Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are some good workouts to burn fat

I am looking for workouts to burn fat and gain muscle weight. I want to lose around 40-50 pounds by June 2015 can someone help me out on what are some good excersies or workout routines that have helped them.

I do not eat any red meat - low carb intake and usually eat lots of veggie and fruits 

I have a shake for breakfast

usually some type of veggie for snack

tuna or type of fish 2x a wk for lunch- off days i usually would eat chicken (wraps or in a salad or homemade soup or tuna and twisto crackers(once in a while)

Snack is again usually fruit or veggies 

dinner would be veggies, quinoa (veggie stry fry- but steamed veggies mixed in quinoa) 

so if i could get some help that would be awesome! Thank you ahead of time

Best Answer
5 REPLIES 5

I find that walking helps.  It's amazing how much walking we actually do during the day ---- didn't really realize it until I got my FitBit Flex and started monitoring my steps.  Each day a little more and I'm burning about 1 calorie per step ---- just need to take in a bit more calories during the day so I don't burn myself out by losing too many calories.  Hope you get lots of good ideas to help you in your search for workouts.  Have you checked on the Internet????  Check out "MyFitnessPal" as well.  Good luck.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@skeeter250 wrote:

I am looking for workouts to burn fat and gain muscle weight. I want to lose around 40-50 pounds by June 2015 can someone help me out on what are some good excersies or workout routines that have helped them.

I do not eat any red meat - low carb intake and usually eat lots of veggie and fruits 

I have a shake for breakfast

usually some type of veggie for snack

tuna or type of fish 2x a wk for lunch- off days i usually would eat chicken (wraps or in a salad or homemade soup or tuna and twisto crackers(once in a while)

Snack is again usually fruit or veggies 

dinner would be veggies, quinoa (veggie stry fry- but steamed veggies mixed in quinoa) 

so if i could get some help that would be awesome! Thank you ahead of time

Don't view the workouts and their energy source as the important part, view the change to the entire day.

You could do a decent cardio session and burn max fat you'll burn - for that 1 hr.

Let's say 600 calories, 50% fat calories = 300 calories fat / 9 cal/gram = 33 grams = 1.2 ounces fat burned during the workout.

And because it was an easy session - that's about the extent of the extra burn that cardio session gives you.

You could do a really difficult lifting session full body and burn mainly carbs then for the 1 hr but not many calories, but during repair for the next 24-36 hrs as metabolism is increased, you'll burn more calories and fat than that, because what you eat goes more towards the repair then just refilling glycogen stores.

So don't view it as just the workout. Depending on what you are training for, some slow cardio could be very appropriate, but all out cardio day after day will backfire too. But if you start viewing it as ONLY increased calorie burn, you'll make bad choices for your available time.

And you won't gain much of any muscle while in a diet. If a smallish deficit, lifting to failure in a progressive routine, for first 3-6 months as newbie you might gain an actual 1 lb every 6-8 weeks of muscle, after you have tapped out your existing muscle for all it can give you.

That's the only way you'll gain muscle, unless you have been totally couch bound for years with no muscle, in which case walking could build some. But walking doesn't need much either. Seen people in a hospital walking around....

But the amount of fat you could lose in that same time will show off a whole lot more muscle that what you could gain, and if it's stronger muscle from using it, even better. Because to get stronger you don't require more muscle at first. And getting stronger will make muscle bigger, even without adding more. Common misconception.

Curious - low carb intake, but you eat lots of fruits and vegetables. You do realize main component of fruits and vegetables, right?

And you have a real lack of protein their it sounds like, you are going to have to worry more about losing muscle mass in a diet, which is the norm, rather than hoping you'll gain any.

You might think about 1 gram per lb of goal weight as the daily goal to reach.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the next searcher of answers, mark a reply as Solved if it was, or a thumbs up if it was a good idea too.
Best Answer

When choosing a workout, I think the most important thing is that you find something that you enjoy doing.  There are a lot of workouts you can do to work towards your goals, it comes down to  Cardio + Strength.   What can you see yourself sticking to?  Do you like weights?  Martial Arts?  Yoga?  Check out YouTube to get some ideas.  Then go and try a class or two.   Most gyms/studios will give at least one complementary session.  Even if you want to train at home, it is a good idea to work with someone a few times.  Good form prevents injury!  Good luck to you!

Best Answer

You can hop on the elliptical every morning. My general routine is check in to a 24 Hour Fitness 2 hours before you have to hit the Interstate.

HR Interval, My Heart Rate (130-148 BPM), 99 Minutes, Minimum end is 10,000 Steps Goal

You don't want the Quick Start. Quick Start - No Effort Whatsoever, No Fat Burning, etc.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I adopted the Shred Diet program of Ian K. Smith, M.D. just a few days before I started wearing my fitbit. I think this diet is aptly named. I stumbled upon it when I found his books by chance at the library.

The results are most encouraging: I'm now 3 weeks into the, "Shred 6 Week Plan," plus more vigorous walking (6-10 miles per day) and I'm down 17 lbs.! I increased the walking routine each day by 10-15 minutes and try to walk between 4-4.5 miles per hour once I get warmed up. I also play tennis and now that I have the walking down to an almost daily 2 hours, I'm going to try and add some weight training into the mix. I'm sure I might burn even more fat off if I hopped back on my NordicTrak, but I like to save that for the pre-ski season agenda.

I have never found a diet so eay to follow as Shred. The food's great, there's plenty of it and I never feel hungry. Shred seems made for fitbit wearers as it's on a regular cycle of scheduled meals and snacks  so I just set my "Silent Alarms," accordingly. I deviated from the diet three days ago, but cooked everything but the dessert for a friend's 50th birthday large dinner party from the Shred Diet Cookbook. Folks loved the food and no one thought it was from a Diet Cookbook. Psychologically, I was prepared to have gained back a couple of lbs. after that dinner party, but the next morning I hopped on the scale expecting the worst only to find that I had actually dropped another 1/2 lb.!  Let's party some more folks!

This Fitbit + Shred Diet sure seems like a genuine win-win situation. I also feel like it's encouraging much more of a nutritional lifestyle than adopting a diet. There's even a, "Shredders," group in the fitbit community pages.

Best Answer
0 Votes