Cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any equestrian fitbit users out there?

It is nteresting to see that my riding exercise is logging just as strenously as the time I spend in the gym. (I am do Eventing and Dressage). I knew it, but trying to convince others that horseback riding can be great exercise can is a challenge sometimes ("doesn't the horse do all the work?" just like the mountain does all the work in skiing). Anyway, I would like to connect with other equestrian fitbit users in the community, if there is anyone out there. 

-Debbie in NH

Best Answer
38 REPLIES 38

My daughter rides/shows and is an Assist. Mgr. at her barn.  It's not just the riding that keeps her moving and staying healthy, she averages 12 - 15 MILES a day on her Fit Bit!  I need to start doing what she's doing!

Best Answer
0 Votes

My first post - and it went to the wrong place.  Smiley Frustrated

Best Answer
0 Votes

I ride and I just got a Fitbit HR. I waited until the HR came out because I knew that the other versions would count my horse's steps, which wouldn't be an accurate measure of exercise I get.

My horse is just coming out of rehab, so we mostly walk for 50-60 minutes with maybe a few minutes of trotting. Looking at last week I found that on days I ride I burn 2000-2500 calories. On days I don't ride and don't exercise, I burn about 1500-1600 calories.

I realize I should use a heartrate monitor on my horse as well. He gets ridden 5 times a week. It would be interesting to see how fit that is making him. I can't wait to get out on the trail again and see what that does. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

Yes I ride my horse quite a bit while wearing my fitbit..I feel as though I'm cheating however. My non horse friends want to challenge me but complain that it's not fair that I wear my fitbit while riding. I'm in a dilema about this. I really do a lot of steps on my own-a daily minimum of about 10,000 or more. But when I go ride I chalk up another 10,000 or more. I'm don't think I should be apologizing for winning all the challenges. I'm just not a couch potato in the daylight hours. Any thoughts on this? Should I remove my fitbit while riding? My gut says no....I feel like I'm getting a workout by riding my horse.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Not fair?? Hummm,  Riding a horse is exercise, yes the horse is taking the steps but the rider has to balance. Many non-riders think we just "sit" there.  It takes balance, core strength and muscle endurance of the rider to stay on a horse, especially for long rides.

I used to take off my fitbit when riding simply because I was afraid I'd lose it, but have started wearing it riding now.  I log time on my dash board  I spend riding, as riding.  Regardless of what people say, it is exercise!

I also don't get why people get so hung up on "steps".  There are days my steps are less than 10,000 but I certainly wasn't sitting on the couch.  those are the days I focus more on heavy weight training than whether or not I get a X amount of steps in.  Or I'm helping hubby on the farm driving tractors, building, mending fences, etc.  These activities don't always involve 10,000 steps.

gypsylee,  I get that you're in a challenge, but I'm just saying I see so many posts on here that seem to be focused on who/how and why certain individuals are getting a lot of steps, and questions like "are they cheating" or "such and such is unfair", just sounds childish to me.  I couldn't care less, as long as I know I'm active during the day, I'm good.

Best Answer
0 Votes

@gypsylee wrote:

Yes I ride my horse quite a bit while wearing my fitbit.

Do you get more steps when the horse is walking (4 beat gait) as opposed to the faster trot (2 beat) or canter (3 beat)?  

Best Answer

@gypsylee wrote:

My non horse friends want to challenge me but complain that it's not fair that I wear my fitbit while riding. 

I think it's unfair also, in a step competition.  Horse-back riding was invented because riding is easier than walking or running. 

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have a Flex, and use it when I'm riding. It seems (not that I've been very scientific about it) that it logs her steps as mine, and it doesn't really make a difference whether we're walking, trotting, or cantering.

I don't see how it would be "cheating" if your goal is exercise. I get more of a workout riding her than I do walking on my own. Walking doesn't make me saddle sore if I take a week off. 😉 I get more of a workout at a canter, too--heart rate up, I'm more likely to break a sweat (she is kinda bumpy!), but that doesn't 'count' more on the Flex than walking. But when I'm riding, I'm also building arm muscles, calf muscles, thigh muscles ... it's definitely more exercise than just walking around a track or in my neighborhood.

I suppose if you want to ONLY count walking steps, nothing else, you could take your Fitbit off. I'm not sure why other exercise wouldn't be interesting to note, but everyone has different goals. For me, I want to be active for a certain amount of time as many days as I can--whether that's step aerobics or walking or riding or treadmill or something else. It's all good. The Fitbit works for me because it pushes me to do more. If I know I'm near my goal, and I'm still mounted, I might ride another 10 minutes or so till I feel that buzz.

Best Answer

"Cheating" would be if you strapped your Fitbit to your horse's bridle and sent her/him out into the field to run around while you sat back on a hay bale with a large milkshake.

Riding is faster than walking, but it is certainly not easier.

Best Answer

Hi, I'm trying to decide wether or not to change from my one to Charge HR, I want to see my heart rate when riding, when schooling I can get out of breath, surely that's exercise! However, I dont want it to count my horses steps, how do you go about this with the Charge HR?

Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes I have the Charge and it is very accurate with heart rate. I'm still not sure how to do that. I know you can manually enter your exercise but haven't figured it out yet. I've been taking it off before riding out and leave it in my locker Til I get back

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
That's hilarious! I might have to give that one a try!

Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes
Yes, riding is definitely a workout and my heart rate definitely goes up. However, the people I compete with on the Fitbit step challenge are non-riders..so to be fair on those challenges , I remove it before I mount up. I miss it because I especially love seeing how far my horse and I have ridden as well as all the exercise. I need someone to show me how to manually enter exercise.
Sent from my iPhone
Best Answer
0 Votes

If you want to wear your fitbit while riding that's fine.  But please know it becomes cheating when you accept a challenge and you continue to wear your fitbit during a ride.  I agree that riding is exercise and can be a very good workout.  However, there are many workouts (wightlifting, rowing, etc.) that can work you just as hard and don't give you steps.  Wearing your fitbit during a challenge is cheating - take it off.

Best Answer
0 Votes

I have horses as well. Not riding yet this season but hope to soon. 

Join me at Ladies with horses or horseback riders groups

Best Answer
0 Votes

I'm also a rider and not all that far from you. I hope to be at Shawnee soom this summer. I'm near Owensboro KY. We often go to German Ridge IN. Shawnee has amazing riding. I have not been there in years.

Join me on Ladies with horses or Horseback riding groups.

Best Answer
0 Votes

Sorry, that was supposed to be Women with horses.

Best Answer
0 Votes

If you log the time you ride as Driving it doesn’t count towards your step goal. But you’ll still get your heart rate. 

Best Answer

I’ve been trying to find horse related groups in Fitbit community. Please could you add me to some? 

Best Answer
0 Votes