Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

weight loss

does anyone know any healthy and safe but fast ways to lose weight? I am getting married in September and want to lose another 50 lbs

Best Answer
0 Votes
9 REPLIES 9

As much as I understand you want to lose weight for your wedding, if you are going for something fast just for that and only during the next few months chances are 1. you will find it hard to put the work in for 4 months and actually do it and 2. the weight will come back on afterwards. I am sorry to burst that bubble, but I also want to be honest. This does not mean you cannot lose weight before September, but I think you have to approach it in a complete different way. You have only 3 to 4 months, which is about 16 weeks, which to me sounds very challenging.

You are getting married and he clearly loves you as you are, so while it is great you want to lose weight it is not going to ruin your wedding and/or marriage if you don't lose all those 50 lbs by September. The wedding is in 4 months, but after that you still have the rest of your life ahead during which I assume you want to keep the weight off and be healthy. So think about creating a healthy lifestyle. A new way of living that will help you lose weight and be more healthy and that you can maintain for the rest of your life. Learn about healthy foods, how much you burn and what that in return means how much you can eat. See where you can increase your activity level in your life. Start making small changes instead of going for some crazy diet and workout plan all at once, but that you know you can maintain. Better to make small changes and lose less fast, but that you can maintain than fast weight loss and gaining it all back again. Just one change at a time and those changes will add up quickly.

I know this is not exactly what your question was and it is up to you what you do with it.

Karolien | The Netherlands

Best Answer

Never mind lol

Best Answer
0 Votes

The only way to lose weight is to create a calorie deficit. 50 pounds in four months is possible but requires an awful lot of lifestyle changes starting yesterday and will be placing additional stress on your life during a time that is already stressful.

That said, record honestly and manage your calorie consumption religiously while also tracking your calorie burn rate. A deficit of 1,000 calories per day equals a two pound per week weight loss. The best way to achieve this goal is to increase exercise and make smart food choices which result in fewer calories. 

Good luck with both the weight loss and wedding.

Best Answer

I think @Esya  has given you the best advice.  If you do something insane to drop weight quickly there can be side effects.  Years ago I lost a lot of weight very fast doing a very low calorie / low fat diet.  Before I crashed my hair was thinning (think lots in the shower each day. more when I combed it out).

So, start by seeing if there are any easy ways you can cut calories (liquid calories are sometimes higher than you would think).  Then start to build better habits (both food and exercise) that you can bring to your new life.  Depending on where you are starting from it's not impossible to lose a decent amount of weight.

Anne | Rural Ontario, Canada

Ionic (gifted), Alta HR (gifted), Charge 2, Flex 2, Charge HR, One, Blaze (retired), Trendweight.com,

Down 150 pounds from my top weight (and still going), sharing my experiences here to try and help others.

Best Answer

You asked a similar question a couple of months ago. At that time, you wanted to lose 64 pounds in 24 weeks (2.7 pounds per week = average deficit of 1333 calories per day). There are 135 days (19 weeks) until your wedding (congrats, by the way!), so 50 pounds in 19 weeks is 2.6 pounds per week. The calculated deficit needed is therefore still more or less the same. As to "healthy, safe, but fast", it’s a bit like "Fast, Good and Cheap, Pick any two", unfortunately. Your best bet is to pick healthy and safe, accepting it will take some time.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Congrats on your wedding. I was in a similar situation 2 yrs ago., I exercised religiously (21 day fix workouts) and ate only protein and veggies. I managed to lose it but have since gained it all back ...plus!  So I agree with the others, if you want it to be long term. Good Luck .

Best Answer

I lose an average of 5 pounds a month.  I have a 750 - 1000 calorie deficit per day, 64 oz of water each day, and have a 17,400 step daily goal.  Resistance/weight training of some sort each day but if a certain muscle group is sore I focus on another area.

Building muscle is key.  Muscle burns more calories than fat.  It weighs more too though so you'll want to focus on measurements rather than the scale but even the scale will even out in time because the extra muscle will give your metabolism and kick in the butt!  : )

You may not hit 50 pounds by September but you'll have a loss, feel better, and the changes will be evident.

Good luck!

Best Answer
0 Votes

@glitterNfunk wrote:

Building muscle is key.  Muscle burns more calories than fat.  It weighs more too though so you'll want to focus on measurements rather than the scale but even the scale will even out in time because the extra muscle will give your metabolism and kick in the butt!  : )

If you’re able to build muscle while on 750-1000 calorie deficit, this is amazing! Doing resistance training while dieting down to a lower weight is indeed an excellent idea, but the reason for it is usually to minimize loss of lean mass. The optimal environment for gaining muscle is being in a caloric surplus.

All things being equal (same weight, age, sex etc.) someone more muscular will indeed burn more calories than someone carrying a higher amount of fat. The difference isn’t enormous, however. And when you consider the time and effort needed to gain - say - 5 pounds of muscle mass and compare it to the increase in energy expenditure that results from it, the "return on investment" is rather small. Of course, there are many good reasons for carrying more muscle and less fat, but burning more calories isn’t very high on the list.

Dominique | Finland

Ionic, Aria, Flyer, TrendWeight | Windows 7, OS X 10.13.5 | Motorola Moto G6 (Android 9), iPad Air (iOS 12.4.4)

Take a look at the Fitbit help site for further assistance and information.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Does it have to be 50?  Just curious....  

I've lost 43 from 1/10/17-to today.  I've eaten about 1600 to 1800 calories a day and get in 14000 steps 5 days a week.  I'm following the DASH diet - which needs a name change because it is not a diet, it's just a good way to eat.  I'm never hungry, I eat real food (including bread and fruit).  I use the Marla Heller book, DASH for losing weight.  I eat 3 meals/2 snacks a day.  I am going to add in strength training soon. The only problem is you pretty much need to make most meals yourself and go out just rarely.  It's because almost all food at restaurants has too much sodium.  I try to stay at 1200 for sodium.  It's not a "quick fix", it's hard work to get in the exercise and plan meals and shop and cook them.  But I'm committed to doing this forever so I just look for recipes, make double batches and keep stuff in the freezer for emergencies.  Good luck and try not to focus on the number, look at how you feel - stronger, faster, energy.

Best Answer