Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting all over again in December

Hi, I'm Linda and really want to finally be successful with losing weight, it's never been easy for me, wasn't heavy until I had my children well now I'm a grandmother and I'm still fat.  any suggestions would be great, I lose weight slower then a turtle, I changed my settings this time to wanting to eat 1000 calories a day at first then I might move it up to 1200, I didn't want to do the regular because then it just wants you to eat more to stay within that target rate...I would love some friends to chat with, or any advice, suggestions, motivation tips anything anyone could offer me...Thank you, and happy holidays

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 REPLIES 3

Hi Linda.

I saw a meme last week which you made me think of. You're not fat, you have fat. Granted you may have more of it than you wish to or need, but that doesn't define you.

I challenged most of the conventional myths this past year about weight-loss (slower metabolism at my age, hypothyroidism, work a desk job, etc.) and eventually dropped 70 pounds by tracking and managing calories. I used the analogy of being on a $15.00 per day food budget in which I was given $20 each day but with a goal of saving $35.00 per week. If I decided to spend more on a given day I could either adjust on another day or simply earn a little bit more. Using that logic I managed to average around 1,200 per day and on "bad" days would put in extra time either on the trails or in the gym; rarely would I cut back on calories beyond the 1,200 as I thought that was pushing it.

My advice to you would be to keep to a daily budget of 1,200 calories and put extra effort into making sure you're accurately recording what you eat. I've met quite a few people who inaccurately recorded calories and failed to lose weight as a result. Humans are notoriously flawed at logging and estimating portions and calories and getting better at that and keeping to the budget is where the secret sauce can be found. Of those people who I know personally who managed to accurately record calories and keep to their budget, all lost weight.

Also, burning more calories becomes much easier if you're moving. If you're not already doing so, try and accumulate 10k steps each day. You'll burn roughly 120 calories per mile and your body doesn't care if you cover the distance walking or running.

Good luck and keep us updated with your progress.

Best Answer

Hi Linda,

As a 5'4", 44-year old woman who's come down to 197 from 226, I can confidently say that you and everyone around you will be miserable if you try to stick to 1000 calories a day. 1200 is a more reasonable target and I'd have to agree with David that the goal should be to increase your activity. I work at a desk but make sure to go for a walk at lunch time every day. So even if I don't make it to the gym in the evening, I know I've gotten 30 minutes of activity for the day. It also helps to keep my head clear. 

You should also be mindful of where your calories are coming from. I personally try to avoid sugar and refined/processed carbohydrates and get most of my calories from meat, fish, poultry, nuts, seeds, and VEGGIES.  I never feel deprived and rarely have trouble staying between 1200 & 1400 calories per day. 

The greatest thing I've learned in this process is to be kind to and patient with yourself. At one point I tried a program called Optavia and one of the things they talk about is NSV or non-scale victories. These are things that you gain in the process of losing weight. My most recent NSV was sitting in a middle seat on an airplane and realizing I had wiggle room. 🙂

Overall, welcome! I wish you much luck and success on your journey to a healthier you. And remember, no matter how slow you go, it's faster than if you were still sitting on the couch. 

Have an awesome day!

Best Answer
Hi Linda, I'm also trying to drop weight. I've tried multiple different methods and now am happy just counting the calories. And moving, moving, moving. I think the moving more will help this time around. I'm in my 50s and feeling like if I don't do it now it'll never happen. And I want to be healthier as I age. Good luck Linda!!!
Best Answer