Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Water retention overnight?

Does anyone else struggle with GAINING weight while sleeping?  I've struggled with edema in my legs for YEARS.  Shame on me, but I weigh myself before bed, and when I wake.  Some mornings I'm 2lbs heavier than I was 8-10 hours prior.  I'm going to attempt to get back in the low/no sodium routine again, but last time I did, it didn't help.  My doctor always gives me an Rx for my edema... but I don't want an Rx .... I want to pinpoint the problem and fix it.  Even with the Rx, I still don't feel comfortable wearing shorts.  Haven't used a pair of shorts for years.... and I'd kind of like to, but not with swollen nasty legs.  Some morning I'll wake up and take a photo of my legs because they're almost skinny or "normal"... about 30-60 minutes out of bed.... --not so much.  I wear compression socks while at work as I'm on my feet up to 12 hours a day (summertime=busytime, winter about 6 hours)  LONG STORY SHORT-- Does anyone know what can take care of my constant edema struggle? Thanks  ~A~

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Sometimes it really is just body chemistry, though I completely understand not wanting to be on medication. You need some sodium in your blood so don't cut it out altogether because not enough sodium in the blood can kill you and no one wants that. Smiley Happy My mom has edema that can't be explained and she takes a prescription diuretic; she has been tested for anything and everything that has edema as a symptom, taken off of medications that cause edema (she is Biploar Type 1), follows a low sodium diet, drinks plenty of water, and the edema did actually lessen in severity but it didn't go away completely and she does still need the medication. 

Have you asked to see a nutritionist that has experience with conditions such as yours? Maybe they can help you find a diet that balances your body's nutritional needs with what your body is doing.

Have you been tested for any health conditions that can cause edema?  Or are you on other medications that have that as a side effect? Work with your doctor to get off of those medications and on to something else that doesn't have that side effect. 

Now for my disclaimer: I'm not a licensed healthcare professional. Do consult with one before you make any changes to your diet or medications to keep yourself safe and healthy. These are just things I've learned as my mom has been through a similar thing. 

~ArmordBallerina (Katie)

I swear by my life and my love of it I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another to live for mine.- From Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
Best Answer
0 Votes

I haven't met with a nutrionist yet, but that's something I will have to do.  Looking back on it... the edema began shortly after starting BCP's.  As far as the sodium intake goes.... I know I can't completely cut it out of my diet as I have Neurally Mediated Syncope sort of requires the intake of sodium to help keep me from conking out. The diuretic, however, was amazing the first time I had used it---  literally lost 10lbs of water weight.  All I can think is..... how much would I REALLY weigh.... without all the retention

Best Answer
0 Votes