Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quitting Smoking and Not Losing Any Weight

If you recently quit smoking and cannot lose a single pound, read on!

A few months ago, I wasn't sure that I would be prepared or willing to changing at all. Ever. I really liked smoking and eating. Or eating and smoking - either way.

I guess it started on my last birthday, when I said I would quit and told everyone. Then I kept smoking and didn't even attempt it, but kept promising that I would at least try. Christmas came and went. Then New Years (what a good time for a resolution, but who wants to fall victim to resolutions. Aren't they so dumb?!), and then finally, my daughter's birthday in February. Faced with the request to quit smoking from my 5 year old sucked. She asked me so sweetly.

I bought an e-cig (which you should get if you are still smoking) and kicked it around for a while. I half assed my resolve to quit and clung to my cigarettes. But then one morning, I didn't have any left and I have never had another one. I kept it up with the e-cig for about a month until I realized that I wasn't even really smoking the thing anymore. So, I stopped - that was over 3 months ago now. Yay me!

During that time and against my better judgment, I weighed myself. You may not be surprised to know that I didn’t like the number, and I certainly didn’t want it to go up. I started a healthy eating regimen. Mother’s day came and my wonderful husband bought me a fitbit! The best present I have ever received – it has totally changed my life.

My excuse has always been that I am a busy, working mother – I have no time to work out! The fitbit suddenly made me aware of all the extra time I was wasting by sitting on the couch or not walking the dog.

So, after all of these actions: quitting smoking, changing my eating habits, reducing calories by a minimum of -1000/day, walking 10,000+ steps a day, I cannot lose a single pound.

I want everyone out there who is struggling as I am to know they are not alone. It is the worst feeling. After researching many, many hours, it is very hard to find information about this problem. Many websites discuss weight gain after smoking, but don’t explain why it happens. Or they estimate that your metabolism slows by an average of 200 calories a day. If that were true, I would still be losing weight. Many forums that I have found with a history of similar questions/comments being made about quitting and not losing are followed by a huge number of people saying it’s not true. It’s what you’re eating. It’s because you are not exercising enough. They just quit smoking and have been losing weight no problem.

Well, I’m not imagining things and you aren’t either if you are still reading along. I’ve found out that it can take anywhere from 6 months to a year for your metabolism to recover. I’m sure this varies from person to person. I’m hoping I’m around the 6 month mark!

Let’s use this discussion to post new information or strategies on how to increase our metabolism again and to make it through without having to pick up another cigarette!

AUG 2017 UPDATE!!

I see that people are still responding to this post, so I thought I would update it. It's been over 3 years since writing it, and a lot has changed for me. First of all, my body has healed and I can now lose weight normally again! For a while there, I sort of gave up. I knew it wasn't going to happen and I decided to give my body a rest. I would say that it took 2 years from the time I quit to where my body started functioning normally again. I highly recommend taking probiotics (24-48 billion) per day, as I believe this would have helped me with my gut bacteria even faster. I still take probiotics everyday now. I made some half hearted attempts at weight loss during then and now, which were mildly successful and only failed because I stopped. Now I'm down 27lbs after 4 months of keto and feel great.

For all of those just starting the non-smoking life, be patient. I know it's hard, but you will recover. You will flourish and you'll be healthier than you've ever been before! Give yourself time to heal. The body is amazing, just think of how long you've been smoking and how short a time it will take to heal from that. Amazing!

Best Answer
187 REPLIES 187
I understand ur panic, the same has happened to me.  I have searched the internet for an explanation, I've even asked my doctor.  My Dr seems to believe the unexplained weight gain and body changes is due to body trying to detox and learn to work without nicotine and other toxins we get from smoking.  Apparently smoking messed with our hormones and everything and according to my Dr dependingon how much we smoked it could take a year or longer for our body to reboot so to say.    Don't get discouraged, this is just a speed bump in quitting but it can be conquered to.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer

Hey ! How've you been doing? 

X

Best Answer
0 Votes
Agree! I haven’t been unable to find any information either. Very frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I don’t really understand how this page works.  We should all join a Facebook message or something. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm surviving, still haven't smoked but not because I don't want to.  How are you?

Best Answer
Could start a Facebook page, kinda like a support page and post it on this so the rest know and can join.

Best Answer
0 Votes
Find me on Facebook
Melissa Snyder Andrews!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Is your profile picture a picture of a lady drinking fireball

Best Answer
0 Votes
Haha. Yes! My daughters wedding! Was a rough day. Lol

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
The anxiety is horrendous , I keep thinking I've got all sorts wrong with me.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
I picked the worst time to stop smoking, I lost my dad on Jan 3, which was also the same day my husband went in for open heart surgery, then on Jan 30 I just stopped, didn't think about it didn't plan just stopped and everyday I wish I hadn't bcuz this crap is hard but that first 2 weeks after I quit was miserable and I survived that so I keep telling myself I can do it, I can lose the weight I gained, I can lose the attitude and moodiness I seem to always have, I just have to figure out how.

Best Answer
0 Votes
My hair and skin is fine, but the 20+ lbs I gained is definitely from my waist to my knees. I do an hour on my elliptical each day and stay well within my calories for the day and have been doing so for the past year and a half. Can’t lose a pound. I will be two years quit in May after smoking for 39 years.

Sent from Laura's iPhone
Best Answer
Yes can I join in on Facebook?

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Does anyone know how to setup a private Facebook group?  

Best Answer

Ok please add me 

Best Answer
I setup a group, Nonsmokers who want support,  my name is Rachel Adcock-Davis

Best Answer
0 Votes

Look for a  group called nonsmokers who want support or friend me on Facebook Rachel Adcock-Davis and then I'll add u to the group that way 

Best Answer

I sent you a message x

Best Answer
0 Votes
Love it!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

So here is the up date gained 30 lbs was on the low carb , weight  watcher nothing is working I am already active. But is is so discouraging still haven't smoked. One good thing just so depressing try not to let it bother me. Thanks for the encouragement from everyone

Best Answer
0 Votes