Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight loss and RHR drop?

Hello Folks!

i was reaching out to see if anyone has any anecdotal experiences with weight loss + exercise driving RHR down?  I started using my FitBit in Oct ‘19 and have lost almost 50 pounds since.  Been doing calorie tracking and elliptical (7 days a week @ 35 mins and reaching cardio zone for the majority of the workout session).

RHR started at high 50s and now sits at 48-46 BPM.  Everything I’ve read seems to indicate my RHR is “conditioned athlete” level (I’m not).  Even had the Dr run a couple tests (thyroid, EKG, etc) and no issues identified.  

Anyone else have experiences with RHR taking a large downward trend after consistently wearing a FitBit and adopting a healthier lifestyle?

Thanks all!

Best Answer
6 REPLIES 6

Hi @PaulBunyanPacNW

First, congrats on your weight loss and improved fitness. The calorie tracking is so important and some people miss that step, so good for doing that!

I think it's normal to lower your RHR with weight loss and more exercise--many people here report that. From what I've seen, your initial RHR in the high 50s was on the low side compared to many on the weight loss journey, which may just be the way your body is. So while it's normal to have the RHR go down in the process, I'd say you show up in the "conditioned athlete" status because your RHR was on the low side to begin with, and now is closer to the numbers of a serious runner (regardless of your actual cardio fitness level).

Glad you followed through with the tests to confirm everything's OK. 

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

First, congratulations on your health journey! And good job on tracking all the metrics, not everyone tracks them all, and I think it makes a difference. 

Second, it makes sense your RHR would decrease as your cardiovascular (heart and circulatory) health improves. 

Think about it: if you are working out, your heart is getting good exercise and becoming able to beat slower while still circulating all your oxygenated blood.  Additionally, as you lose weight, your circulatory system is not as strained in trying deliver blood to as many locations arteries / veins / capillaries / etc. 

Your cholesterol could also be decreasing, further improving circulation. 

Best Answer

Makes sense that your RHR would drop in your situation @PaulBunyanPacNW.  Mine also dropped a bit when I lost about 40 lbs a few years ago.  Congrats on losing the weight!  Keep at it.

Scott | Baltimore MD

Charge 6; Inspire 3; Luxe; iPhone 13 Pro

Best Answer

Thanks much!  And a belated congrats on yours too.

Best Answer
0 Votes

It definitely makes sense.  I Initially posed the question as many of the fitness forums seemed to indicate that lowering RHR took multiple years vs such short-term gains.  Appreciate the support!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks much!

Yeah, it struck me as atypical because I don’t meet the criteria of “conditioned athlete”.  Hopefully with more diet and exercise I can rightfully claim that title some day.  

Best Answer
0 Votes