Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

calories in compared to out?!

So, I've had my Charge 2 since Sunday and I feel im eating and exercising well, my job is fairly inactive yet my tracker is reading an expenditure of 2,500-3,200 calories per day? 

I'm a 21 year old man, weighing 200lb / 14st 5lb taking around 3,000 steps per day. 

Also, I seem to be coming under my daily calorie goal by quite some way, typically ive been eating the following

Breakfast

- Grapes

- Strawberries

- Banana

Lunch

- Wholemeal bread with no spread

- Wafer thin ham (50g) 

- Cucumber and tomato included in the sandwich

- Banana

Dinner

- Wholewheat pasta (50g dry)

- Brocolli (75g)

- 1 chicken breast (baked) OR 10% fat beef mince

Ill normally snack around 9.30pm while im preparing food for the following day, typically, this is two slices of wholemeal toast with no spread.

I dont feel particularly hungry, my fluid intake is hitting my goal every day, but my calories on the app always shows 500-1000 calories left?

Can someone please share some info on this please 🙂 

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

@TomH96 - Welcome!  What's your Food Plan set to in Fitbit, and what are you trying to accomplish?  Specifically, are you trying lose, maintain, or gain weight?

You asked for people share info on being under your calorie target.  Try reading this.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@TomH96wrote:

So, I've had my Charge 2 since Sunday and I feel im eating and exercising well, my job is fairly inactive yet my tracker is reading an expenditure of 2,500-3,200 calories per day? 

I'm a 21 year old man, weighing 200lb / 14st 5lb taking around 3,000 steps per day.  

Regarding calories out: how tall are you? I used this online calculator to get a second opinion on your energy expenditure. 3000 steps would put you in the sedentary category. If you were 6 ft tall, your TDEE would be 2340 calories. Even at 6 ft 5, it would "only" be 2435. I guess it’s fair to say 2500-3200 is vastly overboard, unless you’re shaped like James LeBron.

If you’re looking to lose weight and use calories out provided by Fitbit, you’ll need to make a significant adjustment.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Good morning and thanks for your reply, 

I had forgotten to mention that I have been exercising every evening, with either a run or yoga. 

I followed the link you attached with regards to a second opinion and it seems to match the FitBit app.

Also, im 172.5cm

Best Answer
0 Votes

At 21-yo/200lbs/172.5cm, your calculated TDEE would be 2597 calories, i.e. on the lower side of what your Fitbit says you burn (2500-3200). I understand yoga is the kind of activity that won’t give you a lot of steps. However, I’m surprised you’d only get 3000 steps a day while running. Regardless of the yoga and the running, I’d say 3000 steps puts you closer to the "sedentary" category than to the "lightly active". Never mind, if you plan to use your Fitbit for calories in vs. calories out, it would probably be a good idea to start eating 2000 calories for a while and see what that does. You don’t have to eat all the calories Fitbit says you have left for the day. The scale will eventually tell you what your real deficit is.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Thanks for your help.

Ive been doing very well with regards to food, ive been hitting my water targets and exceeding them a little too, so I think that's keeping the hunger at bay thankfully! 

Also, the 'run' on Monday was only a mile, at an awful pace so It only burned around 150 calories, but its progress none the less! 

Ill keep on at it and post an update in the next few weeks! 

Best Answer
0 Votes