Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is Happening?

I can't figure out what is happening. I am 6' 227 lbs, 43 year old male.

Since getting an Aria, I've been ramping up my daily activity considerably.  I saw a clear downward trend first with my body fat % then seeing weight start to follow.  I moved down from 229 to 223 with lows around 221.  Then I went on a vacation.  My daily activity remained pretty close to what I was doing before I left, but I did not eat as well - travelling is hard to keep with a diet plus snacking in the car out of boredom is very hard to avoid.  I came back expecting to have lost momentum, but I was shocked that I was up 5 pounds!  The strange thing is that my Body fat number didn't move at all. It was pretty much stable all the way through.  Since then I have re-established my routines, am back to limited snacking and no restaurant foods, and ramped up my daily steps even higher (15k per day before I was around 13k).  No progress.  Anybody know what's happening?

Best Answer
0 Votes
4 REPLIES 4

You are consuming more calories than you are burning. Fix the food and the weight will start to fall.

Best Answer

You’re paying too much attention to your activity level and not enough to your eating (and possibly drinking). Don’t get me wrong: being physically active is a good thing, but you have to think of its benefits primarily in terms of health and fitness, not so much weight loss. The difference between 10k and 15k steps is relatively small in terms of extra calories burned, but the time required to rack in these extra calories can be up to one hour.  You can easily cancel out these calories in a couple of minutes, by eating caloric-dense foods like pizza or a donut. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer

You are over 40 and probably at a weight that you've consistently been at for some time.  It will take effort and diligent tracking to lose weight and if you stray for a few days you'll end up back where you started rather quickly.

Not knowing how you've ramped up your activity, it is very possible that the # on the scale is not the correct goal you want to chase.

Best Answer

hey there and yeah.. you are eating more calories than you should for weight loss. if you aren't losing or gaining, you are eating to what you are burning which is preventing you from losing. monitoring more closely exactly what the caloric values are in your food choices, the portions and how they compare to what you are burning, will help you start to lose again...

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer
0 Votes