Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling to lose weight - with bipolar meds and need help with nutrition

I have had my fitbit for awhile now and I only average about 5,000 setps a day.  I have a job where I sit behind a desk all day.  I have started doing a early morning workout 5 days a week and doing a meal replacement shake for breakfast.  I have two issues that really need work 1) the nutrition and 2) that I seem to be fighting an uphill battle with the medications.  I have trouble with healthy food.  I am a picky eater so that make it hard too.  I know what to eat, but with work, homework and life in general we get busy and eat out way too much.  Anybody else out there deal with these issues?  Would love some support from some who understands.

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

Hi. I understand the struggle. I'm not bipolar, but I have PCOS (which makes it hard to lose) and I take amitriptyline for chronic pain. For me amitriptyline cause terrible cravings and makes weight loss hard. It is known for weight gain and while I haven't gained I haven't lost either. Feels like I'm fighting an uphill battle constantly.

I typically do great with my nutrition during the day, all the way up through dinner even, and then after that I kind of go off the rails a bit. I still haven't been able to break my emotional bond with food so when I get stressed, or have had a long day I typically go with the junk or easy to eat stuff.

Feel free to add me if you would like!

Best Answer

Hi Sherry, I eat out a lot too but I have found that no matter where we go (I do not do any fast food so I can't speak to that) the kitchen is more than willing to accommodate any request to make the dish to my standard of healthy. They will grill anything for me dry- no oil no butter. they will sub out fries, rice, pasta with veggies or a salad. I ask lots of questions about how the food is prepared so I know what I am getting. eating out isn't like what it used to be- now you can really make it healthy. best always, E.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Picky was my middle name.  When I was a kid, my father told me I had to stay at the table until I ate my vegetables...  So I slept at the table, and the next day I had to go to school.  I WON! 

My ex wife had bipolar.  That's rough.  I hope your meds manage it well for you.  Her's didn't and that's why we aren't together anymore. 

I have autism, which for me, makes it a little easier to diet and exercise...  Once I set my mind on something, I won't stop until it's done.  Down 32 lbs now, 2 pants sizes, and one shirt size in 5 months...  65 more to go...  I know my ex wife could be like that.  Get her mind, and that's all she would do.

I'm not a fan of fad diets, or meal replacement shakes.  I start my day with Breakfast Biscuits.  I usually find them in the cookie section at walmart of all things.  They are between 180 and 220 calories.  I either have them with 1% milk, or water. 

As for lunch and dinner, I've slowly made changes to what I ate.  At first I did simple things.  Double cheese burgers became singles.  My foot long sub at Subway became a six inch sub.  Then I started using the fitbit app to find foods when I went out that were lower in calories.  I logged everything I ate, and make sure I eat fewer calories than I burn. 

I slowly added food I HATE to my diet.  I was a classic Burger, hot dogs, pizza, fries, meat and pototes kind of guy for 48 years...  I ended up almost 100 lbs overweight, with high cholesterol and high blood pressure...  Today 32 lbs down, cholesterol and blood pressure normal...

I can't stand onions.  Or pickles...  yuck.  But pretty much all other fruits and vegetiables were on my do  not eat list.  I was picky picky picky...  Then I found out something, for me it was texture thing.  I hate squishy soft things.  I had black berries for the first time in my life the other day..   jury still out...

But I discovered I liked harder crunchy fruits and vegetiables.  Perhaps because I love chips.  I found out I love broccoli.

But each week I try to try different things.  I've greatly improved what I eat.

Green giant makes these steamer vegetiable packs.  2-3 servings per pack.  Total colaries around 120 to 250.  I've tried each one they make, and I live most of them.

But make slow changes over time.  Something simple I did, when i went to subway, instead of the chips, I got the apple slices...  If I ordered fries, I only ate half, and threw the other half away...

My 2% milk became 1%.  If I made pasta, instead of the whole meal being the pasta, half would be vegetiables, and other half would by part of my meal the next day.

If I ate out, I use the fitbit app to choose items off the menu low in calories.  Sticking to chicken or turkey instead of beef... 

But I had to mostly give up being a picky eater...  I ate strawberries the other day for the first time...  They pretty good... 

Baby steps, but you can do it...  I went to Chick fil-a and I got a grilled chicken sandwich and the fruit cup...  496 calories... 

Don't try to suddenly eat "perfect" all at once.  Try little things.  Eventually if you keep trying, you will find yourself completely changing what you eat.

I eat out all the time.  But I keep it between 500-1000 calories. 

It's just a matter of make smart choices, and being disaplined to stick with it. 

It's not easy, but once you do it for a while...  it becomes a habit, and a new lifestyle.

Good luck!!!

John | Texas,USA | Surge | Aria | Blaze | Windows | iPhone | Always consult with a doctor regarding all medical issues. Keep active!!!
Best Answer
I am the same way with stress too. Not only is stress a trigger for me with the bipolar it is also a trigger to eat and usually not the good stuff. I know exactly what you are going through.
Best Answer

For us eating out is fast food becasue it is quick and cheap.  With the 5 of us we cannot afford the better resturants where we can get a more healthy selection.  

Best Answer
0 Votes

The IRS had me between a rock and a hard place for about 6 years.  I had to eat the crappiest cheapest food each day.  My lunch had to be no more than $4.  And during that time period my weight balloned 60 lbs.  The irony of it is AFTER I got the IRS off my back I had to recover from this, I discovered I was a real idiot.  There are healthier choices at most fast food resturants.  I just chose to ignore them.  Grilled chicken sandwichs instead of burgers.  Wendy's you can get a baked potato or side salad instead of the fries.  Apples slices at Whataburger and Subway.  Sometimes buffets are cheap...  Doesn't mean eat until you can't walk.  If you have to order a burger, order the smallest one they make.  Avoid mayo, and fat creamy dressings like Blue cheese dressing or ranch.  Kentucky Fried Chicken has grilled chicken.  It's much lower in fat.  Stick to white meat for even less fat.  Eat one or two pieces...  Pizza meats have WAY to much sodium in them.  Stick with one meat, and lots of veggie toppiings.  Or even better only veggie toppings.  Order off the kid's menu...

If you drink sodas, or sweet tea, stop.  Go with plain unsweet tea, or just water.  Diet sodas while better than sugar sodas, mess with your body and are not good for you.

The breakfast drinks, probably full of sugar.  Not worth it.

Little choices, start with little changes, until you find you are eating healthier. 

Have you ever got on the fitbit app and tried to log the food you eat?  If not try it.  Spend some time looking at the places you eat at, and look for heathier choices.  You can lose weight eating at McDonald's every day.  You just have to choose to do so.  I didn't, 60 lbs later I working my ass off to lose it...  Down 33 lbs as of today...  64 to go...  I'm about to go walk 4 to 6 miles...  What are you going to do today?

Bottom line, take this from a FAT OBESE man, who is going to no longer be FAT and OBESE, if you are unwilling to do the things that will help you lose weight, and stay healthy, then you will end up Fat and unhealthy.  The only one stopping you, is you.  You have to choose to change.  No one can do it for you.  You're the one that has to choose to eat four 99 cent crunchy tacos at Jack in the box, instead of 8 for for $4... 

The only one stopping you is you.  A "you" can be quite the enemy to defeat.  Bipolar is a tough.  Being poor is tough.  Eatting at fast food is tough.  It's easy to give up, trust me I know this.  But make a heathier choice each day... and they will become habits... 

I started losing weight slowely.  1 lbs or so a week.  Now I'm losing 1/2 to 1 lbs a day.  I'm down two pants sizes.  One shirt size.  My fitbit is about to be too big for me, and I'll need a new a new smaller model..  Is there a park nearby?  Go walking 1/2 hour a day. 

What I didn't understand was that being fit, and healthy required a lifestyle change.  Eatting better, exercise, are part of it.  Big parts.  But it was really my commitment to change.  And my committment to do the things to make those changes.  To change who I was, to be who I wanted to be.

I hope you make the right choice.  Get active.  I think you can do it.  But it's up to you...  As Yoda said, there is no try, there is only do or do not. 

John | Texas,USA | Surge | Aria | Blaze | Windows | iPhone | Always consult with a doctor regarding all medical issues. Keep active!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

@sherrystrole- I actually looked on line and fast food places have come along way. But I have to tell you a funny story. Many many years ago before I cared about what I ate- like really cared, my kids were begging for Mcdonalds. I refused, they begged, we went. I knew that Wendy's and Burger King had veggie burgers, so I figured I could get one there too. So I asked for one. No one blinked- said OK, took the rest of my order and gave us our food. I opened my veggie burger- bun, mayo, pickles, lettuce and tomato. I didn't know if I should laugh or cry. I ate it- but that was the last time we went to fast food except chick fi la-that is a fave. John's post is filled with good ideas- much luck.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Hi Sherry....

I understand fully what you're going through. I am bipolar with a fun dose of schizophrenia for a bit of giggles..plus though i cook for a living ,I can be very picky about what I eat.

My job is my biggest trigger for both emotional eating and my mental health going on a disco dance. Stress is almost a way of life for me...

Only real advice i can give is basically get rid of any processed foods and chose their natural alternative.

I stopped drinking all soda, processed foods even the "healthy" ones. And rely on things like my crock pot and prepping food the day before.

I look at calorie,carbs,protein and sodium on everything.

Try to eat lots of fresh veggies and fruits that are in season,fish and turkey and lean beef. Im not sure if you are near a Wegmans store but they have package 4 oz steaks that are like 180 calories per steak..and are very filling.

I hit the natural food sections of stores but again look at everything so im not getting a high sodium or whatever. And buying organic isnt always needed...a bit of research can help with that.

I carb load to much but Thats cause I like wasa crackers for lunch

I lost weight 1st time with nutrisystem and elliptical  100lbs in 10 months

second time was cause i was in manic mode for way to long on top of a breakup 110 lbs in 9 month

But be realistic too ...

Best Answer

I'm there and understand.  I was diagnosed in my early 20's, tired Paxcil (made me Hulk-like) and Lithium (completely indifferent to everything) to self managed for over 10 years to whatever regiment I'm on now (can't remember the name of the drug) when I lost my little girl.

For me, I made it simple.  To start there was two choices:  Diet or Exercise.  IMO, changing the diet was painful, so I increased my activity.  

1. Joined a rec basketball league (after being out of the game for 10+ years) that plays a few times a week.

2. Brought home a high energy rescue puppy that requires a 3-5 mile walk almost daily.

3. Invested in a cheap weight set (cost less than a 6 month gym membership) that I use at a minimum 3 times a week.

Those three steps alone, took me from 330-340ish to the 290-295 range in a bit over 2 years (and I can run with kids half my age.)  Also by focusing just on the one aspect, I believe that it helped me to maintain that level of activity.

The big step that I've started at the beginning of this year is diet.  I'm honest in my logging (even when I cheat) and I've been able to drop to 175-180 ish in the last 3 weeks.

Best Answer

I can definitely relate to the constant weight struggle that is taking meds for bipolar disorder. I had some success with managing that from following a ketogenic diet (which some may say is a fad diet, I disagree as it's actually prescribed for epileptics either in lieu of or along side anticonvulsants to help manage epilepsy that is refractory to anticonvulsant monotherapy/multi-anticonvulsant polypharmacy; it is also being researched in being used to treat cancer, Alzheimer's disease, and a number of other things, so there is some medicinal value to it besides just its ability to promote rapid weight loss) as well as switching meds (I had gained 22.2 lb after switching from Latuda to Geodon, but after beginning the ketogenic diet, I wasn't able to make the scale budge a single bit until I switched to Abilify, after which I was able to lose 38 lb following the ketogenic diet over a period of about 4 months).

To say the ketogenic diet wasn't a pain in the neck would be a flat out lie, but in some ways, it was kind of fun meeting the challenges it brought. You have to get creative with it when it comes to managing your carb cravings and what to eat instead of them, which I kinda found interesting. 

Anyway... The benefits of Abilify were short-lived, as once I reached 15 mg, I developed akathisia from hell!! That was towards the end of last summer, and the same company who made Abilify (Otsuka) had just come out of Rexulti, touting it as "Abilify 2.0," so I decided to give it a try, thinking it would be better for me therapeutically and with less side effects. I had no idea how mistaken I was... Not only did Rexulti not help me, it made me worse, so I got demotivated and got off my diet, spiraled into a deep depression again, and just within the up-titration period, I gained 20 lb in just under 4 weeks, from getting off my diet I'm sure, but weight gain that rapid had to have been aided by the medicine.

I promptly discontinued that medicine at my next pdoc appointment, but discussed starting an older med, an antipsychotic of the typical class called "Stelazine," (trifluoperazine) which is supposed to be weight neutral part, much like Haldol. I started it mainly for anxiety, as it's FDA-approved for the short-term therapy of anxiety management after other options have failed (I tried literally all other benzos except Versed and Onfi with little to no success and was rapidly becoming a shut-in on account of my anxiety).

I responded better to Stelazine than I had to any medicine I have yet to take, I'd be willing to say. But unfortunately I started ballooning in size and weight with no change in appetite or diet... I was in denial that it could be the Stelazine because of how well I was responding to it, but after two months and 30+ lbs of weight gain (making a grand total of 50 lb weight gain within 2-3 months, which has never happened to me before...), I had to call it quits on the Stelazine, which meant all the progress I had made with my anxiety and bipolar depression came tumbling back down all over me again as I tapered off of it. Bear in mind that I was on Adderall XR 60-90 mg at the time of this weight gain occurring, and I wasn't eating any amount of what would be considered "excessive."

It's been 4 months since I quit Stelazine, and have lost very minimal weight since quitting. I've only recently gotten motivated to getting blood work to get to the bottom of it and see if there have been some major changes in any aspects of my metabolism or anything. Since my depression hasn't responded to any of the commonly-used SSRIs/SNRIs/SARIs (trazodone & nefazodone)/NaSSA (Remeron) along with many of the commonly used augmenters like Buspar (that was a disaster), several atypical antipsychotics, several anticonvulsant mood stabilizers, etc., my pdoc and I finally decided that it was the appropriate time to make the transition to an MAOI, so she chose Emsam, a transdermal MAOI, and supposedly one of the safest to take, and have been having quite a bit of success from it. She has been augmenting it with Dexedrine ER (which some doctors/psychiatrists may be hesitant to do due to the potential pharmacological interaction of hypertensive crisis) and, until recently, the tricyclic antidepressant nortriptyline (Pamelor) (until she raised my Emsam dosage, which is when she decided to take away the Pamelor), and have actually started losing the weight. She also augments it with the thyroid hormone Cytomel, and gave me Saphris 10 mg samples to take as needed as a "tune up" med. When I took Saphris the first time, it caused an immediate 10 lb weight gain, then I immediately lost it and kept losing weight (it was during my ketogenic diet weight-loss period). So I'm not so afraid of it causing any weight gain, and I'm not going to be taking it regularly anyway, mostly just to help for sleep (wow does it ever help with sleep! Restoril, Belsomra, and Rozerem can't hold a candle to it...)

My reason for posting all this is to let you and others know that where there are troubles, there are alternatives, even if the alternatives initially lead to success eventually turn out to lead to more troubles... lol. There's plenty of meds out there, and therefore plenty of alternatives. Of course I'm not advocating that one should just switch meds like one changes underwear, but I'm under the belief that one shouldn't become a slave to the side effects of their meds. Also, while it might not sound like an attractive option to take another pill to manage one pill's side effects, there are also plenty of meds that can help manage the weight gain... Topamax and Zonegran for instance (the latter of which is my mood stabilizer) can be used as mood stabilizers or adjunct mood stabilizers, and are known to cause weight loss in most people who take them. Some pdocs may use a small dose of a stimulant or anorexigen along with your mood stabilizer(s) to counteract the weight gain as long as they believe you're stable enough to handle it. As long as it won't destabilize your mood, a switch in antipsychotic or anticonvulsant meds can also help. If you're taking lithium, I've read that drinking plenty of water can help keep off the water weight with lithium, and if need be, the diuretic amiloride (Midamor) can be used without as much concern for raising lithium levels like with hydrochlorothiazide; furosamide (Lasix) has also been used and not shown to raise lithium levels.

Anyway, I wish you and everyone else all the best of luck in all your endeavors in taking care of both your mental health as well as all other aspects of your health!

Best Answer

Same issue, nothing worked, until keto and intermittent fasting.  Dr. Boz, YouTube.

Best Answer