Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight loss from just walking 5 miles a day?

ANSWERED

Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight just walking their 5 miles a day and watching what they eat?  I am worried that 5 miles is not enough to really get the weight off.

Best Answer
109 REPLIES 109

@soapsuds wrote:
“avoid meals before two hours of exercise”. Is this an error? If so what should it read? If not, please explain because I cannot understand its meaning.

It is hard to explain something that is completely disconnected from the context.  Are you getting this advice when doing something specific or did you hear it as a general statement.  How does this apply to walking 5 miles each day for weight loss?

When you eat, and what you eat has little to do with weight loss, it is more about how much you eat from a calorie perspective and how much you move to build up calorie consumption.  5 miles of walking is between 10k and 12.5k steps for most people and can add about 100 to 200 calories of burn per day.  If you eat at your weight goal calorie intake, 100 to 200 calories burned per day over that yields about 1/2 lb of weight lost per week.  Most people won't notice this for several weeks.  If you adjust your calorie intake to 250 to 300 calories under your current weight would require, then you will burn about 1lb off per week (this will be somewhat fluid over time, you are looking for long term trends not day to day trends).  

A person 40 to 100 lbs over weight, can lose up to 2lb of weight per week for a while safely, at some point you need to cut back to 1.5 lbs then to 1lb. But it is all about calorie delta.  

So again, walking will not promote weight loss, the only thing that will promote weight loss is a calorie deficit, but walking can be a good way to increase your calorie deficit to improve weight loss without adding a lot of stress from running or other workout options.  

Best Answer
0 Votes
Where did I get the quote? I got it in the email I was answering, asking you to explain that.

Pat Robertson
piffle@telus.net
If you are forwarding this message please use Bcc and delete any addresses from incoming mail before forwarding.
Best Answer
0 Votes
Best Answer
0 Votes

soapsuds  captmiddy

The quote “avoid meals before two hours of exercise” comes from  the article link 

Read more about Walking Exercise

in lesathomas post.  .

@

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've only just started out with fitbit. First week I did all the food I eat. Second week started doing the extra walking 30 active minutes. Have not really changed my eating. We like a wine at weekend etc. Just weighted in Monday 3 weeks lost 2.5 k. I'm really pleased. 

Must also say I'm 59 years old and was 116.4k at start. So yes you can lose weight by walking. My calorie in is around 1500. So I haven't charged my eating. Hope this inspires you. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you. I think I should watch what I eat, but I don't and never have. Guess it's time...

Best Answer
0 Votes
I think if you track what you eat for a week you will get an idea of your average calorie intake and then you can go from there.😀

Sent from my Samsung device
Best Answer
0 Votes
I think if you track what you eat for a week you will get an idea of your average calorie intake and then you can go from there.😀

Best Answer
0 Votes

@PatinNC wrote:
 I would like to point out  the quote “avoid meals before two hours of exercise”  comes from   Read more about Walking Exercise

The article does list "Avoid meals before 2 hours of exercise" as an essential tip to follow, but doesn’t really explain why. I agree it’s not a good idea to start a heavy workout immediately after having a large meal, just because of the discomfort caused by all the food sitting in your stomach. However, I don’t see what’s wrong in having a light meal or a snack even 15-30 minutes prior to a walk, or any other kind of physical activity. Besides, walking isn’t the kind of activity that will be most disturbed by a large meal. In fact, a walk after a heavy meal will usually help with digestion.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I started walking 5 miles a day and eating under 2000 calories a day and I lost 28lbs in 1 month 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Congratulations.... I am still walking. I still need to cut out sweets. 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes
It's not that hard. Eat whatever you want just eat in moderation. MyFitnessPal helps

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
That is huge well done you. At moment I'm doing 5 to 7 K's most das trying to keep cal. At 1500 have lost 3 kgs (6lb) it great hearing about others doing the some thing. 😀

Best Answer
0 Votes
My daughter in law wanted me to go sugar free but enjoy fruit way to much. 😀

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes my fitbit has been brillent.😀

Best Answer
0 Votes
Keep it up, don't get discouraged. If you need anything just message me!
Best Answer
It's possible, if you don't do it gradually though you will most likely fail. It's really hard to just quit things that have been in your regular diet

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

I started walking 5 miles a day last year and 12,000 steps and lost 16lbs.

i watched what I ate and first thing every morning I drink fresh lemon juice and 

Braggs apple cider vinegar.  It continues to work for me.

Best Answer
0 Votes

How many calories did you eat

Best Answer
0 Votes

I end up getting total of 5+ miles per day on my fitbit.  About 3.0miles of that is 1hour walking.  Here's what I started nine days ago (from my profile):

58 year old male, married judge. 5'9", 228.2 lbs nine days ago. Started nine days ago: 1) eating more fruits and vegetables and using recommended serving sizes; 2) 3 meals + 2 snacks per day with max goal of 1800 calories; and 3) 1 hour per day walking outside or 3.0 mph on treadmill. Result? After nine days - one day ate 2100 calories (300 over goal), and one day 45 minutes walking instead of 1 hour.
Weight loss has average of .35 lbs per day so far.

Best Answer
0 Votes