Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight Loss Goal 50 to 100 Pounds

Hi! 

I'm trying to lose 75 pounds, hopefully at a rate of 1.5 pounds per week. I started on my journey a week and a half ago and I'm currently down 3.6 pounds.  I'm looking forward to a healthier lifestyle and if you want friends for extra motivation feel free to add me.  🙂

Best Answer
428 REPLIES 428

Hi Lisa!  I'm also trying to lose weight.  I have 50 pounds to lose till my goal weight.  The last time I seen that weight was when I returned home from my deployment... so roughly 9 years ago.  I've struggled with my weight my entire life.  My husband bought me a fitbit Charge HR to help me with my goals.  It was truly an amazing gift because I love it.  Wishing you success as you continue on to reach your goal. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

**WARNING.. may be long winded**  Woman Happy

Wow this thread is going crazy.. crazy good.  So many of us all with similar goals and similar challenges I'm sure.

I thought I'd throw some questions out there to see if anything inspires.

What is everyone's favourite (yes, you can see I'm Canadian) breakfast to make during the weekday?

Do you track your food? What app are you using? Do you find it helps?

What kind of contact or chatting do you think would inspire you to keep going and reach your goal? Daily, Weekly?

What about challenges?  Is anyone interested in participating in challenges of any kind?

I'm just super nosy Woman Tongueand want to know everything about everyone - don't mind me.  Seriously though, I'll answer so you know I'm sincere. 

- My favourite go to breakfast is one of two.  Poached egg on Toast, or Grapes and Cottage Cheese.

- I'm "trying" to track my food on my Weight Watchers app, but also the My Fitness Pal app and Fitbit.  I haven't figured out what is connecting to what and whats updating to what.  So confusing.

- I'd love to have daily interaction because that way each day I can take the time to remember that this is important to me.  This is something I need to do for myself so that I can live a life I enjoy, and not just watch others do so.  I hate being tired and slow and feeling uncomfortable and constantly judged.  I need to take control and get my life in gear.  No longer just a passenger to my cravings, moods, whims, excuses, reasons, etc.  But in the driver seat understanding that everything I do is a choice and has either a good consequence or a not so good consequence.  Time to stack the deck in the other order people!!!

- I like challenges, big, small, easy, hard - I just liket to do it with others.  I need the feedback, then cheerleading squad and I really want to do that for others too. 

This is such a big deal.  How many of us have been on this roller coaster for as long as they can remember.  Starting something with enthusiasm, determination, goals, gusto blah blah blah only to have it either peeter out, or have a situation change everything (like my rocky road bar) - you think I'd never want to look at one again, but they call to me every time I see one.

Wouldn't it be nice to every single day feel good about our decisions that we made.  To get up in the morning and just take each choice as it comes, and feel confident in ourselves.  I know I'd like that.

I'd like to actually achieve my goals on this journey.

What is one thing you can do today that would be a better choice than what you did yesterday?

For me, it was going to my weight watchers meeting instead of out for lunch with a co-workers when they asked.  That's not a weight watchers thing - that's just the path that I have chosen.  That's what I need to do.  What you need to do will be what works for you - so please don't mistake this as an add for WW.

I have no hidden agenda.  I just want to give positive constructive feedback and receive the same. 

Any maybe a few good laughs along the way.

If you want to join me in a challenge, please send me a friend request  - that way we can see each others steps etc.

Hayley

My path isn't always straight or clear, but at least I'm on the way somewhere.
SW 263 CW 248.6 GW 160
Best Answer

I too have 75 pounds to lose, my problem seems to be not eating healthy, looking foward to giving and recieving support from those going thru the same thing. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
Lately I go for a smoothie for breakfast, but my "go-to" was always 1 panfried egg with a little hot sauce and 1/2 avocado on toast.

When I started out a few months back, I tracked my food really well on MyFitnessPal, but This time around it hasn't been easy. I try to, but I've had a lot of slip ups and I don't record the rest of the day (bad I know).

I think having weight loss/ fitness buddies is always a positive thing, and would be nice to have. I'm a part of the Labor Day Challenge as of right now, and I plan to start a cleansing challenge for myself tomorrow. Its one that you won't feel hungry , because you're eating a LOT of raw veggies and fruits (depending on the day) and then you start adding protein, for a week. If anyone is interested in it let me know.
Best Answer

Here's my own long-winded answer LOL

Great post, Hayley!!  And I completely agree - so many people writing and sharing, discovering that we pretty much all can relate to each other in our struggles and successes. 

I'll try and answer your questions - here goes! ...

FAVOURITE BREAKFAST:  (I'm Canadian too!!!)  Weight Watchers (no I'm not a member) breakfast sandwiches.  For years I used to buy Timmies breakfast sandwich and hashbrown every day. I really like 'hot' for breakfast but am not really into oatmeal etc and mornings are usually a rush for me...so I traded Tim's for WW sandwiches.  I know someday these will also have to disappear but not right now LOL  Many days I even trade my steeped tea for green.

TRACKING:  The way I plan my daily food is by following the Canada Food Guide.  So, because I love lists, I've created myself a table on MS Word that has boxes for all the minimum requirements (fruits, vegs, grains etc)  In each box the night prior, I write what that item will be (for example, one grain serving equals 1/2 cup of couscous).  I have a rule that I can eat anything I wish (even that rocky road bar) but I must make sure I get my Food Guide items in.  I find that I'm naturally leaving out most of the bad because I am either too full, or need to fit in, the items in my list.  And, most recently, I've started cutting out sugars.  Once upon a time I'd go through a 2litre bottle of Coke each evening!

CONTACT OR CHATTING:  I'm unsure on this one.  I tend to be online a lot for a while and then disappear for a while.  I'm also one of those die-hard Blackberry users so I'm unsure if phone-to-phone chatting would work for me.  I know I get challenge invites from people but they have yet to create an app for BB users to join.

CHALLENGES:  I have a committment issue with challenges LOL  I love the thought of joining them but then the thought of not doing it perfectly sets in and I don't join, and...well I'm sure there are many here reading this that know perfectly what I'm talking about.  That being said, if anyone here has an idea for challenges I'm ready to commit to commit LOL

You and I already have each other on our friends list...I can't participate in app challenges but perhaps we can start one in a discusion within this group?

Vanessa

Best Answer

Good evening all!  My first time here...I've been reading a lot and figured,....hey, go for it.  I've been trying to lose at least 50 lbs for a while now - - I'm good for a few days, then BAM, something happens and I cheat...sometimes pretty bad 😞   I love my fitbit and I bought a gazelle (my treadmill doesn't like me - it causes my saccroiliac to act up -  I used to run, and didn't know when to stop - -bad, I know)  Anyway, I want to try again so very badly!!!!  Sometimes, I get down on myself and say, 'you're 62, you're not going to get down there again; - so, I give up [again].  Let's see if this site helps . . .. thanks for letting me 'vent' 🙂

Best Answer

Leinaala82: Welcome!  I completely understand.  It seems my weight has been a non-stop battle.  This is honestly the first time I feel really good about what I'm doing and I think the difference is the support I'm getting from others like yourself.  I wish you great success as well!!! 🙂

Jada: You have come to the right place if you are looking for support! I highly recommend adding friends on here and interacting with everyone!  I have found everyone to be extremely supportive and helpful!  Together we can do this!!! 🙂

Luvkoalas5373: Personally I find that when I have a bad day I work hard to wake up the next day and let it go.  It allows me to have a fresh start and keeps me going.  I have 75 pounds to lose and I have just recently started on this journey.  According to Fitbit I'm 7% to my goal LOL.  It's never to late to stop trying.  It's actually a great sign that you won't stop, it means that you refuse to give up on yourself!  My advice, add friends on here.  It is so nice to have people that you can interact with daily that understand your ups and downs.  Feel free to vent anytime you need!!! 🙂

Best Answer

LOL Haley love the "warning" hahaha... ok here goes my response:

Breakfast: Personally I have always struggled eating in the morning but I know it's important to kick start my day.  First thing in the am I down a Chocolate Special K Protein Shake since it's not terrible and easy to down fast. Then, every Sunday I pre-pack fruit in about 6-8 oz portions depending on the fruit.  After I've been awake for about an hour I will have the fruit.  I also have one Dunkin' coffee, cream, no sugar. 

Tracking: I track 100% of what I consume through LoseIt! before I eat/drink it.  That way I know I haven't forgotten anything.  It syncs up with Fitbit so I get the data on here as well with only having to track it in one place.  Personally I find it extremely helpful and it holds me accountable.

Contact: I try to stay in constant contact on here and on LoseIt!  Everyone I have "friended" has been so kind and supportive.  I share with my friends when I'm having a good day and they encourage me, and I share when I have had a not-so-good day and they lift my spirits back up.  I find it comforting to interact with people that understand what I'm struggling with.  It keeps me focused to continually check in as well, which is definitely an added bonus!

Challenges: I have not turned down a challenge yet.  I know some people find them discouraging, I find that I push myself harder.  I have won a few and lost a few, overall I think they are fun and motivating!

I couldn't agree more.  My weight has been a struggle for so long.  I wasted too many years thinking "I'll start tomorrow" or "Maybe after... The Holiday's, My Vacation, This Stressful Time At Work, Etc..." Really any excuse to put it off.  Then I realized I have put it off for over a decade. 

As for what I could do better, currently I'm trying to get more sleep.  I have always had a habit of staying up too late and not getting enough sleep.  Today is no different.  Tomorrow I will try to go to bed an hour sooner than I did today and that will be my goal!  I know being well rested is extremely important in weight loss.  🙂

Best Answer

@paperclip wrote:

I can't participate in app challenges but perhaps we can start one in a discusion within this group?

Vanessa

I would join a challenge here in group... any ideas?  (I'm seriously type A... I think the only creative bone in my body is my cooking and that's what landed me here LOL)

Best Answer
0 Votes

What is everyone's favourite (yes, you can see I'm Canadian) breakfast to make during the weekday? I am Canadian too.  I eat Eggs with a small handful of cheese on toast, I should cut back from 3 eggs to 2, but the eggs are so good, and fresh off my farm, so it's hard to want to. 

Do you track your food? What app are you using? Do you find it helps? I've used MyFitnessPal the most to track my food, but stopped a few months back, when my phone started acting up, it's really hard to log anything manually on there, as only 1/2 the screen works. 

What kind of contact or chatting do you think would inspire you to keep going and reach your goal? I'm not sure what would be good for me, I've never been great about keeping up with groups, though I should

What about challenges? Is anyone interested in participating in challenges of any kind? I would be interested in participating in challenges

My current challenge to myself is to increase my step count, I used to use pacer, before I got my fitbit and increased my average step count from 4-5000 steps, I was off that for a few months (busted phone) and just got my fitbit, my average steps last week was 6,900. so my goal is to reach 7,000 steps a day, once  I can do that consistantly for a week, I will up my goal to 8,000 steps a day. Today  I went for a walk with my mom, and I am just shy of 10,000, tempting to go around the yard a few times to bump it up, but I'm afraid I won't sleep as well, as this should be my down time. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm kind of bummed out. When I first got my fitbit about 1 1/2 months ago I was all excited. Did really well for a few weeks, but now I'm often not even making my goal of 5,750 steps. I have lost 4Lbs (75 to go) but am afraid I'm about to gain again. I need to at least walk a little each day again!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Same here I am also Italian/Sicilian and love my pasta with meatballs!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I started loosing weight but I fall off track very easyly during holidays and get togethers and put on all the weight that I lose. Need to lose 50lb and keep maintaining it.

Best Answer
0 Votes

What is everyone's favourite (yes, you can see I'm Canadian) breakfast to make during the weekday?

I'm a university student currently enjoying the summer holidays, so ever day is a weekend for me! My current favourite, though, is overnight oats made with thick yogurt and fresh berries!

Do you track your food? What app are you using? Do you find it helps?

I do track my food! I use a mixture of MFP and Fitbit, normally leaning towards the former due to its free nutrient breakdown reports. I have to be careful, though, because food tracking gave me an eating disorder, as I became obsessed with tracking my food. I'm as recovered as I'll ever be now, but I still have to check in with myself to make sure I'm not going bad again.

What kind of contact or chatting do you think would inspire you to keep going and reach your goal? Daily, Weekly?

Daily is my kind of thing! I love talking about workouts and daily consumption and all of that kind of thing, and find it really handy to have people to check in with.

What about challenges?  Is anyone interested in participating in challenges of any kind?

I love doing challenges with people on here! Sign me up, 100%!

Also, did you end up going to your WW meeting?

Charge HR / Aria / Vegetarian
Best Answer
0 Votes

I prefer any breakfast with egg  or a cereal bar with some coffee

I track activities and food in MFP

Daily is my kind of thing too to keep on track.

I love chanllenges esp walk or calories or yoga(sun salutations)

Best Answer
Lisa: Thanks. I must say the first week was much easier. I seem to be losing maybe a pound and then gaining a half pound back. I guess the word is baby steps!
Best Answer
0 Votes

@keekee66

I'm glad you posted what you did because I'm sure every single one of us feels the same way you some of the times.  Sometimes it's so hard to keep going and it's just way more comfortable to drop down on to the sofa, pick up the remote control and devour a rocky road bar.. or a big bowl of pasta..and garlic bread..etc.

Don't shrug off 4lbs.  It takes effort to lose even 1 pound.  It shows that you are capable of making positive changes.  Why don't you try setting different goals for the next week.  Don't worry about the number of steps you take, but instead pick something small (This is what I do to get back on track) Set a goal of drinking a glass of water first thing after you wake up each day for a week.  That's it.  Once you have reached that goal, add on a new layer.  Water and a few stretches each morning.  Then another one..and so on.

One thing that is important FOR ALL OF US READING THIS is that this is not something that we can rush through.  We have all come here, to this board for a reason.  We are all at a point in our life - whether that is at 20 years old, or 75 years young, that we recognize that something has to change.  So if you really want to change your life you have to do it slowly so it will stick. No fad diets, no unrealistic expectations on yourself where you are continuing the cycle of setting yourself up to fail.  No, it must stop here and now, today, not tomorrow (whoa my soap box is high today).  You owe it to yourself to give yourself the support that you would give a friend.  Be your own best friend. Take each decision you make one at a time.  Give yourself permission to slip up and get back up.  We are human and some of us have decades of mistreating our bodies and minds to make up for. That can't change over night. 

We can do this - but we have to believe we can.  Even if that is your goal for today.  Believe that you have the ability to make a good choice today that will ultimately bring you closer to your goal.

Today I did not get a muffin for breakfast.  Today I had cottage cheese and grapes.  That one thing today was a good choice.  I'll worry about the next choice when I'm faced with it.  (Those of you who plan everything - give yourself credit for making it that much easier for you to make a smart choice)

Maybe I should change my user name from Hayleycan "as in Hayley can do it" to SoapboxHayley!!!

I write because I care.  I honestly do.  I want to change and I need your support.  I want to support those who want to change.

Together, we can see results.

SW 263 CW 248.6 GW 160
Best Answer

Wow... I've been MIA for a while now, and so much awesome and inspiring dialogue!! 

I've had a few rough days... July is always a difficult month as it's my only brother's birth month and also the month he died almost 4 years ago. Yesterday was his birthday and it's a day I really dread. To be honest, I dread having to comfort my parents because it's so difficult to find any consoling words to say; nothing can bring him back or heal their pain. Couple all of the family emotions with first time mom syndrome (it's so exhausting when baby is fussy and inconsolable!) it's been a rough week.

I feel better today. When I feel lousy emotionally I just shut down and shut in, something that's really a-typical for me as I'm a social butterfly who loves outings! I also binge eat and watch way too much TV. I know in hindsight if I just got up, got moving I would feel much better. But it's soo dang hard to do that when you're in the throes of an emotional mess.

With that being said, I recognize this is as a mere setback, and I'm ready to push forward. Thanks for all of the support and encouragement you all posts here. It's amazing what a strong supportive community can do for us!!!

Best wishes for fitness this week to you all!

-Adrian

Best Answer
@ Adrian
I'm sorry for you loss 😞. I can't imagine how rough the week has been, but times like that, I think it's okay to give yourself some le-way (sp). Sending lots of positive thoughts your way.
Best Answer
0 Votes
@adrian,
I agree at times like this you need to give yourself permission to just be how you need to be. But maybe only half a rocky road bar. I can't even imagine how hard that must be. Do something nice for yourself to balance the stress of caretaking for others.
SW 263 CW 248.6 GW 160
Best Answer
0 Votes