Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water Weight Affect on InBody Scan

I am at a weird spot in my weight loss/muscle building journey. I have done everything from intermittent fasting, complete fasting, counting macros, etc. I have a stomach issue that I'm working on with my drs and waiting for some hormone blood work to come back. That being said I pretty much know what I should be doing to see results. The weird thing is that I'm not. I use to take measurements every month until July. I didnt take measurements again until October 3rd. I "thought" I had lost 6 inches. I always do them twice to check accuracy. People commenting on how good I was looking is what prompted me to do them again. After seeing the 6in loss I did an Inbody. I compared it to the last one I did in July and everything was the same except I had lost 2lbs of water weight. No muscle increase or bf% decrease. I use my home scale as a daily checkin when I'm tracking the effects of what I eat due to the stomach issue or counting diff macros. (I tend to eat the same thing so no need to track 100% of the time.) My home scale usually says about 175lbs when I'm not bloated and I was a little bloated the day I did the InBody. I should've waited to do it but I didn't. Anyway, I've been in my head about this since doing the InBody and wondering why I had weight loss on my home scale and thought I had lost inches but the InBody showed nothing but water weight change. I keep wondering if I measured wrong somehow but that doesn't explain the weight lost on my home scale. I dont cross reference the scales. I compare home to home and InBody to InBody and it just doesn't make sense to me. Would the bloat I had affect all the results? I plan to do another one in 6 weeks but still it's driving me crazy. I do CrossFit 5x a week. The stress from not seeing any changes plus homeschooling has gotten me to not really caring about what I eat the past week. I think I'm going to take some time off of focusing on my diet and try to reset but I'd really like an answer to the lost 6 inches other than I just messed up. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Lost 6 inches where?

Among like 10 measurements sites?

Or like 1 measurement of say hips or stomach?

Kind of matters.

And InBody is still a BIA type measurer - it's measuring electrical impedance that's all.

From that are calculations for water, fat, and not fat.

From that are other statistical calculations for muscle, ect.

So you present a bloated body to it with known water weight gain - I'd suggest forget the figures, not really possible to make sense of them.

I didn't catch weight change except 2 lbs lost since last InBody test, and it thought it was water weight.

CrossFit 5x weekly is pretty stressful and I could see water weight retained from that for sure.

Did you workout the day prior to test?

That would make it invalid too since that effects base water levels due to repair from workout.

I'd suggest besides the potential measurement error depending on how many sites you are talking about, you got other figures with likely errors.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes

It was a total of 6 inches from multiple sites, the two biggest changes were waist 1.5in and hips 2in. The rest were from my thighs and neck. I spoke with my physical therapist and he said he could tell a difference in the way I look and that it's an error from InBody because of hydration/dehydration. 

Thanks for your reply. 

Best Answer
0 Votes