I meant body fat index

--
Thanks

Victor Hashka
VBNH
Best Answer
0 Votes
6 REPLIES 6

Hi I am a transgender mtf and i am trying to transition via working out right now. And Im wondering what BMI formala i should use?

VBNH
Best Answer
0 Votes

BMI is not sex-dependent. If you google BMI calculator, you will find calculators have only height and weight as input.

Before posting, re-read to see if it would make sense to someone else not looking at your Fitbit or phone.

Best Answer

Hello @Vic007luvl, good to see you again in our Fitbit Commuinity. 

@JohnnyRow is right about the BMI shouldn't be considered based on the gender since the bases is your demographic information. But I see what you mean with this.

I'm not expert so just take this as my opinion based on what I've read. I time ago I read an article about this topic and the discussion was if it is important to keep in mind the Body Mass index for transgender users. Based on the opinions shared by the public on that article, the most common reply is there is not a established measurement for this to follow and at the end is not the most important to be healthy; since every body is different.

Many of this participants mentioned is important to keep in mind a combination for female and male gender BMI to have an average idea of the calculation for the BMI you need. However this statement was disputed by another opinion, mentioning the human body fat deposition patterns are far more influenced by hormones than most other factors.

So I believed is a complicate topic you have put on the table to give you the answer you are looking for. As with any fitness program, my recommendation is better to speak with a doctor before starting a plan so you have a medical opinion on this matter.

As an additional note, this is not a product related questions, so I took the liberty to moved your post to our discussion board: Manage Weight to maintain the readability of our boards and your topic has the desire attention.

See you around and hope you can find a proper answer soon.

Roberto | Community Moderator

"Great things are done by a series of small things brought together.” What's Cooking?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Vic007luvl wrote:
I meant body fat index

Maybe there’s a little bit confusion between BMI (body MASS index) and BF (body FAT). BMI is expressed as an absolute number, and there are ranges for underweight, normal weight, overweight and obese. BF is typically expressed as a percentage: your body is made of lean mass and fat mass, and BF % is fat mass divided by total body weight.

Take a female and a male, both 5’ 6" and 150 lbs: they will have the same BMI, 24.2. However, the female may be 25% BF, while the male may be 20% BF. Females tend to carry slightly more body fat than males in average. If the female is 20% and the male 25%, the female would be leaner than average and the male chubbier than average.  

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes
thanks so much

--
Thanks

Victor Hashka
VBNH
Best Answer
0 Votes

While I agree with parts of the hormone equation, you need to keep in mind that you can't change what's under the hood genetically.  

Based on your profile, I assume you are training for athletic competition and not aesthetics, so I would focus more on the training results as it impacts your sport vs. what a BF% number is/is not.

Best Answer
0 Votes