Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walking and plantar fasciitis

I have had amazing success with my FitBit but I have also been walking though a heel spur and plantar fasciitis. It isn't fun but I feel so amazing health wise that I take the good with the bad. I am having custom orthopedics made and I also see a massage therapist 2x a week (which I recommended if you are dealing with this).  My podiatrist recommended me to stop walking for exercise due to how bad it is and take up bike riding. I don't want to do that. I can't do that. I get so depressed without my steps and bike riding just isn't my cup of tea. I am hoping to find others who have been there and get some real advice from real people.

I haven't walked in 2 days and I am going crazy. I literally feel gross. I wish I would have found how amazing walking (and can't lie, Pokemon Go hehe) can make you feel so happy. The weight is falling off and I'm feeling alive. I don't want to give this up.

Thanks for reading!

Best Answer
35 REPLIES 35

I have plantar fasciities in both feet. I could feel how comfortable these sneakers were from the moment I put them on - EVEN BEFORE I STOOD UP!!! I could feel the heel of the shoe cuddling my heel. I can not bear to wear anything but my orthofeet shoes! I like the hammer toe for toe comfort. Fit is great. I like the colors and the mesh.
Have purchased two pair of orthofeet for myself, and they do help tremendously with my PF(plantar Fasciitis). My wife was complaining about her PF, so I suggested getting her a pair of plantar Fasciitis. She didn't want to spend $130 on a pair of orthofeet shoes, but I did it anyway. Now she wears them every day in the garden! Holding up pretty well for the abuse they get too! She won't admit it, but I think she really likes the Quantum's and they do help with the PF.
The plantar fascitis shoes have really given me pain relief from my year long battle with plantar fasciitis. I have are so comfortable and really helps my planter fastidious. Able to walk now even long distances without much pain. Will definitely be buying another pair from orthofeet! I would recommend them to anyone with any kind of foot pain. Wonderful support all the way around.

Best Answer
Not only a good pair of shoes but go through physical therapy.  My dr. Wanted to operate on mine but I took the therapy first. You have to do the exercises at home as well. It took a year for me but it worked. I am so glad I refused the operation.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer

What do they do in therapy?    For plantar fasciitis 

Best Answer
0 Votes
They show you different exercises.  Stretching your calves. They also massage the calves pushing your muscles upward. It sometimes hurts when they apply pressure.Your insurance should pay for it. At least enough times to show you the daily exercises to do. It took a good 6 months to stop hurting for me. I walk every day.Better than going through an operation.  Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer

Does anybody here have a positive experience? How did you treat plantar fasciitis?
I visited the doctor, discussed about this problem. I received standard advices. I could find the same advice on the Internet. Recently I found website about a successful healing experience.
Has anyone read this book about plantar fasciitis cure? I'm wondering what kind of approach is used. Is it worth reading and trying??

Best Answer
0 Votes
I could hardly walk with mine. But physical therapy show me what exercises to do there and at home. It took a good year to heal it. And live through the pain. I still got 10,000 to 20,000 steps in each day.Most people just have an operation.

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I totally recommend the right footwear - Shop Vionic or ECCO.  I have plantar faciitis in both feet and have only shopped and worn those two brands for my footwear and I am now walking pain free.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I keep meaning to reply to this so now I'm typing on my phone. The
condition is chronic, you're prone to it or not. I've had flare ups since I
was a kid but here's what I know that keeps mine manageable.
Easier said than done, but be a healthy weight. When I was 140 lbs heavier
I was nearly crippled.
Get orthotics. If you can't afford the foot mold at least go to a place
that does the foot pressure readings and will give you a set for your feet.
Here's the biggest thing I've learned recently, my plantar fasciitis and my
sciatica are connected. There's a connection from the tip of your toe to
your hip. I have become very regular with yoga and have greatly improved
both conditions taking me from daily pain to occasional awareness now that
I have issues. I still wear my orthotics but I can get away without them
for a lot of things now and I wouldn't have dreamt of that a couple of
years ago.
Hope this helps, good luck!
--

Moderator edit: format 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Oofos sandals all day around the house. Powerstep shoe inserts from a local running store for all my shoes. I run and walk in New Balance 1080’s. I’m not “cured”, but I can walk and run again. 

I learned walking around barefoot was not good for it. The Oofos really lift the arch and take the pressure off the plantar fascia, but are very cushioned as well. 

Same as others, only sleep and shower barefoot. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

This is all great information. I am new to this issue and I'm trying to find what relieves pain so I can walk.  I do Circuit training that is aerobic walking + weights. I love ot and have missed it the past few weeks.  I have found that proper shoes are everything so all your suggestions are leading me well., My poor FitBit is lonely since I have not been walking much. LOL  Thanks

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Nora, did the stem cells work for you? Would love to hear more. Thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes

As an update (just stumbled across this again), I am completely pain free and "cured".  I still wear the Oofos and orthodics, but have found myself more often walking around barefoot and forgetting that I didn't slip my sandals on.  I don't recall exactly when I stopped having issues, but I ran all summer long (not non-stop, but still...) without any pain.

Best Answer

Thank you for posting. I'm not walking right now, trying to burn calories in other ways, water walking, swimming, elliptical, stationery bike; along with lower caloric intake, increased water. Have prescription orthotics, all shoes and sneakers purchased through that office. Stretching only from on-line suggestions. Waiting for podiatrist appt mid-Jan. I just find it hard changing my thought process from maximum steps to calories burned.

Best Answer
Drs. always want to operate. I am so glad I did the physical therapy and walking.Yes it took several monthsbut I haven't had a problem for 2 years.Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
Best Answer
0 Votes

my episode with plantar fascitis lasted about three years of not being able to walk or stand in line for more than a few minutes. The situation was dire, since my heel-bone was literally split, and i had no insurance. 

fortunately, all resolved with weight loss. It took time and patience and perseverence and creatively using my home and the world for gravity-based resistance training. Walking in water was hard but kept the weight off my feet. Orthotics were awful for people at my pay-grade and only made it hurt worse. 

i am not sure what the genetics or other factors may be for anyone else, so i don't presume the same results for everyone, but the ONLY thing that saved me was losing weight. 

but that is amazing for motivation to maintain my trim! After a decade of struggling back, I can now run a painless quarter mile at 6 mph, which for my short frame and advanced age is pretty zippy 😉

hope that helps! The light at the end of the tunnel may NOT be a train. And i remember how badly i needed to know that when all seemed lost.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you! My weight is slowly coming down, and do not expect fast changes. I've also thought if I exercise at night, then go right to bed (off my feet) it might help. Slowly I'll get there.

Best Answer
0 Votes