Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walking Challenge

ANSWERED

Hi everyone, this summer I am going to be taking part in two challenges. In July I will be climbing Ben Nevis, but before that, in June, I will be taking art in the Yorkshire 100k, a long distance walk which I am hoping to complete in under 24 hours! So my question to you all is how would you advise me to prepare for these challenges?

PS, I'm 55 years old 

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 BEST ANSWERS

Accepted Solutions

@GrannyAli wrote:

Hi everyone, this summer I am going to be taking part in two challenges. In July I will be climbing Ben Nevis, but before that, in June, I will be taking art in the Yorkshire 100k, a long distance walk which I am hoping to complete in under 24 hours! So my question to you all is how would you advise me to prepare for these challenges?

PS, I'm 55 years old 

Excellent advice the other person gave you.   Drink at least a gallon of water a day starting yesteday.   Walk everyday for at least 8-10 miles to get your body accustom to walking long distance.  And once a week test your ability to walk more than 20 miles.   You have your work cut out for you on this one.   

I walked 19.28 miles over the weekend and it took me 5hrs 39 mins.  I'm 37 and in excellent shape.  So for a 100k  at age 55  you want to make sure you have the endurance to handle that many miles.   You can  do it expecially if the weather isn't too warm that day.   Good luck!

View best answer in original post

Best Answer

Hello GrannyAli.

The best thing you can do is to walk on a daily base ( around 8-12 km ) to " harden " you skin, especially on your feet. Your body will get used to the pressure and you can raise up the distance. I walk on a daily base, between 8 and 12 KM carrying a 20 - 40 kg infantry rucksack. Important is, that you carry the same equipment you would carry walking a 100k.

An other extremely important point is to wear proper foot-gear. Some good hiking boots and some less slippy socks should protect you from blisters for at least 40-50 km.

Cheers.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

Well you better start walking long long long distances once a week, to see if your legs and feet can take the pain. Drink a lot of water through out the day so you have energy to keep going. At your age it's going to be hard but you never know how much pain you can put your body through and still keep going for more.

David Major
Best Answer

@GrannyAli wrote:

PS, I'm 55 years old 

Excellent advice the other person gave you.   Drink at least a gallon of water a day starting yesteday.   Walk everyday for at least 8-10 miles to get your body accustom to walking long distance.  And once a week test your ability to walk more than 20 miles.   You have your work cut out for you on this one.   

I walked 19.28 miles over the weekend and it took me 5hrs 39 mins.  I'm 37 and in excellent shape.  So for a 100k  at age 55  you want to make sure you have the endurance to handle that many miles.   You can  do it expecially if the weather isn't too warm that day.   Good luck!

Best Answer

Hello GrannyAli.

The best thing you can do is to walk on a daily base ( around 8-12 km ) to " harden " you skin, especially on your feet. Your body will get used to the pressure and you can raise up the distance. I walk on a daily base, between 8 and 12 KM carrying a 20 - 40 kg infantry rucksack. Important is, that you carry the same equipment you would carry walking a 100k.

An other extremely important point is to wear proper foot-gear. Some good hiking boots and some less slippy socks should protect you from blisters for at least 40-50 km.

Cheers.

Best Answer

Please keep an eye out for my Fitbit One which I lost not far from Ben Nevis summit on Saturday 11 June 2016 Smiley Sad

It would be great if you could let me know the amount of floors climbed when you reach the peak.

Good luck and enjoy yourself Smiley Happy

Best Answer
0 Votes
Okay, will do :-)How long did it take you to get up and down?
Best Answer
0 Votes
Unbelievably, I've been contacted by someone on Facebook who has found it!!
It took us about 9 hours, but we took it slowly coming back down. I found it tough on my knees coming down. Consider taking knee supports, just in case.
I enjoyed it and will do it again one day.
Have fun!
x

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer

That's amazing that you were contacted via Facebook and reunited with your fitbit!

Kirsty, Islington, London Alta, Charge 2 - iPhone, iPad, Mac
Best Answer
0 Votes

I know! The power of social media!!😀

Best Answer
0 Votes