Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to share a non-scale victory?

So, I've been reading and hearing a lot about people who are having a hard time getting the scale to move, so I thought it was time to start an NSV post. A non-scale victory is something that makes you feel like you're moving in the right direction, even if the scale isn't.

For instance... Yesterday, I climbed 53 flights of stairs! Seriously! I was so proud of myself—I rambled around the music school with my two youngest for the half hour we had before my oldest was done with his piano class, and I noticed when we got home that I had climbed 36 floors already that day (their tap class is on the third floor of one school and their brother's is on the second floor of the one across the street—and I had walked a few times up and down during their tap class as well).  So when I went to work out, I headed for the stairwell instead of the gym and started climbing.

Anyone else want to share an NSV and feel better? Just remember that sometimes, the scale ain't the important thing.

Best Answer
66 REPLIES 66

You guys are giving me so good ideas for my 3pm walk.  😉

Best Answer
0 Votes

Ok.... I looped some rubber bands together and then hooked them from my bra to the button on my pants.  lol

Best Answer

@JennyRebecca LOL!  Nice one!  This was me last week at work when my belt wasn't cutting it anymore...

6128.jpeg

Sunny - 45 - F - Virginia - Charge 2
Best Answer

@TravellingSunny

@JennyRebecca

Brilliant idea with the rubber bands!!

When I was over 360 it was world war 3 trying to get my 44W x 30L pants to stay up. When my pants sagged, the back of the pant leg  would get stepped on by my heel and the pants would start to shred. Cinching the belt tighter didnt work because eventually they would sag in no time. I think I developed almost like a mental tic always reaching down and trying to pull them back up. The belt loops would ALWAYS bust from the repeat tugging motion upwards. The worst was when my hands were occupied (all messy with paint or caulking,etc.) and my pants started to sag in front of people. I had to do like a wide legged waddle step to get to the cleanup sink.

My NSV today was buying a pair of 36W x 30L pants that buttoned up and now don't sag at all.

In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.
Best Answer

@TravellingSunny Oh, my goodness. That is hilarious!Smiley LOL

Best Answer

LMAO!!  Awesome!

#greatproblemtohave

Best Answer

Awesome @almost_where !!!  Rock on!

Best Answer

My little contraption worked.  I didn't have to hold them up on my 3pm walk.  🙂

Best Answer

@almost_where - I'm picturing that waddle and I am laughing so hard I'm crying.  Oh, that was great.  Thank you!

And, your NSV this week is awesome!  What a feel-good moment, eh?

Best Answer

@TravellingSunny:@ Woot thats awesome on the new belt

@JennyRebecca@: I would be buying some new ones soon. You dont want the to fall down 🙂 That's great

@DanielleinDC: Thats to funny. Never thought of a binder clip

@almost_where: Woo Hoo! Congrats

ROFLMAO on the rubber bands OMG Smiley LOL

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

All of these are so awesome! I love hearing NSV because these are the goals in life, not the number on the scale. I don't care what the number is as long as I am healthy, happy and active.

So I was doing a closet clean out of clothes that are too big. I realized that I have gone from a 2xl/3xl shirts and 26 pants down to a L/XL and 16/18 pants. It's taken over a year but I'm pumped. When I was taking spring/summer clothes out of storage from last year, I was only able to keep about 5 shirts! Needless to say, this girl has had to do some serious shopping recently. 

Best Answer

Ladies, it's time to get new pants.  I admit to keeping shirts way too long, but ditch the pants and start getting smaller sizes! 

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

@TT_is_mewoot! That is so great! I'm so proud of you. You Rock!

Community Council Member

Best Answer
0 Votes

Totally  Agree with @A_Lurker Smaller sizes also make you feel better

Community Council Member

Best Answer

While those pictures and stories are hilarious, it would be better to dress for how your body is right now. It will look and make you feel a whole lot better. Clothes that don't fit actually have an impact on your mental health as well. But I would not get too many pants, as you will keep losing weight.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

Goodwill or places like it are great for cheap in between clothes

Community Council Member

Best Answer

@A_Lurker @WendyB @Esya - You ladies rock, you really do!  Such mama birds, working tirelessly to help make our journeys a little less awful.  LOL!  It is so appreciated!  And, I completely agree with you - definitely time for new pants; I'll be hitting up the thrift stores in the next couple of weekends.

Sadly, I hadn't really thought about starting this change until after the New Year (when I went to the doctor and they felt compelled to try and discuss my BMI (those jerks!)  So, my husband bought me a whole bunch of new clothes (that I picked out) for Christmas, and now I feel sorta guilty that I'm already under-growing them.  😞

This is a classic example of poor planning on my part.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TravellingSunny - often you can find a good tailor / seamstress in the area that can take items in.  Most dry cleaners know one, but it's often better to ask people you know (as they are usually doing it out of their homes and it's cheaper).  I technically have the skill to take in most of my clothing, but to be fair I don't usually take the time to do it.  I look at it this way, someone on the same journey may have access to some good, natural fiber material.  I tend to avoid man made fabrics, so that sometimes limits my own choices.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

I keep thinking I should take some of my pants to the dry cleaner/tailor to have them taken in.

Best Answer
0 Votes

A sort-of clothing related NSV (or covering related, anyway).

So, normally I use a big bath sheet towel to cover myself after a shower, because if I use a regular towel, my Bulging Belly of Bulge(tm) peeks out and I'm a bit of a prude :). Well today, no one was home while I was showering and my bath sheet was in the wash and I just grabbed a regular towel, figuring that the BBB could just bulge—who'd see it but the cat, right?

Except it DIDN'T! I have now successfully shrunken the BBB to the point where a normal towel covers it! 

I kind of want to go buy new towels to celebrate. LOL!

Best Answer