Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapid fat loss experiment

After bulking for the past five months (from 62.9 to 67.4 kg, +4.5 kg / + 9.9 lb, 0.9 kg / 2 lb per month), I’ve decided to experiment with a rapid fat loss phase: I intend to lose 6 kg (13.2 lb) in two months.

Here is how I’ve structured this phase:

1. During the first four weeks (January 2017), I will have 4 low calorie days and 3 maintenance days each week
  2. The fifth week (first week of February 2017) will be a break, i.e. I will eat at maintenance
  3. During the last three weeks of February, I will have 3 low calorie days and 4 maintenance days each week

"Low calorie" means 1084 calories, while expending 3000 calories (which has been my average expenditure for the past four months according to the more conservative estimate of my Surge). To keep it simple, I will be eating the exact same items each low calorie day (I’m not easily bored and this won’t last forever anyway). "Maintenance" means 3000 calories. If things go according to plans, I should have a weekly deficit of 7664 calories during the first four weeks and of 5248 calories during the last three weeks. The expected weight loss should be 1 kg per week during the first four weeks and 0.75 kg per week during the last three weeks. Total weight loss therefore should be (1 x 4) + (0.75 x 3) = 6.25 kg.

My low calorie day includes my usual breakfast (skimmed milk with dark cocoa, oatmeal, three egg whites), 250 grams of spinach, 250 grams of brocoli, 3 protein shakes (30 grams of unflavoured whey protein isolate, 90 grams of skimmed milk, 20 grams of ripe banana and 5 grams of dark cocoa) and 8 grams of fish oil. This comes to 140 grams of protein and 11 grams of fiber.

Don’t know if it’s going to work, but at least that’s the plan! Once it’s over (end of February), I intend to slowly bulk (+ 0.75-1.00 kg/month) for at least six months.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
42 REPLIES 42

@A_Lurker: yes, that’s what I found (I won’t say "the hard way", since no real harm was done): winging it isn’t optimal for dropping weight at a given pace and in a certain time frame.

BTW, I just listened to a interesting two-part podcast with Lyle McDonald (mentioning him since I know you also like what he says/writes) that touched (among other things) on dieting psychology. Here is part 1, and part 2. I recently got a nice Bluetooth headset that came bundled with my new smartphone and I enjoy being able to listen to this kind of things while walking.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer

@Dominique- thanks for the link.  I took some time this morning and listened to most of it.  As much as I'm falling naturally into a slow rate of loss there are times I itch for the faster loss.  I'm toying with the idea of doing his RFL protocol for a couple of weeks just to see the effect.  Then again I remind myself that my own personal history suggests that slow and steady may be a better option for me.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@A_Lurker: I believe Lyle McDonald advocates rapid fat loss primarily for people starting to diet, so as to provide the immediate reward of tangible results. In your case, you’ve been doing it for long enough to know what to expect and what it takes, and you have developed the right habits and mindset. So your approach of slow and steady, with diet breaks every now and then, is probably the optimal one for you. 

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer