Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

calorie burn and mfp questions

hi everyone 

i have had my fitbit for about 4 weeks now and i love it, the reason i got it is so that i can keep track of my activity and link it to my fitness pal so i can maintain my weight (since i reached my target weight after loosing 5.9 stone since may ) which so far i have managed to do.

my issue is that according to my fitbit app and my fitness pal i am at a calorie deficit of between 500-1500 everyday but my weight is staying the same which i know is what i want but i dont want it to be because if me not eating enough.

i am 32, 151lbs and 5ft9 and i have mfp activity level set to active

each day i walk about 24,000 steps which include:

50min dog walk, 50 min walk to work and a 40 min walk back every day.

my calories burned on fitbit is 3,790 which earns me an extra 1206 on MFP ontop of my 2500 allowance, i have only been having about 2500 calories each day from fear of going over and gaining weight. 

should i be eating back the extra calories earned?

is my activity setting right?

does the calorie count seem right?

thanks in advance 🙂

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3

Hello @Kyle2756, I've moved your question about weight management out of the hardware problem boards and into the Weight management discussion board, I feel this will give you a more relevant audience. 

Best Answer

thank you 🙂

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you have a heart rate enabled tracker it can be off by about 10%.  You've lost a fair amount of time at a pretty decent rate (~8 pounds a month).  You could probably increase your calories slowly, however, I guess the question is how are you doing on that calorie limit?

According to the calculator found here: http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/bmr/

A moderately active person of your age, height, gender, weight (I put in 150 as a goal weight just because you have to put something) needs to eat 2575 calories a day.  Very active is 2865 calories.  Your 24,000 steps may push you higher still but some of that will depend on the intensity.

Since you're still tracking your food, you could add 50 calories a day (one week at a time) to see how that goes.  In other words, decrease your deficit a bit overall, but slowly.  Now the challenge becomes how to eventually drop the logging of food (if you want).  Start paying attention to the higher and lower calories meals that you eat.  You may be able to do a balance by adjusting a lower calorie lunch if you know you're going to have a higher calories dinner.

Congratulations and best of luck in your maintenance of your weight loss.  You might consider joining the weekly weigh in thread.  Most successful maintainers still continue weighing themselves in a consistent manner.  @tamado is one of those people maintaining a 100+ pound weight loss.  He's probably got better tips that I do.  I'm still going.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer