check). Now, most of my clothes had to be replaced, I feel the extra weight every day and my regular routine wasn't working at ALL! My Fitbit motivates me to move ( have to get all those circles completed...lol) but the weight is not going away. We eat very healthy ( have our own veggie/ berry garden) and I'm very active ( run or elliptical in the morning, walk later to get the rest of my steps peppered with kayaking/ hiking/ snowshoeing/ skiing/ etc as the opportunity arises. I've lost 5 pounds since I got my Fitbit 9 months ago. If there are any peri-menopause or menopausal ladies out there who could share their tips, please let me know. I've given up everything except red wine...that's a no fly zone for me. hahahahaha So, other advise welcome!

Best Answer
35 REPLIES 35

Great thread. This story could be mine for the past 10 years. I finally saw a doctor who checked my thyroid and hormones. I had a hysterectomy 10 years ago.  I had zero hormones in my body.I recently started BHRT pellets.  They’ve increased my energy level significantly but water weight gain has been difficult.  With a 500 calorie deficit daily now for two weeks - I still haven’t lost weight but I’m hopeful.  Have your hormones checked!!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Very timely response! I have an appointment on Tuesday! I will definitely
ask about this.

I’ve managed to lose about 8 pounds since January. Very, very slow going!
I’m still working out every morning and then trying o do something active
later in the day. Also, eating fairly healthy but a few slips lately due to
birthdays and the like. I’m hoping to start running again soon too but with
another snow storm on the way, the roads are not great for it! Treadmill
maybe!

Good luck to all of you! I don’t plan on giving up, yet!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Chiming in late here. I'm 49 and in peri as well. Interesting times! Track your food. My doc told me to reduce my carb intake (all carbs) to 25 percent of my daily caloric intake. It's tough!  But definitely a good thing to aim for. Point is, fill up on the good stuff--fruits, veg and probably you need more protein. Start weight training. When you build muscle it burns more calories even at rest. And we lose muscle mass as we age. I hear ya on the no fly zone, but track it with your food. You will see where the carbs come from! Sorry...that's a hard truth for us wine lovers. I was a regular drinker but gave it up. I felt so good--slept better, fewer heart palpitations & less anxiety--I didn't want to go back. Anyway, it made a big difference for me. Maybe give it a try. But definitely increase your weight training and protein intake. Check out Melissa Neill on YouTube. Weight loss for women 40-plus. She is in her 50s and looks amazing. Good luck!

Best Answer
I hear what your saying for sure! With the exception of the wine, I doing
all of your suggestions. I guess that’s where the frustration lies. It
isn’t getting me the results I would have expected. Before menopause, I
would be losing weight with all that I’m doing ( and not doing) now. It
seems like I can’t make it budge. I’ve cut down on the wine consumption but
it’s had little effect so far. Maybe I need more time for the muscle mass
to kick in. Lol. Thanks for the tips though! I think I need to step up my
weight lifting. Good luck to you too! ❤️
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you, I need it! lol!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi!  Firmly in menopause with all the weight-related frustrations here - have about 80lbs to lose, but extra demands on my time.  (Too young to retire). The Spring weather has inspired me, so looking forward to a bit of progress!

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, spring is amazing for getting out and moving! I’ve got a snag with my
Fitbit. It fell
Part on me and is no longer covered by warranty though this is a
replacement I received in September due to a battery drain issue. I did get
a discount on a new one though so it’s in the mail!! Good luck with your
weight loss journey! Keep us updated!
Best Answer
0 Votes

Well, it's been a while and I thought I would update. My new fitbit is now running into trouble so I'm trying to get that sorted. Advice - stay away from the Charge 5! Nothing but issues for loads of us. 

The weight is still an issue and it's still creeping up. I'm eating more plant based, smaller meals and more frequently. I even cut down on the wine. I'm doing weight lifting for 30 min and then a run/walk for 30. That's weekends and days I'm not working ( retired principal now subbing). On work days, I will do walks, treadmill uphill challenges, elliptical or a short weight lifting session. I haven't missed a day of some form of exercise since Jan. 1. I walk to my chores ( post office, meetings, grocery store) to get even more exercise. To say I'm frustrated is accurate. None of my clothes fit and I'm losing interest in social activities because I don't feel like myself anymore. 

I'm going to try a cortisol manager to see if that helps even though I don't feel unduly stressed. Has anyone tried that? Grasping at straws at this point. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

You are probably doing great. But if you really are hellbent on losing fat, you need to get really strict about sugar and carbs. Increase your weights, switch your cardio to 20 min of HIIT (unless you are already doing HIIT), and most important, focus on your food. Cut out all alcohol for a month and see what happens. Then up your protein intake. The idea is to build muscle, which burns fat. It is hard and might not be worth it! Lol. But that's what we need to do to lose weight at this stage. Good luck xo

Best Answer
0 Votes
Your tips are excellent. I've been increasing my weight and length of
workouts since November now and I tend to eat a lot of protein anyway with
vegetables. I guess the next step is the carbs, sugar and the last bit of
wine that I was having more sparingly. At this point it is a fight against
pleasures in the everyday versus pleasure when I meet and maintain my goal.
It's just such a kick in the teeth to have to give up everything when I've
cut back on bad and increased good in so many ways and it's not making a
dent. How is that even possible? I have to decide if it's worth the effort.
Not giving up yet but I'm closer to throwing in the towell and trying to
accept the larger me. Sighhhhh

Thanks for the response and the tips. Take care xo
Best Answer
0 Votes

I am 54 and going through the same menopause struggles, I have just started 8/16 fasting diet and have been doing it for 3 weeks and lost 3 lb.  I will keep you posted on how it goes, but my heart rate has come down and my skin seems brighter as well, fingers crossed it continues as I am going to a wedding in 5 weeks and need to get some weight off.

Best Answer
🥳Congrats on your start! Well done! The fasting used to work fairly well
for me post menopause but not now. Sighhhh. I’ve given up all liquor now
and anything considered junk (not that I ate a lot of that but for a
treat). I’m only a week in so not sure of the results yet. Still lifting
weights and running. Also supplementing with fun stuff like snowshoeing and
hiking. We are doing the Camino in April - 630 km in 26 days. Surely to
God, that has to help though I won’t be able to keep that up when I come
home. I do want to say that I’m grateful to be healthy - I’m 55 and my
health provider said my heart health is that of a 45 year old which I’ll
take any day! Just like to have this belly gone. 😒
Best Answer
0 Votes

This is me too!! I've always been fairly slim 5'5" and 130lbs and fit, but now at 50, I'm suddenly up around 148!! And very little changes to my lifestyle. It's so frustrating, but I think I'm going to agree with the idea that we now have to track EVERYTHING we put into our mouths. There are a lot of hidden calories in the day - a bite of this, or sip of that. I think that is the problem for me at least. I sneak food off my kid's plate that he doesn't eat - like a couple fries, etc. LOL. time to stop that.

Best Answer
0 Votes
It’s terrible, but nice to know I’m not alone! A lot of people find food
journaling helpful so go for it. My food intake is so regimented now that
there are no bits that are sneaking in. I even gave up my precious wine. 4
weeks = 0 results. We work out every day and eat well. In a couple of
weeks, we are heading to -or tubal to start a 630 km Camino so we’ve been
practicing by doing 20 km walks with backpack. Maybe I’ll lose a few pounds
on the Camino! That will be hard to maintain when I get back home though!
At this point, I’m entering the last stage of grief and starting to accept
that I may not be able to fight age, genetics and my failing metabolism.
The only thing left in my arsenal may be hormone replacement therapy which
has conflicting research regarding breast cancer. Not sure it’s worth
taking the chance.

In positive news, my doctor told me I have the heart health of a 45 year
old. 10 years shaved off is **ahem** good!. Just wish the hard work was visible
around my middle! 😂

Good luck with your journaling. Let me know how you get on!
Best Answer
0 Votes

I agree I think it is better to focus on what brings us joy in our lives than weight loss goals that may be unreasonable. I read recently that to maintain his physique, Tom Cruise, who is in his fifties and very active even when not filming something, *never eats more than 1200 calories a day* and doesn't touch carbs.

This is very low for an active man. So, yes it can be done. But will it make you happy? It takes a lot of focus and sacrifice and discipline. I have known college and Olympic athletes over the years and have seen how they maintain their bodies. It is a full time job even for the young. They do not eat what normal people eat, and they work out for minimum 2 hrs a day. And they were young!

I am guessing we all have more important things to worry about than staying action-hero ripped and shredded. It sounds like you are doing a lot of walking now and that alone is so healthy. Kudos! 🎉

Have an amazing time on your Camino trip! Don't forget to enjoy a glass of wine and maybe some cheese! xo

Best Answer
0 Votes
Thanks so much! I will
Definitely be having wine, cheese and carbs on this trip! lol.
Best Answer
0 Votes