Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight loss from just walking 5 miles a day?

ANSWERED

Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight just walking their 5 miles a day and watching what they eat?  I am worried that 5 miles is not enough to really get the weight off.

Best Answer
109 REPLIES 109

Hi,, I have a question for you!! I weigh 170 lb and I'm 5 foot 3!!  I don't eat much throughout the day, if I do it's mainly at night. Now my question is, do I have to walk 5 miles all at one time or can I do it instructions?? And if I don't eat much do I have to walk 5 miles to loss wait?? I'm going to walk 5 miles regardless but I just wanted to know just in case I don't want to!!

Best Answer
0 Votes

Hi Btm33

Yes I think it's fine to do the 5 miles in 2 walks. I sometimes dont have enough time in morning or its very wet . I do think you need to get your heart rate going. My main walk has 3 quiet steep climbers which I think is helpful. Remember to enjoy your walking I have 3 dogs that accompany me and also dont let me skip a walk lol. Good luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Btm33 : it’s not like there’s a magic/secret protocol you need to follow for weight loss. It’s all about calories in vs. calories out. 5 miles of walking (about 1.5 hours) will have you burn a decent amount of extra calories. For calories in, you’ll have to make sure "not eating much" (rather vague) will result in a caloric deficit, when matched against your daily walking and any other activity (or lack thereof).  

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I definitely think walking 5 miles a day can help, but it's very important to keep count of the calories that we eat and burn everyday.  This is essential, so we don't end up eating more than we are burning (something very common). 😀

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer
0 Votes

yes it is very much important to walk minimum 5 miles, 12000 steps, 500 Cal daily.

i lost 26 kg since October 19. and having calorie  control diet.   

Best Answer
0 Votes

@coolfit wrote:

i lost 26 kg since October 19. and having calorie  control diet.   

26 kg = 57.2 lbs. Oct 19 to Jan 28 = 14 weeks. You thus lost an average of 4.1 lbs per week, which implies an average daily deficit of 2040 calories. Even for someone young, tall and heavy, it takes a lot of activity, and very little eating, to be able to reach such a deficit.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Try  walking vigorously  5 miles per day  and try not to eat any food past 6pm and drink lots of water. 

Best Answer

Great question I been walking five miles a day for five years I lost 35 lbs. I try to eat right no soda no alcohol no smoking lots of water. The biggest thing eat your dinner early between 5:00 pm to 6:30 pm don’t eat anything after your dinner. You see the results mark my words. You doing fine. 🙏

Best Answer
0 Votes

I start walking on with my Fitbit on Feb 22nd 2016 on July 28th 2021walked ten thousand miles and 24 millions steps I am 61 I try my best every single day to five miles. Extremely happy 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with, @A24! That and impressive amount of steps.

Congratulations for the 35lbs lost! With a dedicated food plan and by walking a good amount of steps everyday, I was able to lose 30lbs as well 😀

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer