Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What should my caloric goal be?

Hey everyone!

I just got my fitbit today, because I'm hoping to lose some weight, and before getting it I would follow a 1200 calorie diet, unless I was exercising and then I would eat 1500. 

I am confused on what to put as my calorie goal, knowing that it includes my bmr, how would I decide what my calorie goal should be?

(I am 21, a female, 5'4', 165lbs if that matters)

Thanks so much for any help!

Best Answer
0 Votes
2 REPLIES 2

@dififcult -- Install the Fitbit app on your smartphone, go through the setup process on the app, and it will tell you (on a daily basis) how many calories to eat to lose weight. Believe me, it's accurate and it works - I'm about 60 pounds lighter in 17 months of Fitbit ownership, so I know it works. {grin}

Versa 4 through a Motorola Razr 2023 // Retired Charge 5, Blaze, Versa and Charge HR // Fitbit Fan since 2016, 50+ pounds lost
Best Answer

@dififcult: you may want to have a look at Fitbit’s Food Plan Demystified and ask additional questions if necessary.

If you prefer to use MyFitnessPal for logging your intake (many people like that app), you can use that too. It works both ways: MFP can get exercise calories from Fitbit and Fitbit can get intake calories from MFP. MFP should guide you through the setup based on your goal (how much you want to lose, and in what time).

You can also use a calculator such as this one to double-check the numbers.

Take into account all these (Fitbit, MFP, calculators) make assumptions about your metabolism (based on your age, weight, height etc.) that may or may not perfectly apply to you. You may for instance expend less energy than what your Fitbit is telling. Even different Fitbit trackers don’t agree between themselves. After a while, you should find out how accurate your Fitbit is, and make adjustments if needed.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes