Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tricks to running?

Hey everyone! im curious if theres a trick to running? Ive tried a few times to jog and i run out of air so fast im not sure if im doing it wrong or something Cat Tongue  thanks!

Best Answer
0 Votes
8 REPLIES 8

Couple things. First you may want to Warm Up Before A Run. Warming up before any exercise is key to progression to the exercise routine to avoid any physical injuries. After running is over, Cool Down Correctly. Lowering your heart rate to the level necessary.

For a couple users, I'd recommend checking with your doctor before engaging a run. If you have asthma, pollen allergies, or the humidity is very high, not in a controlled environment, there's symptoms of running out of air and increased chances of a heart attack if you're not careful.

An alternate solution is to be in a gym and use the elliptical machine. Building up the resistance from Fat Burn to Cardio to Peak Performance gradually. It's very tough on the muscle structure to throw yourself into Peak Performance and you can sprain your calves for example or cause a heart attack trying to throw yourself up there.

Weekends are easier for users like me where you have 2 to 3 hours to build up to peak performance. Some ellipticals have HR Interval Ratio where you can set the high to your peak performance and low to fat burning to calm your heart rate.

Best Answer
0 Votes

You do need to work yourself up to running longer distances without getting out of breath. It's not something you can just start and expect to run for miles. For me, I started on the treadmill while watching TV. I'd walk very briskly (4.2 mph) during the program part and then during commercials I committed to run at 5 mph. Pretty soon I was able to run longer than the commercials and eventually was able to run a couple miles. Granted, I wasn't breaking any speed records, but heh, I was running! 🙂

So, my suggestion is to walk as fast as you can for a few minutes and alternate with running for a couple minutes. Don't be too concerned with speed at first, just get moving. Hope this helps.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I suggest C25K. I almost completed it but my pesky sciatica had other plans. I have asthma and I have fat and I made it almost to the end. I could run most of the program. It gets you through intervals and your lungs do adapt. I have always heard to not focus on speed but use the time wisely.

Best Answer
0 Votes

no, there are no tricks to it. you just have to do it over and over again until you improve. run slower so you wont run out of air as fast.

and also, i do not believe in "warm up or cool down." i have my own pre-workout rituals, but they are more of preparing my mind for the task as opposed to "raising and lowering my heart rate because of so and so."

that's in my experience.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Tricks, no, but there are methods.

Most important, proper running shoes that are correct for *your* feet

Secondly, Pace control

I can run a 5k in under half an hour (10kph), which is the point at which "running" sort of becomes running

I can just about scrape 1k at 12kph

Me personally, I picked 5k as a target, and slowly built up speed.

Charge HR 2
208lbs 01/01/18 - 197.8lbs 24/01/18 - 140lbs 31/12/18
Best Answer
0 Votes

I'd also suggest C25K.  There are some great podcasts for free on iTunes that go through it, or a similar style running program, and tell you when to walk and when to run with music.  There is one by the British NHS that I like (NHS Couch to 5K) and one call 5k 101 by Running Mate Media, both free.  I'm sure there are apps too.  I'm working my way back up to running too.  I want to buy the Run! Zombies app when I hit my next fitness milestone (1 month at the gym).  Take it slow and wear good quality running shoes!  Good luck

Best Answer
0 Votes

get good shoes ( this is important) but do a C25K program- its a run/walk program and good for starting a running program

Best Answer
0 Votes

Learning to control pace and breathing together is the closest to a 'trick' I could offer. One of the quickest ways to learn self control is to jump on the treadmill and incrementally increase the pace when you feel you can hold the pattern of stride and breath for a long period. 

The awkward part is remembering to breathe in through the nose and out throught the mouth (avoids catching flies). For me, if I find I'm having to take in air through the mouth I'm pushing the pace and need to scale it back to maintain a steady distance run. 

Best Answer
0 Votes