Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shift Work

Hi! Looking for any suggestions for people who work shift work and how they deal with the impacts it has on our weight loss! I work twelve hour shifts (three weeks of days/three weeks of nights). I weigh myself once a week, and even though I eat approximately the same and the steps/exercise are generally in the same ball park my weight loss is at least half of my usual weight loss when I work nights over days. I know sleep plays a huge roll in weight loss so I'm looking for inspiration on how to get through those periods of night shifts. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

I used to work that type of schedule and all I can say is don't.

Need more reasons:  https://sleepfoundation.org/shift-work/content/living-coping-shift-work-disorder

If you have to you NEED to catch up on your sleep debt and make it a priority.

Best Answer

I have a good friend who worked shift work for years. for most of those years he kept on top of what he ate and moved. Slowly over time he began to be less careful with food. he still went to the gym as much as he could but he ate at odd times, stopped logging, went for convenience instead of nutrition and gained over 60 pounds in less than a year. Coming off shift helped him to lose all the weight, get back into amazing shape and sleep how it is intended. If that is not an option, I think being super diligent in when you eat and what you eat is going to be the key. making sure to log everything and not succumbing to the 3AM hershey bar or whatever the vice is and making sure to sleep during your off time. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer