Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to share a non-scale victory?

So, I've been reading and hearing a lot about people who are having a hard time getting the scale to move, so I thought it was time to start an NSV post. A non-scale victory is something that makes you feel like you're moving in the right direction, even if the scale isn't.

For instance... Yesterday, I climbed 53 flights of stairs! Seriously! I was so proud of myself—I rambled around the music school with my two youngest for the half hour we had before my oldest was done with his piano class, and I noticed when we got home that I had climbed 36 floors already that day (their tap class is on the third floor of one school and their brother's is on the second floor of the one across the street—and I had walked a few times up and down during their tap class as well).  So when I went to work out, I headed for the stairwell instead of the gym and started climbing.

Anyone else want to share an NSV and feel better? Just remember that sometimes, the scale ain't the important thing.

Best Answer
66 REPLIES 66

Awesome @RachelShrinks !  Love your username!!  🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Esya wrote:

I somehow found my "on" button for walking this week and been over 10K for 6 days in a row now! That is a huge record for me.

Still going strong with this streak. That "on" switch stayed on. Judging by my badges that is 15 days now and 16 if you were to include today. I expect it will end this Saturday due to a family visit and I don't want to worry about my steps then. Might even take my tracker off while I am away for it. But I am pretty sure that I will simply pick up again after that.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

@RachelShrinks I just love the "Bulging Belly of Bulge". One book with an overweight protagonist called it her "Area". 

I also have a cat, and given her gut, she has no right to judge me for mine!

Best Answer

@RachelShrinksthat's awesome about the towel!

@Esya  Great going on the streak!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

Great news this week. 

XL belt (39 - 41") has gone in the bin. 

L belt (36 - 38") has gone on my trousers. 

I am no longer a bat fastard!

Ultimate Goal: Mens sana in corpore sano
Best Answer

@Dave001 BAHAHAHAHAH!  That's awesome!

Sunny - 45 - F - Virginia - Charge 2
Best Answer
0 Votes

@RachelShrinks - FANTASTIC!!!!! Might be time to share that little tidbit with your wife.  😉  Bet she'll love it, too!!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I earned the Waterfall Badge for climbing 300 floors in a day.  Accomplished this in my own home using a single flight of stairs over the course of about 6 hours.

My calves are still singing to me this morning.  🙂

Best Answer

@TravellingSunny

That is awesome! I have considered doing that for a badge (not the 300 one), but so far did not find the mental power. But you might have sparked some motivation in me by doing those 300 yourself, maybe I can get the 50 floors badge 😄 .

Best Answer

@Esya wrote:

@Esya wrote:

I somehow found my "on" button for walking this week and been over 10K for 6 days in a row now! That is a huge record for me.

Still going strong with this streak. That "on" switch stayed on. Judging by my badges that is 15 days now and 16 if you were to include today. I expect it will end this Saturday due to a family visit and I don't want to worry about my steps then. Might even take my tracker off while I am away for it. But I am pretty sure that I will simply pick up again after that.

I did it! I managed to keep the streak going despite the family visit. I made sure to get my steps in before I left to visit them. So I had no worries when taking my tracker off for the rest of the day.

Best Answer

@Esya  Very nice consistency streak!

@TravellingSunny   I am floored by your stairs achievement 🙂

In order for the light to shine so brightly, the darkness must be present.
Best Answer

Two things!

I was really unfit because I stopped exercising for over 5 years. After doing some cardio exercises for the past month, I noticed that my endurance has increased. Yay!

Second, I do resistance training and after 3 weeks I noticed my bicep muscles getting larger and I feel stronger. 🙂

Twenty something nursing student ❤ | Charge 2 | iPhone | Windows 8.1
Best Answer

That is awesome @lmlt Woot!

Community Council Member

Best Answer

@WendyB Wow I didn't know I could tag someone in my posts haha. Thank you! It's so exciting. These days I am too tired though so I sleep so much and when I wake I go to work. Hopefully I can hit the gym tomorrow and keep going steady. I'll post my victories by the end of this month 😄

Twenty something nursing student ❤ | Charge 2 | iPhone | Windows 8.1
Best Answer

I started on the Couch to 5K program over the weekend. I'm 2 days into it, and very happy. I'm way out of shape, but this program resonates with me, and I'm going to stick to it. Even bought a pair of running shorts (only to see the temps plummet to the mid-20s(F).)

Walked a 5K on Saturday, with my wife. We just wanted to see what these things were all about. We had a great time.

Finally, began yoga 2 nights ago. My wife, being much smarter than I, has been doing yoga for many years. I'm a bit of a dim bulb, but better late than never. Smiley Tongue

Overall, I'm feeling so much better. Love the "running" and love the yoga.

BTW, Yoga with Adriene, on YouTube is awesome. HT to @YoungPadawan13 for writing about her.

Best Answer

That's Awesome @SunsetRunner C25K is a great program to get you running!

Community Council Member

Best Answer
0 Votes

Today's NSV:

Total Cholesterol 4.09mmol/L

(which for you foreign types is about 158mg/dL)

That's right! My cholesterol is in the right range without medication. Diet, exercise and weight loss has brought it down to an acceptable level. 

My HDL is still a little low, but things are moving in the right direction.

I'm very happy with progress!

Ultimate Goal: Mens sana in corpore sano
Best Answer

@Dave001: That is one heck of an NSV!! Cholesterol can be such a sore spot, and I'm not convinced statins and such are all they're cracked up to be. Congratulations on controlling it all by yourself!

Keep up the awesome!

Best Answer

My NSV for yesterday: I got my trail shoe badge for 30,000 steps in a day! It was wrecking, and I'm still a little sore today, but I DID IT! Yay, me!

Best Answer

First the bad: I've had a cold, so I haven't been meeting my step goal much lately because I haven't felt up for doing my walking videos.

Now the good: I was visiting my mom and stepdad in Tampa for the weekend, and my sister and her husband came down from Orlando for the day. After lunch, we stopped at a Radio Shack to pick up a cable to set up their TV (and I needed a USB wall adapter). There's a Beall's Outlet (Beall's is a Florida discount department store) in the same shopping center. I did a little clothes shopping and found a cute pair of pants in a size 12P. Now, for years I've been wearing size 16 jeans, size 14 if they're cut generously. But those size 12 pants fit me perfectly--except for the length. I'm going to have to have them hemmed. I also bought a size M skirt when for years I was wearing L and XL.

Best Answer