Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight loss for over 40's 😁

ANSWERED

Hi guys! I am COMPLETELY new to this so hoping I'm posting this in the right place!

I really need to lose 3 stone and am hoping my fitbit charge 2 is the way to go. I figured today  (Easter Sunday & April fools day! ) would be as good A day to start as any 😉

If anyone had any advice or tips they would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you 

Estelle 

Best Answer
0 Votes
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

My signature has all my stats below.

The ONLY advice I can give are these important ones that helped me over the last 15 months.

1. Don't drink your calories.
  2. Don't rely on exercise to lose the weight (80-90% of weight training/exercise is diet)
  3. Track your calories.
  4. Be consistent
  5. JERF = Just eat real food.

🙂

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
10 REPLIES 10

Hi,

My signature has all my stats below.

The ONLY advice I can give are these important ones that helped me over the last 15 months.

1. Don't drink your calories.
  2. Don't rely on exercise to lose the weight (80-90% of weight training/exercise is diet)
  3. Track your calories.
  4. Be consistent
  5. JERF = Just eat real food.

🙂

Best Answer

Thank you for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it!

Excellent advice too, thanks 😊

Best Answer

Welcome @Eackgettingfit -- congrats on your decision to take action.  Hard to improve on what @SunsetRunner suggested.  I must reinforce the value of tracking your eating to fully understand how much you actually eat.  And I agree that weight loss is mostly about what you eat.

I believe it is easier to lose a lot of weight than a little. When people try to lose a few pounds, they tend to take half-measures and trim around the edges.  They try to change their weight without changing their behaviors.  To lose a lot of weight, people understand they have to do things differently.  And once they act on that understanding, the weight comes off surprisingly easily.

Keeping it off?  Not as easy.  That's a different set of challenges, but first things first.  Please keep us informed!

Best Answer

@EackgettingfitI would echo what @SunsetRunner and @Daves_Not_Here have said. I am 44 and I started in mid January and I have lost 17 pounds so far. Don't drink your calories, keep away from junk food/ eating out  and get some exercise. And of course overall eat less calories than you burn.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I don't understand what "don't drink your calories" means?

Work out...eat... sleep...repeat!
Dave | California

Best Answer

Avoid alcohol, smoothies, etc.  It's better to eat whole foods.

Best Answer

Follow some sort of plan - even one you create on your own.  Just something concrete to help keep you focused when it comes to food choices.

Walk - outside at least 30 minutes a day.  Build up speed by trying to walk just a bit further each time.

Log everything - food, drinks, exercise.

Keep food on hand that fits your plan.

Rejoice in non scale victories.

Set small goals.  Instead of thinking you need to lose 20lbs, set a goal to lose 4.  Celebrate meeting it with a non food treat.

Have fun!

Best Answer
0 Votes

water water water... limit caffeine... don't drink soda or limit to a treat watch out for sweet tea. DONT DRINK DIET/ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS ANYTHING these trick your boy to look for calories because it is sweet and then whatever you eat it tries to convert into those sugar and then to fat. try to stick to water as much as possible

lots of protein some fats and carbs don't eliminate them go for complex carbs as much as possible think unprocessed like oats and stick to healthier fats when you need to use them like olive oil etc

Using a Charge 2
Always be yourself, Unless you can be WONDER WOMAN, then always be WONDER WOMAN
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm 54 and have gout (so no keto diets). I've lost 21 pounds since Jan, 2018. When I was young, I was able to lose weight by exercising, but I was running more than 30 miles/week to do it. That is no longer possible. I read a couple of articles in Jan stating that exercise is fantastic, but won't help you lose much weight, and that finally made sense to me. So I have very accurately tracked my weight and my calorie intake (I measure and weigh everything) for the last 4 months with a target of 1.6 to 2K calories/day, 10-15% fat and about 100 gm/day protein. I exercise moderately every day to keep my metabolic rate up. At first, I ate less of what I usually ate, and that was really hard. I had headaches, dizziness, I got cold and felt sluggish. I eventually changed my diet and eat mostly vegetables, then fruit and lean protein (egg whites, baked skinless chicken breast, lean fish, beans, non-fat yogurt and cottage cheese), tea, black coffee and water. I can eat as much as I want of all that. I eventually stopped eating things with flour (bread, pasta, chips), rice, avocados, red meat, cheese, salad (because of the dressing), sugary foods (watch out for low fat yogurt cups) except for very occasional treat meals to be social. I think the result is my insulin levels don't rise and fall as much. I feel great, look good (except my clothes don't fit :)), probably better than in my 20's. I can't imagine going back to my old habits. It was relatively easy for me - I live alone, it would be harder with others in the house who are not following the same diet. But worth it. Good luck!

Best Answer

It means drink water. Water has zero calories. You can also drink coffee black or tea, green tea etc with no sugar.

Best Answer