Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to loose last 9lbs

ANSWERED

I just received a Fitbit recently, LOVE it! I use every tool the Fitbit app offers, they are great.

I can’t loose that darn last 8 or 9 pounds, been trying for months…any suggestions? 

*I have already lost 30lbs over the past year on my own. I was using a pedometer app on my phone. With Fitbit, I am now logging my food, eating very healthy and maintaining well below the 750 calorie deficiency. Also, I’m maintaining at least a minimum of 12k, but the last few days have bumped it up to around 18k steps daily. Plus, going to the gym consistently (rowing, elliptical and vary the treadmill on a steep and switch back and fourth to semi-steep incline) for around 60 min. 3x a week.

*PS. I have a shoulder injury so I can’t weight train.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi, @Jen_5, I know it is hard, but I would suggest taking the last pounds very slowly and letting your body gradually settle in to your lower weight.  That way you are much more likely to maintain it. A maintenance period will help lower, and keep lower, your "set point" -- that's the weight you naturally bump to.  You can lower that "set point", but it takes time.  I would say that for a woman, once you are less than 10 lbs from your goal, 1 or even only 1/2 pound a week is the maximum you should aim for.

My friend @Dominique has lots of good information and good sense on this topic.

Congratulations on the 30 pound loss!  And congratulations on keeping it off for months.  I know that sounds frustrating, but it is actually a big deal!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

I defer to the guru below

Community Council Member

WmChapman | TX

Ionic, Versa, Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, 3 SE, AltaHR, Flex2, Ace, Aria, iPhoneXR "Every fitbit counts"

Be sure to visit Fitbit help if more help is needed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi, @Jen_5, I know it is hard, but I would suggest taking the last pounds very slowly and letting your body gradually settle in to your lower weight.  That way you are much more likely to maintain it. A maintenance period will help lower, and keep lower, your "set point" -- that's the weight you naturally bump to.  You can lower that "set point", but it takes time.  I would say that for a woman, once you are less than 10 lbs from your goal, 1 or even only 1/2 pound a week is the maximum you should aim for.

My friend @Dominique has lots of good information and good sense on this topic.

Congratulations on the 30 pound loss!  And congratulations on keeping it off for months.  I know that sounds frustrating, but it is actually a big deal!

Best Answer

I agree with @Julia_G on almost everything she said. Though, @Jen_5 you say that you can't weight train due to a shoulder injury. I would encourage you to look at weight training things that you can do that don't strain your shoulder. There are many core and lower body exercises that could benefit you that wouldn't hurt your shoulder and could actually help in the long run, note here that not too long ago I had a rotator cuff injury and just this month started to get into full body weight training. Things like squats and lunges, box jumps and sit ups are going to help build muscle to raise your metabolism a small amount.

Best Answer

@Julia_G wrote:

@Jen_5: I concur with @Julia_G, it’s a big achievement and I would try to see the glass half-full rather than half-empty. I suggest you have a look at the "Losing All Your Weight At Once" presentation by Dr. Mike Israetel, mentioned in the discussion on the Dreaded Plateau. Maybe it will make you reconsider your priorities. Maintaining over the long term the lower weight you’ve your reached is more important than going after the last 8-9 pounds. This doesn’t mean you can’t or shouldn’t go after them, but you can take your time.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

...saw the trendweight dashboard in your signature @Dominique

Signed up, very cool! Thanks, needed it.

Community Council Member

WmChapman | TX

Ionic, Versa, Blaze, Surge, Charge 2, 3 SE, AltaHR, Flex2, Ace, Aria, iPhoneXR "Every fitbit counts"

Be sure to visit Fitbit help if more help is needed.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you all VERY much! I will try your suggestions. 

Best Answer

Sorry about your shoulder.. Hope you feel better. I have a lack of range of motion, so many exercises are out of the question, sure you can relate.  Some great suggestions here. I really appreciate the responses and advice from everyone. Thanks again.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Finally started slowly loosing again. Thanks again everyone! Have a great weekend. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Well done, @Jen_5!  Keep us posted how you are getting on.

Best Answer

Thank you! Have a wonderful weekend. 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes