Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AFib alerts on Fitbit Charge 4 may have saved my life

I am Jim George, 74 years of age.USA, Charge 4. Fitbit alerted me of my Afib condition a year ago. I reported it to my doctor, who said that Fitbit metrics and reports are accurate in her experience. She referred me to a cardiologist who 1) confirmed my heartbeat irregularity, that I had had a lifetime, 2) ordered a monitor for 30 days, and discovered my Afib condition. Before I could get a cardiologist appointment, I ended up in the ER, where they controlled the condition with a change in medication that now included blood thinner and diltiazem. The monitor is off, though I depend on Fitbit Charge for any additional Afib alerts. I think Fitbit may have saved my life.

I still aim for 10,000 steps daily because diet and exercise are the best medicine.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Best Answer
3 REPLIES 3
I also used my Sense to show my doctor my AFib had returned. If only it
made and sent phone calls!
Best Answer
0 Votes

The Fitbit device helped speed up the diagnosis. I took images of my Fitbit alerts with my iPhone to show the ER doctor what was happening. He used that information with other data in my records to act at once with medication. 

I did not know in advance that I should take the Afib alerts seriously and act faster to share the data with my GP.

Now, I routinely watch Fitbit notifications and hope I don't see Afib alerts. If I do, I know when to pop a pill and call the cardiologist.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Do you have to have FItbit Premium for this feature?  

Best Answer
0 Votes