Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to share a non-scale victory?

So, I've been reading and hearing a lot about people who are having a hard time getting the scale to move, so I thought it was time to start an NSV post. A non-scale victory is something that makes you feel like you're moving in the right direction, even if the scale isn't.

For instance... Yesterday, I climbed 53 flights of stairs! Seriously! I was so proud of myself—I rambled around the music school with my two youngest for the half hour we had before my oldest was done with his piano class, and I noticed when we got home that I had climbed 36 floors already that day (their tap class is on the third floor of one school and their brother's is on the second floor of the one across the street—and I had walked a few times up and down during their tap class as well).  So when I went to work out, I headed for the stairwell instead of the gym and started climbing.

Anyone else want to share an NSV and feel better? Just remember that sometimes, the scale ain't the important thing.

Best Answer
66 REPLIES 66

@DanielleinDC

That is really amazing. So glad you got new clothes that fit 😄 .

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dave001congrats on the new size belt! And the cholesterol!

@TravellingSunnyWoot on the new badge

@RachelShrinksWTG on the 30K badge!

@DanielleinDCWTG on the new clothes! Always feels get when you get in a new size!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
0 Votes

Summer is coming!

I went for my first walk in shorts today. 

Not the big 42" waist shorts that were getting tight last year!

Oh no. These were the wonderfully fitting 38" waist shorts that I bought this week. 

I'm still a big chap, but I'm not as big as I was.

What an amazing feeling!

Ultimate Goal: Mens sana in corpore sano
Best Answer

@Dave001Woo hoo! Thats awesome!

Community Council Member

Best Answer
0 Votes

So it's getting cooler in New Zealand and I need to start moving from skirts and dresses to jeans for the first time in months. Yesterday night I went to pull out my jeans and found that I've gone from having tight fitted jeans and using the last notch on my belt (and seriously considering adding just one more notch- or not using a belt at all) to looking like a scarecrow with oversized pants held up by a belt on the third notch! That's a whole two notch sizes and I'm pretty happy with that. 

I only put the jeans away in mid December so I'm pretty impressed I've lost so much off my waist, hips and butt in that time. I also gave up the scale about that time (I gave mine to my sister and have been avoiding them since then because I was getting so disheartened when it wouldn't move much) so I wasn't sure if anything was moving much but trying not to think about it and celebrate the fitness goals I was meeting instead.

In excitement I also tried on the black work pants I need to wear to a formal function next week only to find that there's no way I can wear them to work because they just don't sit right now that I've lost weight and have leg muscles that are defined. I shall have to race out and buy pants this weekend!

Best Answer

@SarahStepsThat's so awesome! Congrats!

Community Council Member

Best Answer
0 Votes

I totally agree! When I weighed 467 lbs I was miserable. I was prediabetic, had high blood pressure, sleep apnea, my cholesterol was out of control and I had a fatty liver. Losing the weight wasn't about getting amazing results on the scale, it was about taking control of my life and stopping my full steam ahead push to an early grave. It's a horribly overutilized catch phrase, but you really do need to know your 'why' before you make that first step of your weight loss journey. Obsessing over the scale, during weight loss, is a fools game.

Best Answer
0 Votes