Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please add option to count effective carbs rather than calories

ANSWERED

Like many on this list, I've found that counting calories is futile and a huge waste of time, especially as studies like described in the attached link, show that calorie counting is very ineffective compared to counting effective carbs.

I've asked before that an option be provided in place of calorie counting to count effective carbs in a similar way.  My previous requests were noted politely, but no action was taken.  I'm requesting that now be time to take action.

The link below is for very good article showing that effective carb counting or at least the low carb approach is much more effective than counting calories.  Please let me know soonest if action will be taken.

http://download-v2.springer.com/static/pdf/945/art%253A10.1186%252F1550-2783-1-2-21.pdf?token2=exp=1428669806~acl=%2Fstatic%2Fpdf%2F945%2Fart%25253A10.1186%25252F1550-2783-1-2-21.pdf*~hmac=4421bde5b29552025cada009e566c687b21a74509b2d11b64c01fde1924efb32

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
Best Answer
0 Votes
11 REPLIES 11

Quote from linked study in main post:

"

CONCLUSION

It is increasingly clear that the idea that “a

calorie is a calorie” is misleading. The calorie

content may not be as predictive of fat loss as

is reduced carbohydrate consumption.

"

Best Answer
0 Votes

I cound not get the link I provided to work so here is a reference to it:

Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition. 1(2):21-26, 2004 (www.sportsnutritionsociety.org)

Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition©. A National Library of Congress Indexed Journal. ISSN # 1550-2783

IS A CALORIE REALLY A CALORIE? METABOLIC

ADVANTAGE OF LOW-CARBOHYDRATE DIETS

Anssi H. Manninen, Advanced Research Press, Inc., Setauket, New York, USA. Address

correspondence to sportsnutrition@luukku.com

Received July 24, 2004/Accepted November 15, 2004/Published (online)

Best Answer
0 Votes
Best Answer
0 Votes

@ednicholson wrote:

Let's see if this link works:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2129158/

As much as you want to believe, it's just not so.

It's high complex (not simple, like processed sugars) carbohydrates and a bit of animal protien

and a bit of "good" fats, that will help you lose weight, keep it off, and will keep you healthy.

The high protien/fat diets (like the Atkins type) will result in some rapid weight loss over the time

of 6-12 months - and should not be continued, due to development of possible health problems.

The study provided, confirms the 6-12 month effects of high protein/fat diets.

Best Answer
0 Votes
The study you quoted as well done as described in the link I provided, but deliberately misinterpreted as also described, to make low carb look bad.  However, a less biased interpretation, as also described, makes low carb look very good and healthy, with no negative effects. Wonder why the bias? Who got paid to make us sickly?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@ednicholson wrote:
The study you quoted as well done as described in the link I provided, but deliberately misinterpreted as also described, to make low carb look bad.  However, a less biased interpretation, as also described, makes low carb look very good and healthy, with no negative effects. Wonder why the bias? Who got paid to make us sickly?

Eat what you want, and you do what you want.You can follow sensible advice, or ignore it.

This is not something I will argue with you about. You can read the (scientifically and medically)

documented adverse effects of high protein diets, and positive effect of complex carbohydrates.

Atkins died obese and with several adverse health problems - that's why I don't like the "plan".

I am not trying to get you to do anything, you decide. I will not respond to you further.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Troll?
Aikins died due to a head injury that caused incredible body inflammation as he died. His death had little to do with his diet.  So your quote was gross misinformation.
Best Answer
0 Votes

@ednicholson wrote:
Aikins died due to a head injury that caused incredible body inflammation as he died. His death had little to do with his diet.  So your quote was gross misinformation.

Read, dispel the propaganda you have been fed:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/doctor/atkins.asp

Best Answer
0 Votes

there's a good discussion of low carb vs low fat with links to articles here:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Weight-Loss/Low-Carb-vs-Low-Fat/m-p/731596#U731596

as to the OPs original issue, i think counting total carbs works quite well.  i lost a significant amount of weight counting total carbs.  (and maintained that weight loss)

there's a great article by Dr Peter Attia on calories/calorie counting if you're interested:

http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/do-calories-matter

LCHF since June 2013
Best Answer

I totally agree with you Ed. I would love to focus on carbohydrates using my new Fitbit Change 5. I have managed to lose weight when counting carbs, but not counting calories.

Best Answer
0 Votes