Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eating plans

ANSWERED

Would love some feedback on eating plans that have or haven't worked for you.

I know people who dropped weight and felt good by becoming vegan; by switching to high fat and moderate protein; or by switching to moderate fat and high protein.

All ate within a moderate amount of calories and didn't eat processed foods or sugars.  All say they felt great and saw improvement in energy, bp or cholesterol in addition to significant weight loss.

Is the key to simply eat decently, no processed foods and that's it?

What do you think?

The activity that seems impossible today, will soon be your warm-up
Best Answer
25 REPLIES 25

A-Lurker,  I enjoyed this old post from 2016 and hope you are doing well now, if you read this.  But I have a new rule for myself no bags of food. I have recently gained 15 pounds and and am trying to lose it.  So even if the bag is 90 calories I'm just going to get a small handful of chips or almonds or a cookie etc for a limited  serving.  I weigh 128 & I can't afford nearly as many calories as taller people.  I have given up wine (for 3 days so far) and I don't even miss it.  that is 300 calories a day !!!  I can lose 2 pounds a month !   I might avoid old age dementia too,  avoiding alcohol.  I sleep more not drinking that diuretic.  So far, this is my whole diet plan, other than my usual practice of eating the low calorie version of everything.  I don't really count anything.   I do have to mention I think people who pay any attention to calories "burned" are making a huge mistake.  I doubt that ever works.  None of the counting is accurate.  Exercise is critical for better health and longer life but not too helpful for losing weight.  Better to google a maintenance number of calories for your gender, age, weight, height, and activity level and then try to eat fewer calories than that.  Forget calories burned.

Best Answer

My no wine diet plan hasn't helped me lose any weight so far.  I gained a pound.  However drinking caffeine free 7-up in a wine glass is a good substitute, just for a change at the end of the day from diet cola and coffee.   I have no trouble going to sleep but for a few minutes until I do sleep I listen to a cd of rain.  I love that.  But I wore out one CD player and my new one has lights that I have to cover up with a towel.  If anyone knows a brand, like my old one that has a button for turning off all the lights let me know................Starting at age 35 we lose 1-2% of our muscle muscle mass each year, so we need to eat less and less !!!  I'm trying to resist high calorie almonds.  I do exercises to improve muscles in my hip joints in bed twice a day.  I don't mind that.  You can find them on line.   My hips have gotten better.

Best Answer

It feels good to have more people become vegans.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You can download sleep sound apps on your phone.  There's one called Honk Shoo.  Choose different sounds and length of time.  We also use it for the grandkids when they are here.  Glad you reminded me about it. I need to start using it!  I've been having a hard time getting to sleep at night.  I usually read at night but currently I'm listening to an audio book and it doesn't work the same as reading until I'm sleepy.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Beans cooked in broth or bullion is an even better diet food,   The new directions on the bag of black beans I bought suggested cooking in broth and they ARE  more delicious.  Try it cooking any kind of beans.  I'm sure you will enjoy them more.  I would never have thought of it, and I have been cooking beans for so many years.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Many animal products are dense sources of fat and calories so if you eliminate that you may reduce your calorie intake and lose weight,  Going vegetarian may help reduce cholesterol, but you need to make sure you select plant based foods that provide total nutrition.    I lost years ago on Atkins, but I couldn't sustain that for life.  I have tried it again and I just don't think it is healthy to be eating that much bacon, butter and fat. not for me.    Eating unprocessed foods has been the only food plan that seems to make me feel better.     Unless you make your own veggie burgers the ones you can buy are all horribly processed, Find what you can live with and that you will be able to handle the prep

Best Answer
0 Votes