Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tonsillectomy. No working out for 2 weeks and soft food. What to do?

ANSWERED

I got a tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy on Friday. I'm not allowed to do any sort of physical activity for two weeks, and I'm stuck on soft cold food until I can properly swallow. I don't want to do the whole, lose weight and gain twice as much back. What should I do? I want to try and stay healthy during this time, and popsicles and sherbet doesn't seem like the best wait to do that 😕 I have yogurt, but greek yogurt hurts my throat....

Note: I'm gluten free as well. 

Thanks!

Emily

Best Answer
0 Votes
3 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

Do you have a juicer? Fruit and veg juices with protein powder should be ok to swallow and won't pack on the fats and sugars the way ice cream will.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer

Once you are given the okay for hot foods bone broths are great for boosting immunity, and aids the body when it's trying to heal from a trauma, such as injury or sugery.  Also, you want to get a lot of protein, which is key to healing after surgery. 

Soft-boiled eggs would be a wonderful, nutrtitious protein to add in once you can have hot foods.  If you can't tolerate even a soft-boiled egg than make an egg drop soup by stirring the egg into the a chicken bone broth.  Bring the soup to a boil and then SLOWLY pour in a whisked egg, stirring the whole time.  This will prevent the eggs from chunking up once they hit the hot soup.

Avocados are great.  Here's a recipe for a healthy avocado pudding (minus the chocolate chips, of course):  http://paleomg.com/5-ingredient-avocado-pudding/

I find that using an avocado that almost over-ripe to achieve the best pudding-like consistency. 

A one-ingredient banana "ice cream" would also be nutritious and healthy: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-w-93414

Here's a recipe for a homemade frozen pop that incorporates the greek yogurt, that probably won't irritate your throat:

1 can coconut milk,
1 cup plain full fat yogurt
2 packets stevia
1/3 of brick of cream cheese (room temp)
3 T cocoa powder

Put it all in a blender until smooth. Pour into popsicle molds freeze 4 hours. Makes 8 good sized popsicles.  You can also add different flavored extracts, if you want to change it up from chocolate.

Unsweetened applesauce is another thought.  If it's too chunky, try running it through a food processer to get an even more pureed texture.

Best Answer
0 Votes

My latest addiction has been smoothies! Ive been buying fruit in bulk and portioning out single servings of the fruit in sandwich sized freezer bags to keep handy for breakfast, etc!!

I usually dump the following into my smoothies:

Strawberries, blueberries, naval orange slices, peanut butter, rice milk, mangoes, a little handful of spinach leaves (can't even taste it I promise!) Not always mixed all together but experiment and find stuff you think you'd like! Taste with a spoon as you go. Sometimes when I find them not being sweet enough I add a little but of stevia and it's just right!!

Hope you heal up and get back to your routine soon! Best of luck!

Hope this helps!
And don't forget, if it does, remember to mark your question as solved!
-A

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Do you have a juicer? Fruit and veg juices with protein powder should be ok to swallow and won't pack on the fats and sugars the way ice cream will.

Best Answer

Once you are given the okay for hot foods bone broths are great for boosting immunity, and aids the body when it's trying to heal from a trauma, such as injury or sugery.  Also, you want to get a lot of protein, which is key to healing after surgery. 

Soft-boiled eggs would be a wonderful, nutrtitious protein to add in once you can have hot foods.  If you can't tolerate even a soft-boiled egg than make an egg drop soup by stirring the egg into the a chicken bone broth.  Bring the soup to a boil and then SLOWLY pour in a whisked egg, stirring the whole time.  This will prevent the eggs from chunking up once they hit the hot soup.

Avocados are great.  Here's a recipe for a healthy avocado pudding (minus the chocolate chips, of course):  http://paleomg.com/5-ingredient-avocado-pudding/

I find that using an avocado that almost over-ripe to achieve the best pudding-like consistency. 

A one-ingredient banana "ice cream" would also be nutritious and healthy: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-creamy-ice-cream-w-93414

Here's a recipe for a homemade frozen pop that incorporates the greek yogurt, that probably won't irritate your throat:

1 can coconut milk,
1 cup plain full fat yogurt
2 packets stevia
1/3 of brick of cream cheese (room temp)
3 T cocoa powder

Put it all in a blender until smooth. Pour into popsicle molds freeze 4 hours. Makes 8 good sized popsicles.  You can also add different flavored extracts, if you want to change it up from chocolate.

Unsweetened applesauce is another thought.  If it's too chunky, try running it through a food processer to get an even more pureed texture.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you! These are good ideas 🙂 I was most worried about all the sugar in popsicles and icecream and you just helped a lot!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I didn't think of using my juicer! Must be the pain meds haha 🙂 Thank you for reminding me!

Best Answer
0 Votes

My latest addiction has been smoothies! Ive been buying fruit in bulk and portioning out single servings of the fruit in sandwich sized freezer bags to keep handy for breakfast, etc!!

I usually dump the following into my smoothies:

Strawberries, blueberries, naval orange slices, peanut butter, rice milk, mangoes, a little handful of spinach leaves (can't even taste it I promise!) Not always mixed all together but experiment and find stuff you think you'd like! Taste with a spoon as you go. Sometimes when I find them not being sweet enough I add a little but of stevia and it's just right!!

Hope you heal up and get back to your routine soon! Best of luck!

Hope this helps!
And don't forget, if it does, remember to mark your question as solved!
-A
Best Answer
0 Votes