Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Valentines Day to April 18th

@Bobbinyc, I hope it's ok for me to plagerize your Christmas to Valentine's Day Topic Starter but it was absolutely perfect!!!

Welcome all Challengers!  What an amazing group we have!

Let's all continue together to take off the excess pounds and keep getting healthier.

This challenge will begin on Valentine's Day and finish on (American) Tax Day - 18 April 2017.   (Really!  It's the 18th this Year, not the 15th!)

All you need to join this challenge is to post your stats regarding your weight, and check in weekly or as often as you'd like. We are a great support group and enjoy keeping up with each other and being there for our ups and downs.  Generally we have found that the more we check in and offer support, tips, info,  and ideas to others, the more we get for ourselves.

We list our weight, as well as any other goals we might have related to being healthy (such as increase water, more active minutes, etc).  Developing good health habits is primary.

A little rundown of terminology for anyone who is new.

USW- Ultimate Starting Weight

CSW- Current Starting Weight (for this challenge)

GW- Goal Weight   (for Feb 14)

UGW- Ultimate Goal Weight   (what your healthy target weight is)

PW- Previous Weight

CW- Current Weight

MFP- My Fitness Pal

List as much info as you like.  Some people include age, gender, height....whatever seems relevant to you.

We keep it as serious or light as we feel, but we always keep it focused on being as healthy as possible, while we support each other kindly.  We can do this together!!

Saint Helens, Oregon; 5'2", 72, FitBit Charge 2 (Retired FitBit One 13 April 2017)
Best Answer
926 REPLIES 926

@_Lilac_: YOU CONTINUE TO BE FABULOUS! You are doing such a great job of turning snow into exercise! Keep going, girl!

@Gayle1018: I had the same idea for Lent, initially, but I wouldn't be able to do it. My wife's chemo makes her really sensitive to smells and fish smell is no good for her, so dinners aren't going to fly. My other thought was to do VB46 (staying vegan before 6pm), because then I can concentrate on upping my plant proteins, but not worry about causing problems at dinner time. Mostly for Lent I want to eat mindfully, though. No grabbing things because I'm hungry, but really thinking about whether I want to grab THAT exactly, when I could grab that over there that'll give me better nutrition.

Having my first bout of plantar faciitis in about a decade (used to get it every few years when I was younger) so I'm going to coddle that foot for the next week and have ordered new orthotics for my running shoes (the shoes are new, the orthotics are VERY old). They'll get here on Sunday, so I'll start trying to walk more then, but for now I'm limiting myself to walking my 250 steps an hour and to the gym to do the bike or weights or something—and of course to the car and back to get the kids :). I have rekindled my love for running and I don't want to derail it with a months-long injury.

Best Answer

@_Lilac_: You posted the new snow pictures as I was writing my post. Goodness! That's awesome.

I'm sorry you're annoyed by everything today. Some days are like that. Coddle yourself and try again tomorrow—and turn off the news. That man is enough to put anyone in a bad mood!

Best Answer

@_Lilac_  OH my you do have lots and lots of snow!!!    Agree with @RachelShrinks cuddle yourself and hug the pups!   (maybe see if they can be come sled dogs).. 

Summer is coming! ( i hope_)

Best Answer

My first weekly weigh-in!

USW - 161.6 (12/25/16)

CSW - 153.6 (2/14/17)

CW - 154.8 (2/17/17)

CW -  (2/24/17)

CW -  (3/3/17)

CW -  (3/10/17)

CW -  (3/17/17)

CW -  (3/24/17)

CW -  (3/31/17)

CW -  (4/7/17)

CW -  (4/14/17)

FW -  (4/18/17)

GW - 146.0 (2/18/17)

UGW #1 - 140

UGW #2 - 135

Alrighty so just based off of numbers, this may look like I'm off to a bit of a rough start, but I'm actually okay with this little gain. Tuesday (Valentine's Day) was definitely a big drop day for me and I didn't expect to maintain it. What is frustrating is that I have now been at 154.8 for three days straight. This past week has been pretty stressful so I didn't end up getting to the gym when I wanted to and I fell back into some bad snacking temptations. Starting today I am getting right back on the ball. I am going to be better about watching how much I eat and I will go to the gym today. I am nervous for next week because I have my first three exams of the semester all on Thursday and I am afraid that will keep me in my stressed-out funk.

On a more positive note: I took my second round of process pictures (after 47 days) and am very happy with what I'm staring to see. Maybe I can use that to motivate me out of my funk!

Best Answer

@Gayle1018 I haven't personally tried Apple Cider Vinegar, but my boyfriend and my roommate have. All throughout high school my boyfriend drank one tablespoon every morning and he didn't get sick at all, but when he stopped during college he started catching the cold and things like that. My roommate also drinks some everyday and she says it does wonders for her. Neither of them drank it for the purpose of weight loss, but they were very happy with what it did for them.

My boyfriend would just drink it straight (he says you get used to it), but my roommate has added honey and lemon to it so it tastes better. Hope that helps a bit!

Best Answer

@Gayle1018 My dad used to have indigestion/heartburn/reflux regularly. He started taking a teaspoon of vinegar every day, and it completely went away. He would mix his with a little bit of grape juice. It hid the flavor, but not the smell. Just don't drink the vinegar while having indigestion/reflux; It will burn badly going down. It is used as maintenance and prevention, not like Tums or baking soda.  

Best Answer

Here's my first Friday weigh-in for this challenge.

USW: 224.5 (07/06/16)

CSW: 167.5 (02/14/17)

CW: 165.5 (02/17/17) -2.0

CGW: 155.0 (04/18/17)

UGW: 155.0

I was really happy with the results this week. I was in a slump for a couple of weeks but finally turned the corner. I like weighing on Friday mornings because it helps me stay motivated for the weekend. I did a 3-mile Leslie Sansone workout this morning and then went for a 15 minute walk after work. We're having unusually warm weather for the next week so I hope to get some outside walks in over the weekend. Enjoy your weekend everyone!

Best Answer

Ok, so I started a post a little earlier saying I was lazy today after doing only 8000 steps when my daily goal is 11,000. I'd taken the boys out to walk this morning, did 30 min on the treadmill, two loads of laundry...but otherwise sat on my rear end. Tailbone was hurting I've been sitting so much. (I broke it when I was 10 yrs old if you wanna hear a stupid kid story and it still hurts sometimes). So as I wrote my post I was typing, 'I could take the dogs out again.' And I hit 'cancel' on my post and took the dogs out. I returned home and did Leslie Sansone long enough to get my 11,000 steps so BAM goal reached. I will do better tomorrow about getting steps in actual 'workouts' and sustained calorie burn. Maybe I'll do a bunch of laps alone at the mall or something. It will get me out of the house away from the tv. 

Still have to make up some food consumption tonight. Might have some yoghurt with granola. Yum. 

Have a great night. Get your goals on the weekend! I think it's a long weekend in the US? 

Atlantic coast of Canada, 52 F, Fitbit Inspire HR.
Best Answer

@_Lilac_, in reply to your inquiry about a Long Weekend:

Monday is President's Day.  It IS a Holiday for most Banks, the US Postal Service, most Government Entities, and most Schools, all of whom are closed so their Employees do get a Long Weekend.  Some nonGovernment Entities are also closed for the Holiday.  (This list may not be comprehensive.)

Monday is still a "Holiday" for most nonGovernment Entities but we're working as usual.  Including FedEx and UPS. 

Here's a good article explaining this https://www.thebalance.com/holidays-paid-holidays-and-holiday-pay-2060447

Saint Helens, Oregon; 5'2", 72, FitBit Charge 2 (Retired FitBit One 13 April 2017)
Best Answer

Ok, so to start with - so here's a stupid question... (sorry, I am new!)

How do you insert that '@...name..' tag into your posts to show who you are referring to in a reply message?

On to the rest of my post...had a much better day today.  Was super active and have hit 15,000 steps, which is much better than the struggle I had to get to 10,000 during the week.  Have cleaned the house, tended to the pets, done the washing, been to the supermarket and am now in for the night!  Feeling very happy with today's activity and will weigh in tomorrow for my first time in this challenge. Hoping for a loss, but will try not to be disheartened if I am still at the same weight as last Tuesday.

Hope everyone is doing well!

Best Answer

@_Lilac_ @BLLingg On the topic of the long weekend, I would just like to make a note about schools. To my knowledge, all public schools, K-12 and state universities, have Monday off. However, private universities (and I assume private high schools) have the choice of whether to give the day off. For example, I'm at a private university and we have classes tomorrow (*sigh*), but my brother who is in a public high school has the day off.

Best Answer

@Ava_- it's easiest when you reply to a post.  In this case I hit reply and then the @ on my keyboard.  Your name came up automatically since I was responding to you.  It will also bring a list of other people up, but watch since if you're near the bottom of the browser page it sometimes chops off the list.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

@Ava_  You simply type the @ symbol. A box pops up with names. You pick which you want to use and click it. If the name isn't there, type the first few letters and it should pop up for you. 

Best Answer

I am feeling a bit desperate for motivation so I've come to write a post. It usually forces me to get my butt in gear. Apologies.

My belly hurts! *whine* Mom gave me a recipe the other day for a bran muffin that you can make up and the batter stays good in the fridge for a week so you can make two at a time or however many you want. I forgot that I don't eat bran. Nope, I don't eat it. And there's a reason. IBS. My grandmother lived on bran for decades. I know it's TMI but she had horrible problems with her digestive tract and it wasn't unusual to visit and her blurt out (even in front of friends), "How are your bowels?" and she was deaf so she yelled it!! But my issues are the opposite of hers and I don't digest everything. Seeds, bran, some grains, etc my system just won't break it down. My belly hurts and I feel swollen like I've put on 25lb around my waist! It's preventing me from having much energy too. I took the dogs out this morning and went for a small walk to the store this afternoon but now I need to push myself onto the treadmill. Or do a video. Or something. I'm sure activity will help with the discomfort but it sure doesn't feel like it when I move. I just had some hot tea and it's just sitting there. Ugh. 

I'm refusing to turn on the news. I need distraction. NBA all-star dunk contest, what's on the dvr, what's on netflix...

You know you don't feel good when wondering what's for supper turns your stomach. Okay...off the butt. Check in later.

Best Answer

Hi Everyone! I just wanted to check in for a minute. I did a 1 mile walking video just now and really liked it. We've talked about Leslie Sansone's walking videos, and I've been doing them. They're great. I found the Biggest Loser 1 mile walk- Walk 1 and did that just now. It's a great workout. I had more of a 'burn' in both arms and legs, my heartrate went up pretty good, and I was breathing harder than with Leslie Sansone's 1 mile walk. 

So far this week, I've met my new 12,000+ step goal every day and stayed under calories every day. I've had a few days of high fat foods (cheeseburger and pizza), which I haven't had since Christmas. However, I planned for my days, cut cheeseburger in half and split it between 2 days, only ate 2 slices of cheese pizza, and stayed well below the calorie limit for the days' totals. Even with all the high fat foods, I've lost 3 lbs since Valentine's Day! 🙂 I'm not officially weighing in until Tuesday, so I'll post numbers then.

Hope everyone else is doing well in the new challenge!

Best Answer

Hi all new and continuing folks,

I figured you didn't want me to say new and oldSmiley Wink

Well I had gone up not down since V day darn it. 

CW 149.2

GW 142

UGW 135 or 137

Mostly I want a slimmer belly. It is truly the last place that I lose.

I need to track and enter my food daily since a cheese stick here and a handful or 2 of almonds there add up.

I have my last knee injection of hyaluronic acid 2 days ago.  It is still in an aggravated state and aches but I managed nearly 6600 steps so far and will make 10k after dancing to a great Cajun band. Check out Tom Rigney and Flambeau for exercise music. They are playing locally about 25 minutes from my home tonight. I'll put on my knee brace and comfy dance shoes and 2 step a bit tonight.  

I was able to sync my phone and new scale via blue tooth and found shocking news.

I'm 55.5% water, 30.1% fat and 25% muscle it says. That was after breakfast so I drank 2 1/2 lg glasses of water since I think we are supposed to be about 70% water.

Need to research what is healthy in terms of ratios for my age.  I know for sure that I want that fat % to fall and muscle to increase during this challenge.

@_Lilac_ thanks for the snow pictures since we don't have snow in my town usually.

Congrats to all the hard working folks who are losing the weight and getting healthier.

I think that I have to pledge to myself not to eat after 9 pm and drink water or herb tea instead. 

Now off to log in space to track food since I lose more when tracking.

Warm regards to everyone here,

Barbara G

Best Answer

CSW 184 (this I believe is also my highest)

UGW 160

GW for challenge 170

Female, 24 years old, 5.7"

I'm joining late, I hope that it's ok! This is my first time joining the Fitbit forums, I read that a 'sense of community' is helpful, hoping to find that 🙂

I got my Fitbit Alta about 4 months ago. I was steadily losing weight until I took a trip abroad for a month (lots of pastries for breakfast and late night eating). I also started to use birthcontrol. I gained 15lbs and I think both the eating and birth control played a role - I have never had I had such a huge increase in such a short time (even when I lived much more unhealthy). I now want to get back on track and hope to lose weight by the summer and feel good again.

Best Answer

Been using my fitbit for 5 weeks and im actually losing weight and being healthy! 5 weeks isn't long but its the longest ive ever maintained a healthy weightloss regimen. 

Height: almost 5'2"

USW-130ish

CSW-123.4

GW-110-115

Best Answer

USW - 363 (3/9/16)

Valentine's Day Weight 259

Sunday1 - 257 (02/19) 257.5 Target
  Sunday2 - (02/26) 256.0 Target
  Sunday3 - (03/05) 254.5 Target
  Sunday4 - (03/12) 253.0 Target
  Sunday5 - (03/19) 251.5 Target
  Sunday6 - (03/26) 250.0 Target
  Sunday7 - (04/02) 248.5 Target
  Sunday8 - (04/09) 247.0 Target
Easter Day Goal - 246

-2 lbs

This week was challenging cause my sleeping habits got messed up from my prior cold. Eating meals at midnight, 6am and noon and then trying to go into the afternoon with no calories was absolutely horrible (for me personally). Goal this week is to get sleeping back on track and eat meals around 6am, noon and 6pm instead. Have a good week everyone.

In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.
Best Answer

@A_Lurker and @_Lilac_ - Thanks very much!  Very handy to know.

@_Lilac_ - sorry to hear about the IBS - that can be very uncomfortable.  Hope you are feeling better now.

Well, I said that today was my first weigh in day and I wish it wasn't.  Despite a very full day yesterday and keeping below calories all week (although also having problems getting the steps in), I haven't lost anything this week.

USW - 154 (12/30/16)

CSW - 138 (02/14/17)

CW - 138.4 (02/19)

GW - 130 (04/18)

UGW - 125 (summer?)

Weight was dropping off at at least a pound a week at the start of the year so it is a little disheartening.  However, if I am honest with myself, I am not being as strict as I was with steps, water and 'good' calories....so....

Today is a beautiful sunny day, though.  So I plan to make the most of it and get moving and stop sulking about the numbers on the scale Smiley Wink

Best Answer