Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why weight gain is an issue for so many

Greetings from your friendly neighborhood antagonist. 

I wanted to share an experience. Well, experience is too strong a term, I think. Let me share some knowledge. 

I like to lift weights. From a math perspective, lifting weights always seemed to me more efficient than cardio. But - sometimes, when the central nervous system is worn out, you have to rest. Not that I would ever be so in tune with my body that I would recognize it's my central nervous system needs rest. All I knew was that I just didn't want to lift. 

So, I went for a walk. I wanted my walk to be productive, so I began to search for a podcast to listen to, something informative. 

I found Katy Says - a podcast by Katy Bowman and Dani Hemmat. In that podcast, they discuss how essentially, with all of our technological advances, our bodies haven't really figured this stuff out. 

Our foods are essentially gathered and hunted for us; most of us don't plant the produce, nor kill the chickens or cows that are on our plates. 

We sit all the time -and have issues because of it. We sit all the time now, in response to the fact that 40-50 years ago - as a society, most of us back then stood all the time. And had issues because of it. 

And - if we move all the time - we have issues because of it - joint pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, etc. 

I encourage all of you to take some time to listen to the Katy Says podcast, she can certainly share the info more clearly than I can. 

But - be warned. If she is right - life is like a chess game. You move one way - some other part of your body is being ignored. We simply can't challenge every part, every day. But, I think with a more clear idea of our own body's bio-mechanics, we can certainly take a step on that path  - to where we realize that fat isn't necessarily evil. It serves a purpose. 

Being out of shape certainly doesn't do anything for you, but it's symptomatic of who you are and what you do on a regular basis. 

Your knee hurts? Why ? Think about it. What kind of shoes are you wearing? What surfaces do you walk on? What's your gait like? Why is your gait like that? 

Can you do a squat? Can you go from a squat to being on one bended knee without losing your balance a little bit? (think of the wedding proposal position) 

Is your bed really doing you a favor? Could you sleep on a different surface and still get recuperative rest? 

Is central heat and air outsourcing our bodies' temperature control system? 

To sum up, the theory is that the reason we're heavy and myopic is because we don't spend enough time outside living. My guess is, she's right. 

Next year, I plan to grow my produce. I won't farm animals - I don't have the space and I'd feel less guilty about killing some spaghetti squash than I would some chickens. But, I think it's a step in the right direction. If I grow some of my own food - I'll have more time outside, more work being done by myself, rather than the farmers who sell to the grocers. 

Less time working out - more time living. 

Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese
Best Answer
21 REPLIES 21

@Ukase wrote:

Next year, I plan to grow my produce. I won't farm animals - I don't have the space and I'd feel less guilty about killing some spaghetti squash than I would some chickens. 

I had a humorous thought as I read that portion of your post...

Having raised (and eaten) chickens at various points in my life, I have been known to say, "For most breeds of chickens, you're doing them a favor by eating them."

Best Answer
0 Votes

I just started lifting weights, and compared to my bike, and walks, lifting weights is the least effective way to burn calories.  However it really depends on what you are trying to do.  If you want to bulk up and get stronger, then weight lifting is only way to go.  It will help you lose weight, but it will take a lot longer than just walking 60 minutes a day.  For me a 30 minute walk burns around 450 calories.  Weight lifting fo rme burns around 180 in 30 minutes.  Riding my bike is around 250-300 calories for 30 minutes...

Plus I can walk everyday, and you have to change the muscles groups you weight lift eveyrday if you want to lift everyday.

I do think people do not spend enough time outside.  Just from the beneift of vitamin d from sunlight is worth it. 

I have great muscle strength in my legs after walking and biking for 9 months.  My upper body is another story.  Which is why I've added weight training for my upper body, arms, shoulders...  Plus working on my abs.

So she's right, anytime you stress one set of muscles, you leave the others unstressed.  Even walking vs. cycling uses different muscle groups in the legs.

I can power walk six miles in around 140 minutes.  14000 steps...  My wife cannot.  My wife can do 20,000 steps just working in the yard, taking care of our animals.  We have goats, chickens, rabbits, and dogs.  She can be out there all day long...

A few weeks ago we went and shopped at some antique stores.  After about 8000 steps I was exhausted.  It was look impact stuff, but spread out over 3 hours.  My wife wasn't tired at all.  And ended up doing 14,000 steps.  So who is in better shape?  Me the power walker, or her being able to slow walk for 5-6 hours? 

I honestly don't know the answer.  I will say that fresh chicken and rabbit tastes so much better than store bought.  And FRESH EGGS, nothing like them!

I will say, after losing 66 lbs, temperature bothers me a heck of a lot less than it used to!

John | Texas,USA | Surge | Aria | Blaze | Windows | iPhone | Always consult with a doctor regarding all medical issues. Keep active!!!
Best Answer
0 Votes

@JohnRi wrote:

I will say, after losing 66 lbs, temperature bothers me a heck of a lot less than it used to!

I think there is little doubt losing weight can enhance one's ability to deal with temperature extremes, at least on the hotter side of the spectrum.  That said, I've found regardless of whether I'm heavy or not, simply working out in the heat helps acclimatize me.

Case in point, years ago I would always go for early morning or late evening runs to avoid the worst of the heat, however, one year I was planning on doing a lot of long(ish) endurance racing where it would typically be noon(ish) when I'd cross the finish line.  That year I reasoned, "Hey, if I'm racing in the heat, I darn well better be training in it."  No day was too hot for me to go out and run, even when it was over 100°F; the good news was not only did I benefit when I was racing, I also felt soooo much better when dressed in a suit and visiting clients.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I live in Houston Texas.  Sunday was around 90 with a heat index over 100.  About 100% humiidy.  To make matters worse, right as I got to the park, it started raining.  So I waited for the storm to pass, and 30 minutes later I started walking.  The fresh rain, and then the sun made it even more humid.  By the end of the walk, all of my quick dry clothes were soaked with sweat.  I was so wet, sweat was dripping from my shorts, dripping from my hat, and just pouring down my arms and face.  I've never sweat like that before.  Lost about 3 lbs of water weight, and had to drink a ton afterwards.  Turns out I also had my fastest walk ever.  16:49 a mile average pace over six miles.  I had a similar walk yesterday, but it was around 95, heat index 105.  I only did five miles, but my pace was 16:45.  I just had to stop, my water bottle was empty, and I was dying of thirst. 

This is first time this year it's been this hot so far.  Losing all the fat has helped make it a heck of a lot nicer out there in the heat.  I'm curious what winter is going to be like without 90 lbs of extra insulation....

John | Texas,USA | Surge | Aria | Blaze | Windows | iPhone | Always consult with a doctor regarding all medical issues. Keep active!!!
Best Answer

You have winter down in Houston?  (just kidding)

Up in my neck of the woods we typically range from high 90s and humid in the summer to below zero a few times each winter.  The good news is I've never noticed a difference between being at a lower weight and in shape versus being heavy and not in shape.  The only way I can explain the lack of difference is when I'm in shape I'm burning more calories per hour, even when I'm sitting on my butt, and as such, I generate more heat.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@JohnRi wrote:

I just started lifting weights, and compared to my bike, and walks, lifting weights is the least effective way to burn calories.  However it really depends on what you are trying to do.  If you want to bulk up and get stronger, then weight lifting is only way to go.  It will help you lose weight, but it will take a lot longer than just walking 60 minutes a day.  For me a 30 minute walk burns around 450 calories.  Weight lifting fo rme burns around 180 in 30 minutes.  Riding my bike is around 250-300 calories for 30 minutes...

I'll let you know next week when I actually start into more formal routines, but I don't find walking as effective as strength training.  As a woman it takes way more effort than I'm ever going to put into it to bulk up, but stronger is good.  I'm more willing to put extra time into weight training, I don't specifically go for a walk.  Increasing, or even just maintaining muscle mass when losing is good.  You may not see an instant burn change, but the body burns more for a pound of muscle than a pound of fat (not much, but it becomes more efficient).  Also, that pound of muscle takes up less space.  I did lots of walking the first time I lost weight, but when I started strength training people noticed more as it looked like I'd started to lose faster.

Anyway, off to do a completely different kind of exercise... watering, weeding, and some swimming as it's nice and warm out today and I even got out of work a little early.  Smiley LOL

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@A_Lurker wrote:

I'll let you know next week when I actually start into more formal routines, but I don't find walking as effective as strength training. 

I agree ... walking is the least efficient for me as well. I burn about 200 calories per hour walking, 400 calories per hour lifting weights, about 500 on a stationary bike and about 700 calories per hour running.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Regarding balancing various muscle groups ... that's why I always include a balance of running and weight lifting. While there are certainly some minor muscle groups not covered, I'm strong in both upper and lower body and have cardio endurance sufficient to easily run for 1.5 hours. Most people that train for endurance races either lift light weights or no weights at all. I do just the opposite. I lift heavy and low reps including heavy squats and deadlifts. It was initially a struggle figuring out how to mix running and lifting heavy but I eventually found a way to make it work. Interestingly enough, most people avoid heavy squats because they fear knee pain/injury ... when I start to have knee problems, I focus more on doing my squats regularly.

While lifting weights burns a lot fewer calories, I tend to be leaner when I'm lifting and running vs. just running. I think that's mainly because lifting for me usually means 2 workouts per day on lifting days -- 1 to 1.5 hours of lifting followed by a 45 minute easy paced run. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

@UkaseKaty is in this months Prevention talking about movement macronutrients and I have started to use several of them. I haven't sawed the legs off the furnitue yet but I am more consious of what I do in the house when I am moving or sitting. My walks are on natural surfaces but I'll have to ditch the cross trainers for soft flat shoes. It reminds me of how we moved when I was a kid growing up at the beach, barefoot all the time.

Correction, it is actually in the July issue which came in the mail.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I think that for many - lifting heavy weights is pretty daunting. It is easy to get hurt lifting, particularly if there are other bio-mechanical issues. I think a little fear is healthy. 

But - I mean - let's consider a child in a sand box. Some are quite comfortable squatting down - not on their knees, but in a squat, just with their feet touching the sand while they maneuver little army men, or whatever has their attention at the time. And they can do this for a long time! Yes, they'll shift their weight a bit - little muscles get tired, too. 

But as we age - we get out of that habit and lose the ability. (most of us)

And I think it's our bodies not being able to keep up with technological changes that's got us all fouled up. (well, some of us, anyway)

Instead of learning outside - as a kid, I sat in a desk/chair combo from 8am to 3:30 pm with two 30 minute recess breaks and lunch.  So, about 5 and a half hours a day - with assisted sitting - as opposed to just standing at a higher table. But, even standing for 5.5 hours would cause issues. Moving around for 5.5 hours would cause issues, too. We may need to find away to break that school day up into smaller parts, or better manage the environment our children learn in. Because if we keep doing things the same way - we'll get the same results. Which is insane, by definition.

And FitbeforeFifty -if you're cooking off that many calories while lifting weights - you're really going at it. Can I ask you to share your routine, and how you assessed the amount of calories you're burning?  

Those who have no idea what they are doing genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they're doing. - John Cleese
Best Answer

@Ukase wrote:

And FitbeforeFifty -if you're cooking off that many calories while lifting weights - you're really going at it. Can I ask you to share your routine, and how you assessed the amount of calories you're burning?  

My workout routine is a full body workout routine with 2 segments. 

The first segment is modeled after 5x5 stronglifts (5 sets of 5 reps somewhere around 75% of my 1 rep max: bench press, squats, deadlifts, overhead press, bent over rows all using barbells and free weights. 

After completing the heavy stuff with rest periods, I move to the second segment which is based on super sets with minimal rest. This routine varies based on how much time I have that day.

The estimate for calorie burn is based on METs and somewhat confirmed by my ability to eat the calories back and maintain my weight for several years.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Okay, maybe not as many calories burned as I thought, but lots of sweat and I will probably hurt tomorrow.  It's been way too long, but ~300 cals in 40 mins.  Sitting on the couch is about 56 calories for that same time period.

Stage 1 is short and sweet.

- 10 mins warm up (walked around, did some walking lunges)

- 8 squat to stand

- 2x5 lateral lunges

- 2x5 reverse lunges with overhead reach

- 8 inchworms

- 8 bodyweight squats

2 x 15 barbell squats (bar only, bar+5lbs)

2 x 15 push-ups (doing 60-degree at the moment)

2 x 15 bent over rows (bar+5, bar+15)  <-- this definitely could have been heavier

2 x 15 step ups (onto 8" step, each leg)  <-- this killed me

2 x 8 prone jackknife <-- I still have a tendency to fall off the ball   Smiley Embarassed

The squats create an issue as I have to lift the bar on to my shoulders.  I likely will never go that heavy with it, however, I am doing this with a bodyweight still over 300 lbs.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@FitBeforeFifty wrote:

I agree ... walking is the least efficient for me as well. I burn about 200 calories per hour walking, 400 calories per hour lifting weights, about 500 on a stationary bike and about 700 calories per hour running.

Your numbers don’t add up (walking vs. running). Walking at 3.5 mph (which is not particularly fast walking) is 4.3 METs. Running at 7 mph (which is already quite challenging, if you need to sustain that pace for one hour straight) is "only" 11 METs. 

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@FitBeforeFifty wrote:

The estimate for calorie burn is based on METs

You said you burn 200 calories per hour walking, and 500 calories lifting weights. These numbers don’t add up either:

"resistance training (weight lifting - free weight, nautilus or universal), power lifting or body building, vigorous effort (Taylor Code 210)" is 6.0 METs

"resistance (weight) training, squats , slow or explosive effort" is 5.0 METs

Not much more that walking at 3.5 mph (4.3 METs).

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@Dominique wrote:

@FitBeforeFifty wrote:

The estimate for calorie burn is based on METs

You said you burn 200 calories per hour walking, and 500 calories lifting weights. These numbers don’t add up either

No, I said 200 walking and 400 calories lifting. I also detailed my routine, which you can see is a hybrid of heavy lifting and super sets. The numbers do add up, see the screen shots below.

I have logged exercise and food for many years -- I started in June of 2011. I have a pretty good idea what I burn because I lost weight and subsequently maintained my weight eating based on those numbers for several years.

Here's the screen shots from the tool I used to track food and exercise for 4 years. It uses NET METs (so the numbers you see have my sedentary TDEE subtracted out): 

@193 for walking @ 3.5 mph

415 for my weight lifting routine

walkingVsWeights.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

Dominique wrote:

Your numbers don’t add up (walking vs. running). Walking at 3.5 mph (which is not particularly fast walking) is 4.3 METs. Running at 7 mph (which is already quite challenging, if you need to sustain that pace for one hour straight) is "only" 11 METs. 

To answer your running chellenge, these numbers also add up -- unless you are trying to say 691 isn't close enough to 700.

runningOneHour.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

@FitBeforeFifty wrote:

@Dominique wrote:

To answer your running chellenge, these numbers also add up -- unless you are trying to say 691 isn't close enough to 700.

runningOneHour.png

Interesting; it appears you burn just a hair less than 99 calories per mile when you're running at an 8.5 minute pace.  Is it safe to assume that is on a relatively cool day on relatively flat terrain?

I ask because I just went through some of my logs and see a rather significant difference in our burn rates (and my own burn rates for that matter) per mile under various conditions.  Here are a few examples of some runs I looked at:

CalorieBurn1.png

Best Answer
0 Votes

@shipo, I live in Dallas, not a lot of hills but plenty of heat. These calorie burns are estimates based on METs and not HR. METs doesn't care about HR or hills or heat. I consider it to average out over the year.

These are the stats and estimates from my 7 mile run this morning @ 8:30 

84 degrees, 62% humidity (feels like 88), 61 ft elevation gain (basically flat):

Fitbit: 753 calories 

Garmin: 791 calories 

Net Mets: 691

Best Answer
0 Votes

Dispite the thread de-evolving into a calorie burn discussion (-; I believe the OP and his pod cast has some valid points.  I really wish I were able to have more control over my sedentary time.  I have a multitude of negative influences that are difficult to over come.  Firstly, I'm a software developer so talk about sitting all day.  Secondly, I do this as a consultant putting me on a plane twice a week and living out of hotels and eating out of restuarants.  Lately, as I mentioned in another post, the work load has been huge.  In fact, as I write this, I'm still at the office trying to help troubleshoot some issues and it's 7:14 pm which has me here 12 hours so far today.

I grew up in rual Tennessee.  I hunted, backpacked, hiked, fished and worked at a resort.  I also played basketball and ran track.  It was a good life and I now own the house I grew up in, but I also live in GA cause, well, it's just easier to fly out of ATL than fly THROUGH ATL.  But oh do I miss those days.

Walks in the woods ease stress, lower blood pressure and just generally improve health markers.  I applaud you for the ambition to begin a garden.  I can't do that because I'm gone too much, but I do buy some of my food from a local, organic farm along with meat, milk and eggs.  But it's about the work as well and getting dirt under your finger nails.

“Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in.”
― Isaac Asimov

“Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin
Best Answer
0 Votes