Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight goal tracking

I use the fitbit app along with myfitnesspal. I don't really want to lose weight, I want to gain some muscle. If I put my weight goal in, which is to gain weight, I am urged to eat more and as such I'm gaining noisy fat. Not a lot yet but does anyone have an idea on what my goal should be? Maintain my weight for now and increase it only if I establish an exercise routine for gaining muscle? I'm 62 and get regular exercise, just not resistance training which I hope I start soon. 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 REPLY 1

You got it - set MFP to maintain.

Get your progressive lifting routine down - as that's the only way to gain appreciable muscle.

How much extra were you eating for how long to start gaining fat?

Realize you'd have to be 500 over maintenance daily to gain 1 lb of fat in a week.

If it was faster it was water weight, or extra food in the gut ready to go out.

Also - if your weight is in healthy range, you can do recomp eating at maintenance and doing the lifting, as the body uses more of what you eat to build that muscle, it has to use more stored fat for the daily energy use. Fat gone, muscle on!

Search MFP forum for topic on Recomp. or

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-los...

And for lifting routines:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you

Oh, to have better maintenance figures for calorie burn - log your lifting workouts as Weights on Fitbit, it may seem like small calorie burn, but that is true.

HR-based calorie burn would be inflated, distance-based burn would be nothing since not many steps while lifting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer
0 Votes