Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valentines Day to April 18th

@Bobbinyc, I hope it's ok for me to plagerize your Christmas to Valentine's Day Topic Starter but it was absolutely perfect!!!

Welcome all Challengers!  What an amazing group we have!

Let's all continue together to take off the excess pounds and keep getting healthier.

This challenge will begin on Valentine's Day and finish on (American) Tax Day - 18 April 2017.   (Really!  It's the 18th this Year, not the 15th!)

All you need to join this challenge is to post your stats regarding your weight, and check in weekly or as often as you'd like. We are a great support group and enjoy keeping up with each other and being there for our ups and downs.  Generally we have found that the more we check in and offer support, tips, info,  and ideas to others, the more we get for ourselves.

We list our weight, as well as any other goals we might have related to being healthy (such as increase water, more active minutes, etc).  Developing good health habits is primary.

A little rundown of terminology for anyone who is new.

USW- Ultimate Starting Weight

CSW- Current Starting Weight (for this challenge)

GW- Goal Weight   (for Feb 14)

UGW- Ultimate Goal Weight   (what your healthy target weight is)

PW- Previous Weight

CW- Current Weight

MFP- My Fitness Pal

List as much info as you like.  Some people include age, gender, height....whatever seems relevant to you.

We keep it as serious or light as we feel, but we always keep it focused on being as healthy as possible, while we support each other kindly.  We can do this together!!

Saint Helens, Oregon; 5'2", 72, FitBit Charge 2 (Retired FitBit One 13 April 2017)
Best Answer
926 REPLIES 926

@dancefoxtrot

Barbara, you look so beautiful, graceful, elegant and full of joy!  What a wonderful combination of classy and fun.   I just love that video.  Thank you so very much for sharing it.  

I had stopped watching Dancing with the Stars years ago  because to me it got trashy  - They hardly wear anything.  I mean, can't they afford more material for their costumes?   And the dancing got raunchy instead of elegant and classic.

It is so wonderful to see real dancing again.  You are a class act.

I am so happy for you that you have this in your life.

The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up
Best Answer

@Ava_  We all go through this.  Often more than once.  I would try logging again, just so you know you are in reality with what you are eating.  If snacking is really a problem, what are some solutions?  Can you carry healthy snacks with you?  I sometimes carry tiny bags of nuts and raisins if I'll be out for hours.  It is filling, healthier than junk, and avoids cravings.  What would work for you?  I know you can do this.

Best Answer

@em.kz You are doing an amazing job and I hope you are proud of yourself. You have been learning so much and practicing such great skills.  Sometimes our bodies just need to catch up with what we are doing.  Give it a bit of time.  You can always re-evaluate what you eat and how much exercise if you need to.  Meanwhile, feel great about what you are doing for yourself.

Best Answer

@GettingfitinSC  Our bodies don't change in a straight line, no matter how reassuring that would be.  I hope the scale is kind to you, but, regardless, you are getting healthier and that matters most.  You wil get there.  You can do this.

Best Answer

@Florriel  You absolutely will get there!  It is so impressive that you are getting that much stronger.  You must be so proud of yourself!  And to be a starting pitcher!! Wow.   I love all the non-weight victories - to me they are what life is really about.

Best Answer

@almost_where  I totally agree with you about salt.  It is really amazing how much is put into every can, frozen meal, sugary junk, etc.  Cheap food is made to taste "good" with salt, sugar and unhealthy fat.  Once you manage to get rid of the junk and eat clean, that stuff doesn't taste good anymore.  We have just gotten so used to it.  It's really sad the entire food industry does this.

Best Answer

@Ava_  You made me laugh with your first sentence, "this is all going horribly wrong!"  I know that feeling. I logged everything for such a long time and then just got tired of it. It is tedious, especially if the food isn't in the database and the label doesn't list the calories, etc.  Between not logging my food and fall weather/shorter days, I gained back  8 or 9 pounds.

I'm not happy about it, but it happens and as long as we figure out why and correct it, we'll be okay.  Also I'm exactly like you when I'm tired! I crave junk food and don't have as much impulse control.  The only way that I can keep my mitts off of junk food when I'm tired is to go somewhere else with limited or no access to the food.  But again, I've learned that this is an issue for me. Knowledge is power!

Personally I'm excited about warmer weather and longer days, as it makes it much easier for me to exercise. So I have hope! I hope that you can find something to give yourself that positive outlook, too. Feel free to share anytime and DM, if you want.

F, 53, 5'9", PA
Best Answer

Thank you @GettingfitinSC @Bobbinyc and @DJC_63 for your kind words of support!  Logging food is definitely what works for me, but it is very boring to do.  I get so hung up on numbers and dates,  When I first started this weight loss thing with the Fitbit, it calculated that I would reach my current target (not UGW) by March 25th (having started on December 30).  This date keeps getting pushed further and further back.  Its a struggle to even get the steps in on some days, but I am glad I have this forum and my little motivator (that smiley face on the fitbit app when you reach your goal is a ridiculously beautiful thing to see Smiley Happy ). 

Slow and steady is the way to go.  I don't want to gain again. But sometimes it seems an endless task.  I think I just need to change my mindset and approach this as a long term change of lifestyle rather than a 'diet' or a temporary measure.

@almost_where it is amazing just how much sodium there is in everything!  Even a can of peas is full of salt and sugar.  Frozen vegetables are much better.

@Bobbinyc you are right about having healthy snacks on hand.  When I prepare for the week I can do really well, but I have been very stressed at work at the moment and not much sleep.  The kitchen holds temptations which I succumb to - I really need to make sure I have only healthy options in the house and that may help.  Plus taking that little bit of time to plan for each week.

Best Answer

It has been about a half a year since I have posted on one of these. But since then I have lost maybe 15 pounds. I am ready to start making the serious commitment again as the warmer weather may have made an official comeback. That and my fiancé is even looking to participate in eating better at the moment. (He at least has given up candy for the time being!).

My current weight is 158.6 lbs

Goal weight by April 18th is 154 lbs

It may not be a lot but I notice my weight likes to spike in the mid 160's if I don't watch what I eat and I would like to get more consistently to the 154 lbs range. 🙂 I have been picking up different workouts since last time I was on here. I have started to teach myself to run here and there. Following Blogilates, Pop Sugar Fitness on YouTube, some Zumba DVDs. But I really look forward to breaking in the bike I got for Christmas this year. While my steps may not be as high as they used to get, I am still up for step challenges (they make sure I get at least the recommended 10k) so send them my way if you are looking for a challenge buddy!

Best Answer

😞 Ok, so @Ava_ I have to say, you had the words to say what I need to say this morning, "This is all going horribly wrong!" My weight was 218.4 this morning, 2 lbs more than yesterday. My scale is backwards! I'm really hoping it's bloating and will drop back down just as quickly. Just in case, I'm eating bare minimum today and drinking piles of water. Going to try to get extra steps, but energy level is very low. 

Best Answer

Hi all.  I'm still around.  When I was posting a couple of weeks ago, you were so supportive and had such great ideas.  My family is shocked by how I am acting.  Usually I say, "I've got to take off some weight" and next thing they know I'm on some diet and by now I would be off it again.  I've taken the last week to just think about what I need to do.  I am still logging, like @A_Lurker recommended.  I was shocked by the number of calories I was eating and by how low I have been on fruits and vegetables.

I wasn't going to change anything until I had a plan but realized that was my usual all or nothing thinking.  So, I am slowly trying to eliminate all of the junky stuff.  I tried going off soda.  I think I am addicted!  That has been a real struggle.

I like that @HeartBiller and @GettingfitinSC talked about doing something for life.  So I've been thinking a lot about how I really want to be eating.  I've been reading a lot of the authors mentioned here like Fuhrman and Hyman.  It was overwhelming at first.  I had to give myself permission to just read and get ideas, not follow someone's plan exactly.  I've talked with my family alot about the different ideas I've been reading.  I think we are all going to do this together now.  This never would have happened if I just grabbed onto the latest fad.  Now we all know so much more about nutrition.

It is really great to see my kids thinking about it.

I also bought some new sneakers in a running store and had them fitted in a good store by a pro, not just a salesperson in a sporting goods store.  Someone here suggested that too.

I've been mostly doing a lot of thinking about my reasons for getting healthy and losing weight and about how I have sabotaged myself.  @Bobbinyc  had pointed out two things to me.  One was that I took great care of my son when he was very sick and that meant being assertive, resourceful, putting my own emotions aside, focusing on the tasks, standing up to authorities, etc.  It was so odd to see the qualities she saw in me just from my one little story.  I never thought of myself in those ways at all.

The other thing Bobbi pointed out was that I put myself down a lot.  That was a shock too.  It has just been so automatic with me.  

You all have given me a lot to think about and now I feel more ready for a change than ever before.

I got over the frustration of not jumping in  and I actually now enjoy just thinking things over a bit.  I've been doing a lot of writing in the notebook someone here suggested I get.  Even though I haven't been able to stop criticizing myself, I do notice it a lot now.  It helped me ask my husband to stop criticizing me.  He said he didn't realize he was and apologized in the sweetest way.  It's like I have been going through life not paying attention to myself.  I actually told my family that I am always there for them but it is there turn to give back.  I need this badly and I can't lose weight and be healthy if they are taking me for granted.  That has to stop.  We have to be extra kind to each other all the time.  I don't want to make my family life sound bad.  It isn't at all.  I just want it to be better.

Oh my gosh I've written so much.  I'm sorry.  

Thank you all for your support.  I can't tell you how much it means to me.

Best Answer

@Gayle1018 wrote:

survived the dentist!  2 1/2 hours arg! (so had a DQ blizzard for supper) little over my #'s but not too bad.  I did get over 6K in steps, which isn't bad cause it's still raining here and working full time.  Gonna shoot for 10K goal today and stay in my calorie range.   

My dream is to be at my goal by Summer with the slow steady - don't put it back on theory,  got about 12LB to go... but trying not to get hung up or depressed if I don't loose or fluctuate,  Need to learn to maintain!  

OK that's my day,  hope everyone else is doing well  - Heart

“Start by doing what’s necessary, then do what’s possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible.” – Francis of Assi
OK, finally got brave and weighed in Smiley Sad  I am up but well deserved as I haven't been behaving very well. So now that I've faced it, can move forward -- decided I do need to stay accountable to myself and this group has made me well aware of not giving up!   So,

USW- Ultimate Starting Weight  196.6

CW: 157

4/18 goal: 153

UGW  143  (and maintain!!! 142-146 range)

I'm planning on going on a kayak/camping river trip for 2 1/2 days this summer - for reflection and Rejuvenation  - SO, would love to be at my UGW by then.   I do have emotional issues in getting under 150, so think that's were I'm stumbling -- every time I get there or close, seem to torpedo myself.  Time to move on!  

thanks all for letting me share and own my thoughts.  have a good week.l

Best Answer

Well, I just got home from walking the mall with Mom. They are doing construction on a few of the stores so even though they have walls up to hide their work, there is dust on the floor and it's hard to get decent grip with your shoes. I found I just couldn't keep a good pace. Mom said the same thing. We did our three laps, planned a family femmes (ladies) breakfast for Sunday, and dreamed about the warmer days when we could begin to walk in the natural parks. 

We witnessed the aftermath of a traffic collision that took out a fire hydrant (!) and a stop sign near the top of my street. We had snow overnight and the roads were a little slippery if the driver had removed winter tires already (yes, we have to switch tires depending on season). 

@terryrunning I'm impressed with your approach to your new plan for life and getting everyone on board. We are all self-critical and don't give ourselves enough credit. We really are awesome.

Regarding salt...someone (I think it was @Ava_) mentioned how much sodium and sugar is in canned goods and then said frozen was so much better. Well, I am here to say...What about FRESH??? Ok, I'll quiet down. I know that canned and frozen are quick, can be convenient. But, ultimately, the best tasting and best nutritionally is fresh, and in many cases, raw. I can't eat the canned stuff because of the salt. I can't eat the frozen stuff because it causes havoc with my Irritable Bowel syndrome. Ya, I know...frozen veggies do that?? But yes. If I eat them I'm in trouble. Fresh fresh fresh. Does the body good. 

Atlantic coast of Canada, 52 F, Fitbit Inspire HR.
Best Answer

Never fear, @GettingfitinSC, we'll keep encouraging you and challenging you!!!

Saint Helens, Oregon; 5'2", 72, FitBit Charge 2 (Retired FitBit One 13 April 2017)
Best Answer

Well it is a new day and my rings are looser today so some of the retaining water must be leaving... YAY! I am so over this past week/visitor. I am ready for some getting back to normal.

Well I had a friend invite me to a work out class tomorrow evening. That should be interesting for many reasons...lol. I did agree to go, because I so need it. But, I have nothing to wear to exercise in. Some might find that funny as my friend did. BUT I have not purchased anything like you would work out in, since I have lost weight. I have purchased second hand slacks, jeans and shirts. BUT I don't think I want to exercise in slacks or jeans. So today's task, at least find something I can work out in...lol. I haven't done a "workout" in at least 20 years, so again, I am thinking it should be interesting. To think I agreed to do my first work out in over 20 years in front of people...lol. Oh well we have to start somewhere..lol.

@terryrunning  It took me so many years to learn I had to make a life long change. It is a very slow process, but I am figuring it has to be so worth it. Everything I have ever read about weight loss and keeping it off, states the slower you loss it, the more likely you are to keep it off. So that has to be motivation enough!  I have had several times I don't lose at all for a month, but I don't gain more than a pound or two either so I count that as a success, because during those times I am eating a lot more things I know I shouldn't be. So I guess I count that as my body adjusting and then I get right back on the eating healthier train again. You know there are always going to be those birthday, anniversary, wedding, baby shower, parties. We do indulge more than we should. We just have to learn to recover quickly. (or at least I do..lol)

My sister and I were kind of doing this at the same time and were both doing fairly well over last summer and into the fall. Then in last few months she discovered she was pregnant. So she kind of gave up on the journey we were on. I had made a challenge to her to lose a pound for every pound she gained... BUT so far I am not doing good with that...lol. I guess time will tell in the end..lol. Anyhow with that being said, We were both at moms over the weekend and she was commenting on my weight loss and she says to me that I am not realizing how small I am.  Now I know that can be taken in many different ways. But the fact that I am still considered obese by the height & weight guidelines.. it kind of surprised me for her to say that. I do realize I have lost weight and soon I will not be considered obese, but only "overweight"..(who thought we would be happy to be "overweight"). I am not aiming to be a stick figure, nor do I think I could ever get that far...lol. BUT I did find it interesting that my mom and my sisters think I have lost enough. So I guess my point of this all was to say, I guess it is all about our own happiness and health. I am much happier now with my weight and health than I was 47 pounds ago. BUT I am not where I want to be and am not even close to where the BMI calculator says I should be..lol. This is my journey and I have full intentions of reaching my goal which by the way will still put me in an "overweight" category. Who knows, maybe I will just keep going and one day see the words healthy BMI...lol.  OK rant over...lol.

I am very glad to see the rings loosing up and in a strange way looking forward to the work out class tomorrow night. I am so wanting to make this goal and it is going to take things like this to get me there. SO here is to another day! I hope you all have a wonderfully blessed day!

Rhonda - 46 - F - Kentucky - Charge HR
Best Answer

@Bobbinyc Thanks for the kind words - you are right I will get there eventually 🙂 This time last year I would never have guessed I would be playing Fastpitch this season let alone pitcher!

@HeartBiller - good for you on taking the plunge into the exercise classes. We all had to start somewhere and believe me I was no slim jim then or even now. I know what you mean about the loose rings. My wedding ring feels like it is going to fall off sometimes when doing those jumping jacks. Maybe your sister was trying to be encouraging by saying " hey you are doing well, you look so much smaller these days" not really asking you to stop your efforts. I went out for a evening with some friends I had not seen in a while last week and they were "wow you look great". Now I know I still have a ways to go but I am also looking a whole lot better than this time last year so I took that as the compliment it was intended as.

On a personal note I had my check up at the gym yesterday and the trainer took my measurements. In three weeks I have lost 3cm off my waist and 2cm off my hips. To say I was chuffed was an understatement. Its good to see that all those exercise classes are doing their job. I can certainly feel muscles where I did not have them before 🙂

Best Answer

@_Lilac_ Smiley Happy Yes!  Fresh is definitely best!  And seasonal is even better.  I don't know what the fresh fruit and veg is like for you (I am in the UK) but the stuff that's not 'properly' in season is often tasteless (tomatoes for example, or apples).  I was on a camping holiday last summer in the South of France and the fruit and vegetables just tasted so absolutely lovely, bursting with flavour.  They say that the 'Mediterranean diet' is the way to go for longevity - I can see why with it all tasting so good.  Must be the soil (and the sun!).

Best Answer

@Ava_ I am on the Atlantic coast of Canada. We depend on importing a lot of our fruit and veg from the US and South America. Seasonal stuff is definitely the very best. Our strawberries are the best in the world (gotta be something in our soil), so some big producers in the southern US came and bought our plants to splice with their large ones so now the strawberries coming out of Florida taste a bit more like ours. We can't grow a lot of things because our season is just too short, but some things you just can't beat. 

We can grow a little in our gardens but I am NOT a gardener. I'm quite useless. I put in potatoes sometimes and I get a few hands full or those mini ones. Sooo good. Tomatoes do well here. But I don't weed or fertilize and I'm terribly lazy. We are still buried under snow and our post-frost planting date is June 15, so you can tell our growing season is short! 

Atlantic coast of Canada, 52 F, Fitbit Inspire HR.
Best Answer

Valentines to April 18
USW 208 (5/22/16)
SW 169.8 (2/14/17)
PW 171.8 (2/21/17)
PW 171.3 (2/25/17)
PW 168.6 (2/28/17)
PW 173.2 (3/7/17)
PW 173.5 (3/14/17)
PW 170.9 (3/21/17)
CW 169.6 (3/28/17)

UGW 158 (5/22/17)

Plan: mfp food tracker and exercise 5 days per week

Best Answer

@_Lilac_  I totally agree about fresh vegetables.  I used to have some auto-immune issues.  One day I ate in a restaurant with some friends and I asked if they used MSG.  They said no and 20 minutes into the meal I was having a strong reaction.  A few of my friends felt it too, but not as strongly as I did.  I thought, if I am reacting so much to one chemical, maybe I am reacting to others.  So, I started using organic food.  Now that is almost all I use.  It has made an enormous difference for me.  At least I think that is what helped.  I get all my vegetables from a local farm co-op.  It helps the farmers stay in business, stops the spread of housing developments, and I get to have fresh picked organic produce delivered near my home at a good price, recipes included.  ok, some of them I have never seen before, but to me that is part of the fun.  And I have a stronger awareness of growing seasons and what farmers go through to feed us real food.  I share a box with a friend.  I highly recommend it.

The food smells great, tastes great, and is beautiful to look at.

Best Answer