Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding the calorie deflect

I'm just curious about the calorie goals. I have my weight loss plan set to a 750 deflect. At this time, I have burned 1482 calories and eaten 797. That is less than 700 calorie difference, why is it reading that I'm under target?

It claims I can eat 426 more calories for today.

I understand that the numbers get adjusted as I burn more calories but I don't understand how I'm under target right now.

Thank you!! Sorry, I'm new to the app 😕 

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

It's because the app knows you will burn at least your BMR till the end of the day. It does some prediction taking this into account I believe. At least I understand it that it works this way. Also, notice that when the new day starts you are "in the zone" despite burning 0 and eating 0. I don't know exactly what formula is used to estimate those values but logically it has to assume that you need to eat to live despite your planned deficit 😉

Best Answer

your fitbit is calculating what it anticipates you will burn as your base based on what you entered as your stats- age, weight, etc. then it looks at how active you are being and uses an algorithm to say if you continue at the same level of activity your expected burn will be XX. This second part is changing based on your activity level through out the day. you want to be at a deficit for the day, not at every interval through out the day. The easiest way for me to track is to add my food and look at the total as I go. I don't care what fitbit says I have left, I know that at XXX calories in, I will lose my weekend gain or I will stay at maintenance, etc.

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer