Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accept yourself, Love yourself, and find new inner strength

I’ve met a lot of people here on Fitbit who have inspired me. I like to do my bit by cheering them on and inspiring them back.

Listening to others stories and reflecting on my own long fitness journey, I’ve realized that being healthy is so much more than having a resting heart rate of under 60 or hitting weights 4 times a week. Physical wellness is key to keeping the chemicals balanced and the body well-tuned, but “mentally”, and in a way “spiritually”, we’ve got to take care of yourself.

For some it may well be in religion - discovering a purpose or living towards a set of guiding principles. For many and most, it won’t, or doesn’t have to be. For those (and me), mental or psychological balance comes when you find peace with yourself. Acceptance of who you are and why you exist.

I spent too many years living in jealousy of others, anger at not being giving perfect physical attributes, or the brains to be one of the world’s “elites”. I didn’t love myself. In fact, I hated myself. There’s no way somebody who doesn’t love themselves can truly love others or give back to the world. There’s no way this kind of person can truly excel.

I know that now. I love myself now. I accept who I am. I’m not perfect, but nor is anybody I know.

Reaching that point where you are content in yourself releases you from all self-imposed limits. “I am me, but I can do anything I put my mind to” - is how I live my life now. What I achieve is a result of my own efforts. What I don’t have is due to a lack of my own passion or desires to have it.

You see, we can all blame the gods above for not getting a fair crack at the whip, or curse Lady Luck when the coin doesn’t land on heads, but we are in control of everything that happens “NOW” and now is what will impact tomorrow.

In summary, accept who you are. Love who you are. Give life the best shot you can. Be the best version of you by never restricting yourself. And, when your heart tells you something, then listen to it.

Find contentment mentally and you will be so strong you won’t recognize yourself.

A Happy New Year and may every day that comes your way be one of strength and authenticity.

Rob

Best Answer
11 REPLIES 11

@robkhoo  Happy New Year to you and yours.. 

Elena | Pennsylvania

Best Answer

Happy New Years to you as well!

Community Council Member

Wendy | CA | Moto G6 Android

Want to discuss ways to increase your activity? Visit the Lifestyle Forum

Best Answer

I couldn't agree more rob.

This past school year has greatly changed my perspective on life and death... mainly because of music. I have come to accept my existance more, and have started to try even harder to be the best I can, Mentally, Physically, and Emotionally.

I still have moments where I debate in my head about what an everlasting afterlife would be like (get scared of being bored), and if I was to die, or start to slowly die, what would I do.

Oh well, My thoughts wander a lot. Probably too dark for this website. I listen to too much sad music.😂

Liam

Best Answer

Hello @SunsetRunner . You're at a most interesting stage of life. It's something most of us have already lived through and quite honestly, wouldn't want to relive. One thing we can't stop is growing up and so at different times, we begin to look at our inward growth, as you are. Sad music has it's place, but there are so many great uplifting songs. It's fine to think about your life, but try to think of it in terms of what you're doing now and how to improve it. Putting too much thought into what you'd do if you were dying isn't going to help your mood. Try thinking about the good things in life and not about the darker things. A friend of mine used to allow herself five minutes a day to think about the negative things of life. More than a few minutes spent thinking about the doom and gloom of this world can really make you feel depressed. Think about what a bright future you're going to have because you're already aware of how precious life is. You want to be your best and you're moving toward that goal. Never look back, but keep going forward. You can do this!

Stepping in the U.S.A. since September 2013. Android 14

Best Answer

I know, Sometimes I don't feel like listening to upbeat music, you know? I am definitely not depressed, sometimes I am almost too happy. I don't look back as much as I think on "what ifs". I sometimes wonder myself why I do it? Part of me wonders if I do that to somewhat understand what other people are going through in life because I have not ever had something like that happen in my life, since I have had a very lucky upbringing when it comes to the people I live and interact with. I don't know tho, what do you think? I should probably stop rambling. 😜

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner  I'm wondering if you ought to be keeping a journal, so that years from now you can see just how insightful you were as a teen. This was a most unusual school year for many students. Were you able to do any studying at home? I can't imagine the changes so many have had to make. You seem to want to understand others and that's a good thing. Is it possible you're a writer?

Best Answer

I wish I was a writer :), and my schooling didn't change too much, Because this year I did virtual school, so I basically stopped going in once a week and had 1/4 of my school work not count. 😉 I also have been keeping a journal for about 2-2 1/2 years now, I'm the kind of person that dates and logs anything I can, (workouts, BSA campouts, day-to-day, etc). Thanks for talking w/ me, Peace.

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner  why not consider writing something for the forum? click to see what's going on

Best Answer

I'll think about it, I'm not the best at guiding people on doing it from a distance if you know what I mean. My exercise includes yard work, running, biking, and youtube videos. 😁

Best Answer

Excellent @SunsetRunner, thank you for sharing your experience and interests. 

Let us know if you start a new topic here on the forums, we'll be happy to participate in the discussion! 😎

Davide | Italian and English Community Moderator, Fitbit

Ti invito a partecipare nelle nostre discussioni! Commenti

Best Answer

@SunsetRunner  check out this link - click - and see if you'd like to post something. People do come to the forums and share their experiences. 

Best Answer
0 Votes