Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Week Deficit?

Hello, I am pretty new to this forum.

Here are some little facts about me, I am currently on the Ketogenic Diet and I have done it over a month and a half. I am currently on my weight loss journey and I hope to drop 34lbs from the weight I logged in, 185lbs. I need to weigh myself soon because I think I might be a little less than that now. I assume I am 185...Maybe under... because I fit in some clothes I haven't been able to fit into since High School, I was average build during the time. I am 23 and I am in college now. 

I use to weigh 215lbs 5 months ago and I changed up my lifestyle significantly and became more active.

Okay, now for my question. What are weekly Deficits? I log my meals and so far I have been eating about 332 calories on the days I don't exercise (I don't really have an appetite anymore) and about 900 when I workout (1 hour of Cardio) 5 days a week.  My daily carb intake is under 20 grams.

I checked my dashboard and it says I have a -5,879 weekly deficit so far. Should that be concerning?? I know there are 3500 calories in a pound of fat.

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

Oh, another thing I must add. 

It's been a bit hard to eat much while on Keto in my college. My school's has very little keto options. Most entries filled will hella amount of carbs and sugars would kick me out of ketosis, even when portioned. I usually eat breakfast because it's the only time I could get my fill in eggs, breakfast sausages and bacon before my exercise. I also drink my coffee with half n half with some coconut oil and stevia.

I am very strict on my diet.

Sometimes I go grocery shopping to stock my mini fridge with Atkins shakes, cheese and some pepperonis. In my area, there are no Trader Joes :c... There might be some alternatives store I need to venture.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I read more on about it... yes its very concerning if I am eating around 300 calories. I may need to fix something with my daily consumption on my rest days. I'll try to work the college foods more or I need to get a crockpot and cook in my dorm.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Your cumulative deficit over weeks/months is what is going to determine your weight loss. You don’t need to have the same deficit everyday. Your weekly deficit of 5879 calories is just that, a cumulative deficit of 5879 calories, equivalent to 7 days of a daily deficit of  840 calories. Even though in reality you probably had a higher deficit on some days, and a lower one on other days.

Likewise what you are eating (e.g. breakdown of macronutrients) won’t have any major impact on weight loss, even though some will say calories in vs. calories out has no validity whatsoever.

Based on your posts, it looks like you’re weighing yourself very irregularly, since you only appear to have a vague idea of your current weight. Again, some will say, screw the scale, it’s totally useless. However, if used wisely, it’s a good way to validate if what you are doing is working or not. I fail to see the point in minutiously tracking your activity and your intake every single day, but only checking results once a month with the scale, or by looking how your clothes fit.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

@AoiSpationaut, I think @Dominique nailed it. In order to lose weight, it has to be a focused activity that you dedicate time to. You should figure out what your TDEE is and determine a deficit you are comfortable with. Then plan your meals to that number. It doesn't have to be exact every day, but over the week, you should be where your planned deficit says you ought to be. Even on Keto. @Daves_Not_Here maybe could offer some insights into Keto and how to meal plan... 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hey @AoiSpationaut - following up on @emili 's suggestion on Keto meal planning -- I don't have any specific meal strategies except to make sure to have the appropriate food on hand.

The reason why Keto folks tend to fall off the wagon and resort to eating "carbage" is they get hungry and the only snacks available are high-carb (crackers, cookies, bread, etc).  Here are some of my go-to snacks that are easy to store in a dorm room:

• Macadamia nuts
  • Almond butter
  • Celery sticks (dip in almond butter)
  • String cheese

Better yet, see this great resource for Keto snacks

Best Answer
0 Votes