Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight loss from just walking 5 miles a day?

ANSWERED

Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight just walking their 5 miles a day and watching what they eat?  I am worried that 5 miles is not enough to really get the weight off.

Best Answer
109 REPLIES 109

I have found that it take more for me to lose weight. I have not used fitbit long but I have been on a weightloss journey for a couple of years now. I have also seen many drs that say for me since I was once over 300lbs it takes alot more for me to lose weight than someone that only weighed 200lbs. I find I still have to work twice as hard if not more than others that way the same as I do right now to see the scale move. I think it depends on your heaviest longest wieght, that will determine what you need to do as an individual

Best Answer

@Coralluvz wrote:

I have found that it take more for me to lose weight. I have not used fitbit long but I have been on a weightloss journey for a couple of years now. I have also seen many drs that say for me since I was once over 300lbs it takes alot more for me to lose weight than someone that only weighed 200lbs. I find I still have to work twice as hard if not more than others that way the same as I do right now to see the scale move. I think it depends on your heaviest longest wieght, that will determine what you need to do as an individual

Coralluvz,

Couldn't agree with you more.  I started on my weight loss campaign back on Nov 1, 2013 at 300 lbs.  LIke you, it was very difficult to overcome the many bad habits I had built up (snacking, couch potato, no exercise, etc.).

But with the help of a great doctor and nutritionist and very loving and understanding wife, I steadily lost the weight.  Had to keep withing dietary limits and slowly walk more and more each day.  Now, I'm burning about 2,00 claories more than I intake and losing about 3.4 lbs/wk. 

Just keep with it and become a little OCD like I have (getting up at 5 to do my walk at 5:30 AM every morning for instance and not eating ANYTHING after 8 PM).

Fitbit and my TomTom GPS Sportwatch have been very helpful in providing me with the metrics I need to monitor my progress and better appreicate my overall weight loss and wellness desptie the occassional upticks and binges.  Hopefully, you will find the Fitbit and other tools to help you as well.

Good luck on your continued weight loss and wellness success!

Lew Wgner

Lew Wagner
Author of Losing It - My Weight Loss Odyssey
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
Best Answer
0 Votes

For me it's not just about the calories burned during/by exercise.   When I'm exercising regularly, I find that I do better with my eating, and am generally more "conscious" about the rest of my health habits.  I feel better about myself when I exercise, so I tend to take better care of myself in all arenas.    Helps my libido too, which makes hubby happy 🙂 

Best Answer

My walking is down to around 5000 to 7000 steps /day and I maintain a steady weight and eat anything I want. I'm back to not walking anywhere when I don't have to. When I first got the Fitbit I started racking up steps and go on performance walks for no reason which resulted in me averaging around 12000 to 15000 steps day. The result was I started loosing wieght which was not my intention. In order to loose weight you're going to have to average about 10000 steps per day.

Loose Parts, from the Land of the free and home of the brave.
Best Answer

I am very inspires by your story. Keep up the great work!

Best Answer

We are very similar in age and goals.  I am 56 and my goal is to loose 50 lbs. this year.  I have had my fit bit for a few weeks and I have lost 10 lbs.  It has really helped to log what I am eating and I am very motivated to keep moving.  Do you have any tips?  I know the pounds come off easier at the beginning.  What did you do to change it up towards the end of the year?

Best Answer
Hi I really logged a lot of steps and kept my caloric intake to 1000 / 1200
per day. When I saw the weight coming off and I was gaining on my goal the
harder I worked. I think that commitment is 75% of it for me. I have lost
54 lbs and I am in a maintaining mode now. Good luck
Best Answer
0 Votes

I use to weight over 200lbs and when I first started to lose weight I'd only walk 5-6 miles 4-5 times a week and I watched what I ate. I lost about 10-15lbs in a month, but the more weight you lose the harder your workouts need to be.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@jcwootown wrote:
I really logged a lot of steps and kept my caloric intake to 1000 / 1200
per day.

A 1000-1200 calorie intake sounds extremely low for a man, especially if you are/were fairly active. Congrats on your weight loss in any case!

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I second this.

I started this year with my new fitbit, and a resolution to lose weight and get fit. I started running with a running club and still the weight wasn't coming off.

So I thought I try and 'shock' my body into shifting it, it was obviously feeling far too comfortable. I downloaded the Running for weight loss app. which is basically interval training. I was running shorter distances but harder in between walking. In effect, I was cooling down and heating up again so my body wasn't being allowed to adjust to a comfortable pace. With this app. I'm out for less time but I'm tired much sooner. I have certainly been feeling it next day.

Now, I am seeing the results on the weighing scales.

http://redrockapps.com/app/wlproen

Best Answer
0 Votes
I have lost 65 lbs by by walking 5+ miles per day and changing my eating habits. Walking has worked great for me, but I don't go for Sunday walks I walk at a pace that makes me sweat. In doing that daily the weight started falling off of me. May not work for everyone but it worked for me.
Best Answer

The best thing is to stay real busy. Fit eating in when you are hungry but don't get too hungry...that means preparing known calorie meals to grab at hunger attacks. I lost my best weight consuming a green coffee satchet first thing in the morning [dulled the hungry bugs[ plus working out on cardio and weights routines. The transformation was great although I only had 7 or 8 kilos to lose. Regularly forgetting to have a meal is good as well but a lot of people would dissagree with this. Once again it comes down to eating less and exercising to make yourself feel great without increasing your appetite.. It's 80% diet and 20% exercise so if you think you can walk away the pounds you could end up walking all day and who has time for that?

Best Answer

I do a T25 cardio workout almost every morning, walk after lunch, walk after, and I eat healthy. No sodas and cut down on bread and cheese. I have lost 20lbs since January and want to lose 25 more lbs, so now I am starting to walk 5 miles on the weekend. 

Like everyone else has said, you need to burn more calories than you take in to lose the weight. It does work but it takes time...just need to be committed.

Good Luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

It all about the burn!  Burning more than you consume.  Walking 5 miles is great but not if you then reward yourself with BR ice cream or chocolate cake.  Think about how activity children are - and sometimes they just don't like to eat!  LOL! Seriously children are super active more active than the amount of calories they eat.  So let's take a lesson from the little ones, NO MATTER OUR AGES, and get active alot!

Good luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

I am sure it will improve your muscle tone but probably not help you lose weight unless you eat properly. Otherwise every server/waitstaff/bartender in America would be skin and bones (I asked a few of them that I saw wearing a fitbit and they told me they easily get 20K in their 8 hour shifts alone and most just maintain their weight) I guess the body adjusts to what you typically do. I imagine if you were very lazy before the fitbit it would be enough to make a bit of a difference.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do a trifecta...limit ur calories to what ur goals are on the my fitness pal app, lift weights, and do cardio. That works!

Best Answer

Calories burned depends on the pace.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@AmyMullinicks wrote:

Calories burned depends on the pace.

By "pace" I assume you really mean heart rate.

Best Answer

I have always preferred walking. Walking over 5 miles is good, anyway how long it takes you …..

Especially at your current weight, you should observe some weight loss if you do it consistently and follow a proper healthy diet.

Read more about Walking Exercise

Best Answer
0 Votes
“avoid meals before two hours of exercise”. Is this an error? If so what should it read? If not, please explain because I cannot understand its meaning.

Pat Robertson
piffle@telus.net
If you are forwarding this message please use Bcc and delete any addresses from incoming mail before forwarding.
Best Answer
0 Votes