Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What benefits are you experiencing by losing weight?

Hello all - starting to lose weight brings some immediate rewards that help offset the challenge of changing behavior patterns around food and exercise.  I thought it would be fun to compare the benefits we are experiencing.

Here are some of mine:  Even though I'm not even halfway to my ultimate goal, I'm already able to enjoy:

• Getting my wardrobe back - it's Christmas every day in my closet.
  • More money - I used to fritter away $5 to $10 per day on various snacks, drinks, and fast food.  Now that I drink only water, cook most my food, and eat half the calories, I figure my savings in after-tax dollars are like having received a $5,000 - $7,000 annual salary increase.
  • Floor accessibility - When I had a more ginormous gut in the way, I found myself avoiding any task that had to happen below an altitude of 12 inches.  Like wearing shoes with laces.  Now if I drop a quarter, I pick it up.
  • Less photo-avoidance - I'm still no bargain in the looks department, but if I find I have been accidentally photographed, at least I have less of the fat-face cringe response.
  • No snoring - after a year of sleeping with a CPAP machine, I've turned it off.  I never much liked that thing anyway, and I'm thinking that when hit my goal weight, I'll reward myself by hitting it with a hammer.

So now, when I'm feeling drawn by the siren-song of a box of Krispy Kremes, I just recall these benefits and it makes it easier to stay the course!

Best Answer
8 REPLIES 8

@Daves_Not_Here, you are doing so well!  I love the "floor accessibility" advantage.  I wouod definitely pick up a quarter...

And that is an amazing assessment of the extra income!

Your posts are always positive and helpful.  Keep it up!

Sense, Charge 5, Inspire 2; iOS and Android

Best Answer

@Daves_Not_Here wrote:
  • No snoring - after a year of sleeping with a CPAP machine, I've turned it off.  I never much liked that thing anyway, and I'm thinking that when hit my goal weight, I'll reward myself by hitting it with a hammer.

I'm also on a CPAP machine and would like to get off of it too. Hopefully some weight loss will help me accomplish this goal.

Best Answer

exhile wrote:  I'm also on a CPAP machine and would like to get off of it too. Hopefully some weight loss will help me accomplish this goal.

Hi @exhile - I think it will depend on if you started needing it after gaining weight.  If so, I think you could very well find yourself getting off if you lose the weight.  Hey, another reason to get serious about losing weight, right?

Best Answer
  • More energy
  • More money (for some reason when I'm thinner I get better job offers)
  • Better service (again when I look healthy, clerks suddenly see me)
  • Strangers are nicer (holding a door, giving random compliments)
  • More confidence 
  • More fun shopping  - I used to see cute things and ask my daughter to try them on.  Now I can try them on!  It's interesting for me to find things I like for myself vs buying the cheapest tee I could find in my size.  There is a huge price difference in a women's medium/junior large vs a plus size in both cost and selection.
  • Less wear and tear on your bed, couch, car seat (butt indents)
  • Better sleep
  • More strength
  • I got my wardrobe back!
  • I didn't eat out so i don't have a savings there.
  • RE floor accessibility: I took a workshop yesterday of self defense and we got up and down from the floor about 10 times.  That in the past took a lot out of me.  
  • I've noticed fabrics are a better quality - tee shirts are less thin.  I used to get little holes on the front of my tee shirts.  
  • I don't mind photos as much but I'm still awkward in them
  • Yes to no snoring!
  • And I also have not (knock on wood) been ill for more than 12 hours since I lost weight.  I had a couple seasonal migraines but nothing like I used to get!
  • Honestly, I just like myself more.  I had no idea I was super depressed.  I was angry and bitter and sarcastic.  

Best Answer

So many benefits. So much has improved but what sticks strongest in mind is how much easier everything is and how much more happier I am. I'm fitter then I've been in easily 20 years and it's fantastic 

Best Answer

@EmjayH wrote:

So many benefits. So much has improved but what sticks strongest in mind is how much easier everything is and how much more happier I am. I'm fitter then I've been in easily 20 years and it's fantastic 

@EmjayH  Isn't it cool how you can, through your own actions, become healthier and stronger.  You are reversing some of the effects of aging and feeling younger than 5 or 10 years ago.  How empowering!

@MagsOnTheBeach - so great you are experiencing so many positive strokes.  I agree with you about lifting the depression -- it's kind of a virtuous circle how you feel better physically, which puts you in a better frame of mind, which gives you the confidence and motivation to continue engaging in actions that will continue to improve how you feel physically.

Best Answer

Muffin top is GONE! 🙌🏻

Best Answer
  • More energy
  • My asthma is like not there anymore! I can even run 🙂
  • No snoring - before I used to snore like a bear
  • Easy to shop for clothes as long as they have size XS ( due to my height )
  • All medical readings went back to normal - I'm approaching my 40s being totally healthy
  • Learned better self-control, got stronger willpower.
  • Some amount of success in getting my wife on a track of healthy living 🙂

Not much of a benefit but in my case, it's less money 😉 Healthy living seems to be a lot more expensive than unhealthy, at least in the UK 😉 Also, buying all the clothes again hit my wallet 😉 But at least shopping now isn't a nightmare and stress. Now if I need to buy something I just go and buy.

Best Answer