Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fitbit and 21 day fix

I just started using my fitbit this past Monday and i have restarted the 21 day fix program. I'm looking for others that might also be doing 21 day fix.  I'm 52, live in northern Vermont. I'm in the middle of the dreaded menopause and i'm hypothroid so losing weight is a real difficult thing to do. I guess i'm just looking for some buddies near and far so we can help each other stick with it.

Best Answer
43 REPLIES 43

I haven;'t tried the 21 Day fix but I can see it can be a great tool, like WW or other programs it teaches what a serving is and has you eat XX amount of each food group. that alone is a great idea and healthy,

so many people do not know what 1 portion or 1 serving really looks like.    Like anything we buy to use as a tool it only is a tool and you have to use it correctly and learn, just like the unused exercise equipment and unopened workout DVD's they are a tool, and you have to do more than buy them, you have to use them properly.  Most 'diets' have a 'quick start' at the begining to get you motivated,  I think I read it takes 6 weeks, or 42 days for something new to become a habit, all the commercial I see about the 21 day fix show people who did it for 21 days, then repeated for months to get to goal. nothing wrong with that

Best Answer
0 Votes

I've tried different programs myself. Weight Watchers, Biggest Loser program ect. What's always worked best for me is good old fashioned calorie counting. And with apps like MyFitNessPal, it's easier than it used to be.

I checked out the 21 Day fix site. Looks like the before and after pictures are bogus. They were most likely taken within minutes of each other. In the before pic the model is pushing her stomach out. In the after picture she's sucking it in. It's a common technique. You can tell nothing else about the models have changed. Their arms, legs, necks and all that are the same size in both the before and after shots.

If the program works for you, that's great. But appears to me to be another gimmick.

Info on faking before and after shots:

http://gawker.com/personal-trainer-exposes-before-after-secrets-on-in-1189167678

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/weight-loss-photos-faked-trainer-andrew-dixon-19768949

http://www.buzzfeed.com/caitlincowie/this-is-how-to-fake-a-before-and-after-photo#.fkQk2ydPq

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/08/14/fake-before-and-after-transformation-photos_n_5677600.htm...

I use:

FitBit Aria
MyFitnessPal and MapMyRide, Garmin VivoSmart

Best Answer

@LedMatrix is correct that the 21-day fix is probably another gimmick. It's basically a mini-version of the 'biggest loser' plan: strict portion control and pretty intense activity.

These plans 'work' in that weight drops during the program, but instead of 'changing' habits for the better long-term, the body's homeostasis gets messed up. After one year, people have rebounded (often worse than before).

Wondering about those promised 'biggest loser' reunion shows?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2927207/We-fat-Former-Biggest-Loser-contestants-admit-cont...

Motivation isn't a problem; EVERYBODY wants to be fitter and thinner. Problem is that intense 'eat less exercise more' ultimately backfires on 99% of people 😞

Warner Baxter won Best Actor 1930 for "In Old Arizona"
Best Answer

I used to watch the show for encouragement until that report came out. I could never watch it ago knowing the techniques/tactics they use.

@OCDOC wrote:

Wondering about those promised 'biggest loser' reunion shows?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2927207/We-fat-Former-Biggest-Loser-contestants-admit-cont...

I use:

FitBit Aria
MyFitnessPal and MapMyRide, Garmin VivoSmart

Best Answer
0 Votes

I know some of the before and after pictures are fake or bogus, I know the idea is not for everyone and I would never say it is the end all to weight loss.  You will get out of it what you put into it.  If you are using it for weight loss alone you very well could gain all the weight back.

For me it has been the structure I need, it has been a tool to learn portion control and it has helped me discover new ways of cooking foods so they taste good without a ton of salt.  I love salt, I used to salt my food before I even tasted it because I knew it would need it.

The biggest influence has been learning to plan and prepare.  I used to just come home and whip something together for dinner, often from a box or jar.  I wouldn't eat lunch because I just didn't bring anything to work then I would get home and eat everything in the pantry, or I would grab something from the local restaurants.  Now I take the time to prepare lunch, snacks and dinner ... and I have found it is really not that hard to do.

Best Answer
It is not a gimmick. It teaches a new way of eating with portion control and workouts. It sets a limit of 21 days to give yourself a manageable goal. Please look in to things before telling people they are wrong. I've done it and it works. I love the fix!
Best Answer

Well, I'm on 21 Day Fix and I have so far lost just under 12 lbs.  I'm on week 4 which is the end of the first week of Phase 2.  I'm a testimony that this works and I'm loving every moment of it. 

A Gimmick?  I think not.

It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle of learning how to eat healty portions of healty foods and adding exercise into your daily life.  I have 1.) Lost weight 2.) Got energy back that I thought I would never experience again 3.) Became active again and feeling like I can get off my couch and do things in life other than think about what my next snack or meal is going to be.

This is a plan that teaches a lot if you truly read up on it and you incorporate it into your daily life.  It's been wonderful for me and I am a living example of how this "gimmick" is a wonderful tool in learning how you can change your whole mindset on food, what it is intended for (nutrition), how it can give you energy and how you can also turn negative things in your body like high cholesterol, high blood pressure and so forth into reverse and feel great again.

I love this program.  I will stick with this program until I reach my goals.  I feel fantastic (my husband can't believe the old me that used to have tons of energy is back) and I kick some health issues that I'm working on eliminating from my body.  This has been a fantastic ride and I'm not getting off of it until I know my ulitmate goal is reached.  I'm grateful for finding this plan.  It's been a great learning exerperience for me!

Be yourself! Everybody else is already taken!
Best Answer

I have a close friend who is close to your age and on the 21 day diet. While I didn't think it was right for me...she LOVES it and is doing geat on it! She has lost 10 pounds not following it too strictly while I am doing fitbit along and lost 6 pounds. She has to do takes and I can't...I can only walk for now. 

Different strokes for different folks. Find what works for you and run with it...just make sure you let us know about your success and failures...this community is a great support system.

Good luck on your journey!

Best Answer
I agree. I've been doing the 21 Day Fix for over a month. It has helped me with portion control, eating more of what I should rather than shouldn't, and getting into a good workout routine. I didn't expect to get to my goal in 21 days, just to get on the right track and have the accountability to help me get there. I've never felt better than I do on this program. It was worth the money that I otherwise would have spent on a trainer alone.
Best Answer
I wasn't sure about the 21 day fix. I finally tried it last October and lost 7lbs and 6in total. I think it's helpful learning to eat clean on top of portion control. The Shakeology has really helped my stomach also. I ended up becoming a coach since I was doing so well with it. My husband alone has lost 30lbs so far.
Best Answer

I bought the 21-Day Fix, but I have not done it yet!  
I plan to do the exercise portion, but not the diet/containers.  
It may not fix you in 21 days, but lifting weights and doing cardio definitely works!  
I lost 3" off my waist in 2 weeks in the past doing workouts that include weights and cardio.  Specifically, The Firm! The Firm has a 35 minute leg workout that leaves you sweating and out of breath.  It melts the fat really well!  
I also have a brand new Hip Hop Abs DVD set!  I went to a garage sale over the weekend.  A lady sold me a box of workout DVDs for $2!  It also included Winsor pilates, Tae Bo, Pilates for Dummies, Banish Your Belly and Denise Austin.  I plan to do all of them.  

Best Answer
That is awesome! Burn this inches!
Best Answer
0 Votes
Those, not this! Dumb iPad!
Best Answer
0 Votes
I'm almost done with round 5 on 21 Day Fix and down just shy of 30 lbs! This plan has taught me what a portion should be. I'm also addicted to exercise. I never thought I would say that again! Not too bad for a grandma of 6! Wooohooooo!
Best Answer
That is wonderful! You are so right. Find what works for you and stick with it. Awesome!
Best Answer

My husband and I have both been following the 21-day fix program for a year now. He has lost 35 lbs and I have lost 20 and two clothing sizes.  We aren't always perfect but are both doing the exercises and also following the meal plan for the most part.  Sometimes on the weekends we slip a little but get right back on on Mondays.  The combination of the two seems to be working for us.

Best Answer

I'm 46 and am restarting 21 day fix also.   I love it, but am just having a hard time getting weight off now.

Best Answer

@engelfisch wrote:

My husband and I have both been following the 21-day fix program for a year now.

That is what you call sticktoitiveness!  Sticking to a 3-week program for a year! Smiley Happy But, it sounds like you've made good progress.  Keep up the good work!

Best Answer

I'll be starting the 21 Day Fix this weekend. I did it for four rounds last autumn and lost 8 pounds total, and I've gained that back plus 25 extra pounds (up 8 pounds since getting my Fitbit in April). I think this time, I'll add extra pre-lunch or evening workouts to see if that helps. It's a fun set of workout routines.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Finished 21 Day Fix last week!  
Great workout program.  
I broke through a weight loss plateau.  
Lost 3 lbs in the first week!!

Just started Les Mills Combat DVD set.  Love it!

Best Answer