Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weight loss (new here & need advice)

ANSWERED

Over the past year, I gained about 21 pounds. It probably was a combination of not taking  care of myself during depression and then an introduction of a new medication. While my legs remained muscular, I gained weight primarily in my stomach, hips, and chest. After I started feeling better emotionally, I decided I needed to feel better physically.

So March 19th I was committed to making a change. My goal weight is 170. That is a weight I feel confident at and mostly have been at during my adult life until this past year.  I have kept my calories between 1200 to 1500 (depending on how active I am).   I have began to exercise for longer periods of time like running or doing the elliptical for 45 min to an hour within the past week or so. I have been using my lunch at work to take a 20 minute walk. While I am sure it is normal, my weight loss has slowed. I eat 2 small meals for breakfast  (like hard boiled egg with hummus) and lunch (grilled chicken with avocado). I eat a 500 to 600 calorie dinner with my family. I  am mostly eating protein with good fats but I am not eliminating carbs . I was told too high of protein  in my diet would be harsh on my kidney functioning (I donated a kidney in 2016)  I have been consciously drinking 80+ ounces of water completely.

I am not weighing myself every day because I know weight fluctuates. 

So here it goes...

March 18 - 194

March 20 - 191.8

March 23 - 188.7

March 25 - 187.8

March 28 - 187.1

March 31 - 185.7

April 5 - 184.7

April 10 - 182.6

I am not in a hurry or have a timeline. I am looking to make lifestyle changes to get me to my goal. I am 36 years old. I am 5'10' with a large frame. Any tips to keep going in the right direction? Should I not eat my largest meal at dinner? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you 🙂

p.s.  Until I started keeping track of my calories with the Fitbit app, I never knew how much I was consuming. It is really an eye opener...

Best Answer
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions
MamaBear, You are doing a GREAT JOB!!!. Looking at the weight you have lost, that seems to be perfect. Weight will always come down quickly in the beginning, you are sticking with it and that is fantastic. Losing 1-2 pounds a week is what you want to see. You do not want to lose a lot more then that, at a time. It sounds like you are eating the right kind of food groups. If you wanted to change something up, I would make breakfast your biggest meal. The reason is that you have all day to burn those calories, where if dinner is your biggest meal, you don't have time to burn those calories. I would probably stick closer to the 1,500 calories, as you do not want to starve your body, this depends on how much exercise you do in the day. Do you eat snacks, in between your meals? If not I would maybe eat a snack, like a cheese stick, or apple, since you have to watch your protein intake. Last thought, is do you do any type of weight lifting? If you do not, maybe add that into your workout regime, a couple days a week. What do you think? Hope this advice helps. CONGRATULATIONS!! On how far you have come, and how far you will go.

View best answer in original post

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

You have made remarkable progress - I'd just keep doing what you are doing. 🙂 Congrats on your loss!

Best Answer

I have to agree you are doing great and losing consistently.

Keep going you will get there!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer
MamaBear, You are doing a GREAT JOB!!!. Looking at the weight you have lost, that seems to be perfect. Weight will always come down quickly in the beginning, you are sticking with it and that is fantastic. Losing 1-2 pounds a week is what you want to see. You do not want to lose a lot more then that, at a time. It sounds like you are eating the right kind of food groups. If you wanted to change something up, I would make breakfast your biggest meal. The reason is that you have all day to burn those calories, where if dinner is your biggest meal, you don't have time to burn those calories. I would probably stick closer to the 1,500 calories, as you do not want to starve your body, this depends on how much exercise you do in the day. Do you eat snacks, in between your meals? If not I would maybe eat a snack, like a cheese stick, or apple, since you have to watch your protein intake. Last thought, is do you do any type of weight lifting? If you do not, maybe add that into your workout regime, a couple days a week. What do you think? Hope this advice helps. CONGRATULATIONS!! On how far you have come, and how far you will go.
Best Answer