Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight Loss for the Older Generation

Hi, new to the community but desperately need help as not getting anywhere.  If I give you a short run down which might help or not.  Been dieting & exercising for nearly two years now and although originally 196 pounds (only 5'4"), I have been stuck since last year between 154lbs to 162 lbs - I was at my lowest in August last year, went on holiday then wham it all went on again in two weeks (12 lbs).  I have not been able to loose weight since then, even though I struggle to get my calorie intake to 1,500, exercise Monday to Friday (Yoga twice a week, Aqua Aerobics, Pilates & Legs Bums & Tums).  I also walk on average 45 minutes to an hour a day, past three weeks I have done weight training as well (only small weights).  I am nearly 62 years old and my lungs aren't the best as ruined through smoking for over 40 years so I can't do running or anything like that.  I have ordered a 2 in 1 Elliptical Trainer to do extra at home which I will get next month.  Any ideas as to why I am not loosing anymore weight.  I want to get down to about 144 lbs as I only have a small frame.  It is alright being told if I am loosing the inches then the weight doesn't matter, but I have to face facts that there might come a time I can't exercise as much as I am at the moment and then it just goes all back to blubber so I would obviously love to loose the weight.  I have just looked at my Food intake and today hasn't been the best as I had breakfast out with a friend, but haven't eaten since & this is the result.  Something doesn't look quite right with this so any advice would help please.  Thanks.  Trish

Daily Totals

Calories 867
Fat 44.4 g
Fiber 13.2 g
Carbs 83.3 g
Sodium 919.5 mg
Protein 35.9 g
Water 2235.8 ml
Daily Calorie Composition: 38% from carbs, 46% from fat and 16% from protein.
Best Answer
0 Votes
7 REPLIES 7

@CarlyKooKoo

Hi. You will hear a bunch of advice etc; I will share mine 🙂  I'm in your age range.

I believe your total calories in is TOO LOW and your relative carbs are TOO HIGH.

Calories in-calories out doesn't work for us. It does for a while then we get stuck. Our good hormones eg testosterone for men is starting to fade...just exercising won't change anything.

Only diet will make the weight drop off, and the enemy is Insulin! Insulin drives calories into fat cells, and basically forces our bodies to prefer a lower metabolic rate over burning fat. The best solution is less carb intake.

I'm not talking Atkins ketosis stuff. I started by keeping carbs under 100g per day (pretty easy) and now am under 40 most days (not too hard once used to it). My fat is melting, and my calorie count is HIGHER than when I ate 'balanced'. I exercise about the same as before.

Google LCHF, dietdoctor, many others.

If you meet resistance to the low carb idea, ask yourself what you have to lose by trying. I started about a month ago, and cannot believe the results..my wife says I'm melting 🙂  

Just one of many ideas...this is the one that is working for me 🙂  Rob

Warner Baxter won Best Actor 1930 for "In Old Arizona"
Best Answer

@CarlyKooKoo,  I am only 50, but slow metabolism/insulin resistance/diabetes/cardio issues all run in my family in a big way.  I do know our metabolism slows as we age and mine has taken a dive!  So far, I have started limiting my carbs and get most of those from high fiber veggies.  I also avoid almost all bread - I use flatbread rounds for sandwiches or toast if I really am wanting bread - only 100 calories in them.  I no longer keep any junk around the house that I know I will eat freely - I do keep lots of celery/broccoli/cauliflower/carrots etc with very low calorie dipping sauce for the munchies that hit between meals. 

I have started using MyFitnessPal to log everything (and I do mean everything) I eat/drink in a day.  I have even started planning my daily meals using that website - it helps me stay on target if I 'pre-plan and pre-prep' my meals & snacks for the day.  Using the fitbit to track my excercise & letting it communicate with MyFitnessPal for calorie intake seems to be my best approach (as long as I stick with it!).

I agree with OCDOC that lower carbs and limiting sugar intake are good - I don't go extreme, I usually fall pretty close to what MyFitnessPal recommends for intake of the various totals with the exception of the carbs - I try to keep those at a 50 to 75% of total allowed. 

Good luck & feel free to add me as a friend - I love having folks to help motivate me to do better.  Also, check out the Valentines Day to Easter Challenge 2016 discussion.  That group has been working together for several challenges now and they are wonderful to work with.

Ruth

Best Answer
Hi there
Lot's of us 60 plus can relate to you struggles. First of all advice is great but before you do anything ck with your Dr first. I just turned 60 yrs old last April. I have always been active and never struggled with weight until turning 50. Some of my issues came after my heart attack at age 52 while teaching my step class. What an eye opener! I think what has helped me is to eat a wll balanced choice of foods! I lately have been cutting out lots of whie products and buying more organic grown foods. I am now recovering after hip surgery two weeks ago! I am seating it out because a am a runner and cardio lover. What is weard though by really watching my food intake (can't walk to fridge lol) I actually have lost weight. Maybe we do too much cardio ? Cardio is important but I might have been doing it too much! Everything comes into a healthy weight for us in food choices cardio light weight training flexibility and stress management. Don't get frustrated. Maybe you can discuss a plan with your doctor or consulting a nutrionalist ?😁
Best Answer

Thank you all for your input.  Today was an exception to the rule, as I would normally have three meals a day, but only had fruit for breakfast and an early lunch - which was a full English Breakfast & I had white bread for the first time in three months.  My plan is to see a Nutritionist to get a proper Diet Plan but unfortunately he can't see me until end of March which is a bummer really as it would be so nice to loose enough weight for my Spa Week at the end of May (special treat to myself) with the girls (ha ha, ladies I should say).  I am still trying to understand all this nutrition stuff as having eaten what I wanted right up until I was ill with COPD and told I had two years to live if I kept smoking (happy to say that was six years ago).  At that point in my life I couldn't even walk upstairs so not doing too bad now.  I also only eat fresh, can't get much organic here as it is far too expensive although things have improved somewhat in the past year (I live on the island of Cyprus).  I haven't eaten sugar in over a year now.  I do know my biggest fault is not eating enough green vegetables, although I am changing gradually (two years ago the only green veg I ate was peas) lol

I have just downloaded the MyFitnessPal & logged in today's food, although I was doing that with my HR Charge which 9 times out of 10 showed a deficit which I believe you should have if trying to loose weight and I am desperate to loose it.  My PT says I am not eating enough and believes my body is in starvation mode.  I have ordered one of those portion size plates to help me get the right amount in me.  Any other suggestions/ideas gratefully received.

Best Answer
Good for you! Sounds like you have a good plan with seeing the nutrionist! Ilness puts a different spin on things. Just when you are feeling down think of how far you have come and the positive path you are taking that is ahead.☺ good luck and stay healthy!
Best Answer

Hi Carly, and welcome to the community!

The people above me^ are on the right track with her advice for you-- as you age, losing weight becomes much harder, and the standard "calories-in-calories-out" model may not necessarily work anymore. This is because the body's hormones and metabolism change greatly as we age. The way hormones work is pretty complicated, so I'll boil it down for you the best I can:

There are two key hormones that see a decrease in activity as we age: thyroid hormone, and insulin. Thyroid hormone controls the amount of energy you consume while at rest (your basal metabolic rate), calorie burn for maintenance of body temperature, and the use of glucose and fat for energy, among other functions. Insulin increases storage of glycogen (stored carbohydrates) in the liver, prevents breakdown of stored glycogen, and lowers blood glucose levels. Because both of these hormones are slowing down, it means that your body is not burning calories the same way that it did when you were younger. You don't burn as much at rest, and because you have less insulin, your body's blood sugar will tend to spike and then rapidly decline, which can lead to weight gain.

There are a few things that you can do to manage the way your body is responding to the food you put into it, which is going to be the primary obstructive factor for your weight loss at this point. This is my best advice for you:

Eat as if you're diabetic. 

People with diabetes (many of whom, not coincidentally, are older individuals) have the same insulin insensitivity as elderly individuals, but on a much grander scale. When they eat foods that are high in carbohydrates and fats, their blood sugar will spike, because their cells aren't sensitive to the effects of insulin. In the same way, your body is releasing insulin more slowly, which means that your blood sugar will spike and stay high for longer. Normally, sugar in the blood will be broken down for energy, but when there's too much of it, the body must store it in the cells as fat. When your blood sugar spikes and stays high, the body has to scramble to get rid of it and store it in fat cells until insulin arrives to store it as glycogen in the liver.

The best thing you can do right now is to limit your simple sugars (white breads, pastas, white rice, sodas, candies, etc...) and increase your complex carbohydrates and fiber. That means eating less bread and more vegetables. Even some fruits should be avoided, because they have a lot of simple sugars in them. You can look up "low glycemic index foods" to find out what kind of foods are good for keeping your blood sugar spikes to a minimum. Of course, we're mostly dealing with sugar here, so feel free to eat more protein and healthy fats like olive oil and avocados.

You should also be mindful of the times that you're eating. You don't want your blood sugar to get too low, because when you eat again, your blood sugar spike will be even worse. Don't just eat breakfast and then skip meals for the rest of the day, and make sure that you're eating enough at meals. Nine-hundred calories a day is definitely not enough, and it's just going to make your blood sugar problem worse. 

Good luck with your weightloss journey, and hope that this advice is helpful for you.

Best Answer

Thank you for your advice.  For your information I already don't eat pasta, rice, soda or candy and today was the first time I had one slice of white bread in three months. I also try to stay away from a lot of grains - can't say 100% grain free and my meals are normally on based on Paleo.  My normal calorie intake is between 1,000 to 1,300, I struggle to get higher.  I will do a bit more research tomorrow on the low glycemic index food and take on board your suggestions, thanks.

Best Answer