Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how important is drinking water for weight loss? Does it affect appetite

I am trying to get my weight down and I am trying to drink more water and tracking it on my fitbit as well as my food intake and steps. Can anyone tell me the benefits besides hydration?

Best Answer
0 Votes
5 REPLIES 5

If you are drinking water instead of say a soda, the first benefit towards weight loss is the calories! I could easily consume two 2 liters of Dr. Pepper a day if I let myself. Just think about all those calories!

Also your body NEEDS water to function. Every single part just about. The cells in your body cannot do their job if they are hydrated. The better your body's organs and systems are working the more efficient your weight loss will be because you are working against less.

Best Answer

@Bionicwoman71: I heard that drinking water before your meals reduces the appetite, which leads to less consumption of food in turn promotes weight loss. Also drinking too much water is not good for health. Also it should be the combination of diet and exercise.  Here are the few links to read more about that.

http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20040105/drinking-water-may-speed-weight-loss

http://www.medicaldaily.com/7-ways-lose-weight-drinking-more-water-your-diet-247471

Bhuvana

Best Answer

Water has many benefits. But one thing I know is that when your body is hydrated it is less likely to hold onto water making your weight loss more consistent. If you're not hydrated enough and one day you decide to drink more water than usual, your body will retain that water and it will make it seem like you gain 10lb when it is just water. Then you will be frustrated and probably throw a tantrum that you gain weight out of nowhere then quit or something. good luck.

Best Answer

@Bhuvana yep drinking a glass of water before eating helps

Best Answer
0 Votes

More than half of your body is water.  You need to be hydrated for your body to function efficiently.  Things like oxygen and nutrients being delivered throughout your body, etc...  Water is used for all functions including digestion, absorption, circulation, saliva, body temperature as well as transportation of nutrients as mentioned before.  Now think about what your body is doing when you are eating the right nutrients, exercising, etc...  Those functions are what makes use of the nutrients, makes you able to work out and gives you the energy to workout.  Without water you are basically doing all the right things in the fast lane, but your highway is jammed up.  Water makes what you do to be healthy possible.  Basically your body is constantly working for you.  Keep it hydrated and it works more efficiently.  That is the actual need.  For others...

• Can help with appetite.  What most people assume means hunger (grumbles, etc...) simply means the body needs.  Needs what?  Drink water first and then eat.  Personally I have an amount that I drink in a day and fairly regular food plan so I don't ever get said grumbles. 
  • Your body has to process water just as with digesting food.  If you were to drink water throughout the day your body is working more and can burn off an additional few hundred calories a day by doing so. In short your metabolism will be increased. 
  • Hydrate throughout the day, but make sure that you hydrate immediately before a workout and every 20-30 minutes during.  You don't ever want your body wanting water.  You being thirsty is like waiting for the light to come on in your car to tell you something is wrong with the engine.
  • Keeping hydrated with water keeps you away from the soda machine because you are thirsty.

I've read that the right amount of water and potassium helps to counter the stupid amount of sodium that we put in our bodies.  It was on the internet so take that with a grain of salt (pun intended)

Best Answer