Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight loss advice needed

Hey guys!

I hope you're having a great Easter.

First of all, I don't mean to complain, I know losing weight takes time, but I've been so frustrated lately and I just need to understand how some things work so that I can stay motivated.

I started my weight loss journey in January at 98.7 kg and a height of 164 cm. I lost 6 kgs just by changing my diet, ate more healthy, more protein, whole grains etc and lowered my daily calorie intake to 1400-1500 which is also what I'm still eating right now. After I lost the 6 kg, I started working out. Some bodyweight training, running and cycling which I'm still keeping up. In the beginning, my weight went more up than down and also stood still for some time which I read is normal when you first start working out because of the water weight. After a while my scale started moving again and I enjoyed working out more and more. So much that I now work out/run/cycle (whichever I'm in the mood for, unfortunately I can't go to the gym at this time due to the Covid situation) around 2 hours a day. My Versa tells me that I'm burning around 3100 calories every day (My BMR is around 1600, even though I calculated that my correct BMR would be around 1500, since the Fitbit doesn't include the Brocca Index). I also know that the calories burned might not be 100% accurate, but the fact is, I'm sweating a lot every day and definitely eating in a calorie deficit and not exactly a little one. But now my weight is standing still again at 90 kgs and it won't go down. Its standing still since 2 weeks even though I'm burning 1500 active calories every day and sometimes even more. How can this be? I'm just so frustrated and I know that I just have to keep going, but I don't understand why its not going down at all when I'm working out so hard every day and eating well. I'm also drinking at least 3 liters of water every day. I would really love to have some advice, explanation or just some motivation from you guys. 

Thank you very much for your answers in advance.

Felicia

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

Congratulations on the loss so far! Don't give up! First, are you drinking plenty of water? The recommendation is to drink half your (pound) weight in oz of water. For example, I weigh 150 pounds, so I'm supposed to try to drink 75 ounces of water daily. Drinking plenty of water (not tea, coffee, juice, etc.) helps the body flush out the extra weight somehow. I don't know of a the metric equivalent to this, I guess you'll have do the conversion. 

Second, plateaus are common in weight loss. Your body is readjusting. Keep doing what you're doing. Sometimes they last a couple weeks, sometimes longer, or less. Did you take body measurements when you started? If not, are clothes fitting differently? Measure your body now, if you haven't. Then you'll have a non-scale indicator of your loss to check up on as well.

Are you tracking your food intake? That is, weighing portions and tracking protein, fat, carbs, etc? You may actually be eating more calories than you think, especially if you are guestimating portions. 

I lost 35 pounds last year with a combination of diet changes as well as exercise. I wasn't convinced it would work, so I did not take measurements when I started. I wish I had. I had plateaus and upswings. But the trend continued downward. Just keep plugging along. If the plateau continues, try a day of eating MORE calories than the 1400-1500 that you've been doing. Sometimes that will reset things and break the plateau.

Best Answer

@misscopilot I would do a reset. start over. take 3 days off from everything. redo your math, reset your target calories. order a scale on line if you don't own one and start over. when you start back up again, work at your reset target, weigh your food - every single thing that goes in your mouth- log your food and keep up your activity. you will see results. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes