Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight Loss with Fitbit

ANSWERED

Hello fellow fitbit users.

I have been using a fitbit since they first came on the market. I have recommitted myself to walking daily, lifting weights and logging my food. I have a goal of losing weight. Does anyone understand how setting a goal of losing weight and using the food log and calorie counter works? Is the number of calories left set to allow me to lose weight or maintain my current weight? I am not sure if I should try to be under the number of calories left by say 500 calories to ensure weight loss.

Does anyone know if I work to zero out my calories left but not exceed, will I lose weight? Does anyone know what rate the goal is set to lose weight?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

All calorie counting tools (including Fitbit) rely on the idea that you need a cumulated deficit of 3500 calories in order to lose one pound of body weight. That’s a average daily deficit of 500 calories.

When you create a food plan geared at losing weight in Fitbit, it will let you choose between four "intensities": 1) Easier, 2) Medium, 3) Kinda hard, 4) Harder. They correspond to daily deficits of 250, 500, 750 and 1000 calories, respectively. Based on your current weight and your target weight, Fitbit will tell you the estimated date when you should reach your target weight.

Have you created yourself a food plan and chosen an intensity for it? If so, have you got specific questions about that plan?

What you should keep in mind is that calories burned reported by Fitbit are an estimate, and the intake logged by you is also an estimate. For instance, Fitbit may say you burned 2000 calories and you counted your intake as 1500 calories (in which case you would have a estimated deficit of 500 calories), whereas in reality, you only burned 1800 calories and you actually ate 1700 calories (in which case your real deficit would only be 100 calories).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

All calorie counting tools (including Fitbit) rely on the idea that you need a cumulated deficit of 3500 calories in order to lose one pound of body weight. That’s a average daily deficit of 500 calories.

When you create a food plan geared at losing weight in Fitbit, it will let you choose between four "intensities": 1) Easier, 2) Medium, 3) Kinda hard, 4) Harder. They correspond to daily deficits of 250, 500, 750 and 1000 calories, respectively. Based on your current weight and your target weight, Fitbit will tell you the estimated date when you should reach your target weight.

Have you created yourself a food plan and chosen an intensity for it? If so, have you got specific questions about that plan?

What you should keep in mind is that calories burned reported by Fitbit are an estimate, and the intake logged by you is also an estimate. For instance, Fitbit may say you burned 2000 calories and you counted your intake as 1500 calories (in which case you would have a estimated deficit of 500 calories), whereas in reality, you only burned 1800 calories and you actually ate 1700 calories (in which case your real deficit would only be 100 calories).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Best Answer
Thank you for the information. I found your explanation very helpful.

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I remember setting up the intensities on my iphone fitbit app.  But now I can't find that page.  Can you tell me how to navigate to it?  Or even to find it on the website page?

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Mitytlyk : you need to edit your food plan at https://www.fitbit.com/foods/log

It’s under "Plan Summary":

2019-07-28_1810.png

Dominique | Finland

Best Answer
0 Votes
Got it! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for your helpful information - much appreciated!

Best Answer
0 Votes